want to use my own wifi router
merk3
Enthusiast - Level 3

What would i need to do to make the current verizon wifi router as dumb as possible? I want to use my own router as I already have everything configured on it the way I want. I just want the verizon router to give me an internet connection and not do anything else at all. 

1 Solution
logan81
Contributor - Level 3

If you really wanted to you could run an ethernet cable from the ONT (white box where the COAX is plugged in) to your wifi router, thus bypassing the Verizon router completely. You would just need to call technical support and ask them to switch the data port from coax to ethernet. Typically they can do this remotely without send a tech out, it would just be up to you to install the ethernet cable. Just a thought, otherwise you can do the bridge setup.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
33 Replies
merk3
Enthusiast - Level 3

@viafax999 wrote:
In that case just scrap the Zerizon router and put your own in it's place.  Howver by default your VZ router is probably connectedv via coax(( MOCA).  request to Verizon to change your provisioning to ethernet and then connect your roter directly by it wan port to the ont's ethernet connetcion.  The ont is the verixon connection device at your house that has a coax connection, an ethernet connection and several telephone connections - depends on your home interface type

Ah - i wonder why the install tech didn't do that to begin with then? He specifically ran some coax cable from the ONT to an unused phone outlet. I wonder why he didn't just use ethernet cable instead. I suppose i could do it myself - i'd just have to crawl around in the attic and try to feed the ethernet cable down along the coax cable.

Is there any difference between connecting with coax versus connecting with ethernet? Without knowing anything further about it, using ethernet makes more sense to me since every router/switch works with ethernet. 

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@merk wrote:

@viafax999 wrote:
In that case just scrap the Zerizon router and put your own in it's place.  Howver by default your VZ router is probably connectedv via coax(( MOCA).  request to Verizon to change your provisioning to ethernet and then connect your roter directly by it wan port to the ont's ethernet connetcion.  The ont is the verixon connection device at your house that has a coax connection, an ethernet connection and several telephone connections - depends on your home interface type

Ah - i wonder why the install tech didn't do that to begin with then? He specifically ran some coax cable from the ONT to an unused phone outlet. I wonder why he didn't just use ethernet cable instead. I suppose i could do it myself - i'd just have to crawl around in the attic and try to feed the ethernet cable down along the coax cable.

Is there any difference between connecting with coax versus connecting with ethernet? Without knowing anything further about it, using ethernet makes more sense to me since every router/switch works with ethernet. 

You have to have the ont provisioned for ethernet.  That has to be a request from you to verizon.  It does not require an installer visit they just change the provisioning and then the connection to the gateway router is ethernet rather than coax.  By default it is coax and the installer had a Verizon router that had a coax connection so that's what he installed.  There is no issue with you using your own ethernet router instead of theirs.

0 Likes
merk3
Enthusiast - Level 3

@viafax999 wrote:

@merk wrote:

You have to have the ont provisioned for ethernet.  That has to be a request from you to verizon.  It does not require an installer visit they just change the provisioning and then the connection to the gateway router is ethernet rather than coax.  By default it is coax and the installer had a Verizon router that had a coax connection so that's what he installed.  There is no issue with you using your own ethernet router instead of theirs.

Ok - so if i get ambitious enough to crawl around in the attic and try to run some ethernet cable down along the coax cable, i can just plug it my router. i wish I has know this 2 days ago - would have just asked the tech to run the ethernet cable then.

Anyhow, thanks for the info from everyone.

0 Likes
logan81
Contributor - Level 3

the answer is that the Verizon tech is more experience with working with Coax than ethernet because he does coax cables all day every day and rarely does ethernet cables. But yes it would have made more sense for him to do an ethernet line. I guess if you did want to add TV service later then it would be helpful to already have the coax line there because you will need that if you get TV service. There are some in depth technical differences that we could talk about concerning the difference between coax and ethernet.... but it doesn't really matter that much to you except for the fact that the coax cable means you have to have a cable modem and an ethernet cable means you don't need the cable modem.

logan81
Contributor - Level 3

If you really wanted to you could run an ethernet cable from the ONT (white box where the COAX is plugged in) to your wifi router, thus bypassing the Verizon router completely. You would just need to call technical support and ask them to switch the data port from coax to ethernet. Typically they can do this remotely without send a tech out, it would just be up to you to install the ethernet cable. Just a thought, otherwise you can do the bridge setup.

0 Likes
nouf1979

Hello,

I have been having serious range and signal issue with my Verizon Actiontec router, and I am planning on using it as a bridge to connect it to my own Cisco Router to get better signal and range. After complaining too many times, Verizon is sending a technician on Saturday and I can ask him if he can run an ethernet from the box to connect the router if possible, as my house is wired kind of weird.

Until then, can anyone help with the instructions or steps to set the Verizon router as a bridge?

Thanks,

Nick

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@merk wrote:

What would i need to do to make the current verizon wifi router as dumb as possible? I want to use my own router as I already have everything configured on it the way I want. I just want the verizon router to give me an internet connection and not do anything else at all. 

Go into firewall settings on the Verizon router and select dmz host to expose 1 internal IP address to the outside.

Configure your router's wan connection to be that IP address

Configure your router to be a different subnet other than 192.168.1

connect a lan port of the verizon router to the wan port of your router

done.

skasol
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am too trying to use my own router mainly to have a better wireless signal at home. I have the asus AC2400 and I do have verizon Tv running on my Tivo HD's. mostly everything is hard wire but when I get on wifi my signal isn't as good and that is with thier quantum router. so I would like to use my own router. I don't have any port forward but would like to disable the verizon router and just use mine for wireless if possible and get the verizone for all the wired stuff. is this possible? I do have to control my receiver and tv with my iphone and they need to be in the same network. 

Thank you in advance for anyone helping. 

0 Likes
webdevii1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@skasol wrote:

I am too trying to use my own router mainly to have a better wireless signal at home. I have the asus AC2400 and I do have verizon Tv running on my Tivo HD's. mostly everything is hard wire but when I get on wifi my signal isn't as good and that is with thier quantum router. so I would like to use my own router. I don't have any port forward but would like to disable the verizon router and just use mine for wireless if possible and get the verizone for all the wired stuff. is this possible? I do have to control my receiver and tv with my iphone and they need to be in the same network. 

Thank you in advance for anyone helping. 

What your going to need to do is the following:

1. Be sure your ONT that is the box that the Fibre wire connects to, you will see a bunch of lights on the left side, one will say MoCA, the one right above that will say Ethernet,  You need to put in a request to have your ONT provisioned to change the Ethernet over MoCA to the Ethernet Port.  It will still leave your Actiontec router inline to broadcast your Guide via MoCA, however it will also enable the Ethernet Port which by the way is Giga-E to enable you to plug in your own Router for the Internet.

The way I did mine is I found a 3rd Tier Support person in Austin Texas that was willing to do it for me.  It does take an installer to come out and do the verification, there is no physical work that needs to be done,  All they do is Enable that port from their Central Office.  It is also FREE!!

Then you would disable your Actiontec Router portion in the setup menu. That allows the TV portion to still remain active but disables the Internet portion so as not to interfere with your own router.

Next Plug a Cat-6e Cable into the Ethernet port on your ONT and the other end into the WAN port on your router (usually the Yellow Port), Then as in any other router configuration set up your router as you normally would.  Keep in mind The old Internet Standard was to have an ISP Modem that would connect to your Router. With Fibre service the ONT becomes your Modem. Once that is all complete you may need to contact Verizon, when you do BE SURE YOU LET THEM KNOW THAT YOU ARE NOW ON Ethernet over Ethernet not MoCA then ask them to Release and Reset your IP pool and it will take several Minutes to dish out a new WAN IP, When the Green light beside the Ethernet label on your ONT lights up you know your connected.

Resume as normal as you would for any other ISP internet service.

It took me probably 3 months to push and politely press to get this done, by no means get an attitude or be forcefull with the 3rd Tier reps,  be as nice as you can as this is not a provided feature although they are Tarriffed to do it.

you just have to find the right rep that will work with you.  Then the end game is you will connect your "ASUS RT-87U" 4 way MU-MUMO router and have blazing fast speeds as FiOS does not Cap any service speeds over 75 Mbps service, and it is Syncronous ie: 75 up and 75 down.  I am paying for 75 / 75 and attaining over 100 Mbps true thruput.

That is how it is done.

The last thing is buy high quality Molded Ethernet Cables Cat-6e which supports 10Gbps at 200' Max distance, you can buy them at PI Manufacturing for dirt cheap, 100' cost me roughly $20.00 and so on.

Good Luck, get bakc to me if you need any further assistance

Dev

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@webdevii wrote:

The way I did mine is I found a 3rd Tier Support person in Austin Texas that was willing to do it for me.  It does take an installer to come out and do the verification, there is no physical work that needs to be done,  All they do is Enable that port from their Central Office.  It is also FREE!!

Then you would disable your Actiontec Router portion in the setup menu. That allows the TV portion to still remain active but disables the Internet portion so as not to interfere with your own router.

Next Plug a Cat-6e Cable into the Ethernet port on your ONT and the other end into the WAN port on your router (usually the Yellow Port), Then as in any other router configuration set up your router as you normally would.  Keep in mind The old Internet Standard was to have an ISP Modem that would connect to your Router. With Fibre service the ONT becomes your Modem. Once that is all complete you may need to contact Verizon, when you do BE SURE YOU LET THEM KNOW THAT YOU ARE NOW ON Ethernet over Ethernet not MoCA then ask them to Release and Reset your IP pool and it will take several Minutes to dish out a new WAN IP, When the Green light beside the Ethernet label on your ONT lights up you know your connected.

Resume as normal as you would for any other ISP internet service.

It took me probably 3 months to push and politely press to get this done, by no means get an attitude or be forcefull with the 3rd Tier reps,  be as nice as you can as this is not a provided feature although they are Tarriffed to do it.

you just have to find the right rep that will work with you.  Then the end game is you will connect your "ASUS RT-87U" 4 way MU-MUMO router and have blazing fast speeds as FiOS does not Cap any service speeds over 75 Mbps service, and it is Syncronous ie: 75 up and 75 down.  I am paying for 75 / 75 and attaining over 100 Mbps true thruput.

That is how it is done.

The last thing is buy high quality Molded Ethernet Cables Cat-6e which supports 10Gbps at 200' Max distance, you can buy them at PI Manufacturing for dirt cheap, 100' cost me roughly $20.00 and so on.

Good Luck, get bakc to me if you need any further assistance

Dev

____________________________________________________________________________________
You make it sound very hard.
All you need to do is to call support and request a change to provisioning of your ont to ethernet.  They will do it over the phone with you, takes about 15 minutes.
Before you have them make the change make sure you release the ip address that your verizon router has.  Logon to the router and select my network, network connection and release the ip address and then immediately disconnect or turn off the router.
You can use cat 5 or cat 6 ethernet cable, they both support gigabit with no issues.
You may want to read this for information on various connectivity options
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077
webdevii1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I guess it is easier now that when I had to do it in 2007, I am glad to hear it is just a quick support request!!  Also be sure you are using a higher end router ie: Netgear 8000 or ASUS AC87u and use the DD-WRT or ASUS - Merlin WRT firmware.

Otherwise thank you guys for the updates and expanding my knowledge on the changing of the MoCA port to the Ethernet port on the ONT

Dev

0 Likes
skasol
Enthusiast - Level 2

so I got them to swith my ONT To ethernet and now my wireless connection is really crappy. I was averaging about 100mbps now is down to 9mbps, nothing has changed the location of the router or anything havent' changed, haven't added any new items to the network. only thing that happened was the coax to ethernet, my wired connection is good but it was always good. any thoughts?

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

You say the location is the same, but what router are you using for WiFi?

If you are using still using the Actiontec and also another router for WiFi you need to have them on different channels.   

Since you are getting your contracted speed when directly connected to the router using an Ethernet cable you will have to trouble shoot your WiFi on your own with suggestions from peers on this board since the problem is on your wireless LAN and isn't a FIOS problem.     If you are no longer have your Actiontec router hooked up Verizon will do very little to help you until you put it back as your primary router.  Changing from MOCA to Ethernet for your WAN connection should have no impact on your upload or download speeds.

Good luck!

0 Likes