At least 10 HD Channels "Currently Unavailable"
DMD301
Enthusiast - Level 2

I live in the DC/Baltimore area and for weeks now, we have experienced pixelation, tiling, freezing on all three set top boxes.  At least 10 HD channels are "currently unavailable" and their SD channels do not come in without pixelation.   Every day it gets worse.  More channels are dropping and the pixelation is affecting more channels including the MLBN channels.  It is playoff time!

We have tried all of the troubleshooting guidance provided by the website and Verizon Tech, Kristy, but the problem remains. Kristy said this was due to a "channel frequency update that would be fixed in 24 hours.  She followed up the next day and told me to "be patient and that four states were affected by this issue".  I reached out on Next Door social media and this does not seem to be a problem with all Fios Verizon customers.  We have been a Verizon subscriber for almost 20 years.  This is not an issue with the TVs themselves, as we have replaced the TVs in al three locations in the last 5 years and coaxial has been upgraded.  I have run the self diagnostic test on almost every channel good or bad and it says the SNR level is "poor" and the OOB is "good".

We are concerned about this issue because we pay additional costs for the "currently unavailable" channels.  

Thank you to anyone in advance for any guidance and assistance! This is so frustrating!
1 Solution
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@DMD301 wrote:

Thank you for your response.  I have asked my neighbors and they seem to have no problems.  We have rebooted everything except the ONT box.  My husband will be replacing the splitter from the ONT box to see if that remedys ALL of the problems.  FYI we have an approximately 20 year old ONT box if that matters and all of the lights on the box are green. 

As Dexman said, the 20yr old ONT is probably the issue. Call Verizon support, explain the age of the ONT and the issue and they should replace it for free. While they are there make sure they replace ANY splitters in the system as they are probably the older type.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@DMD301 wrote:

I live in the DC/Baltimore area and for weeks now, we have experienced pixelation, tiling, freezing on all three set top boxes.  At least 10 HD channels are "currently unavailable" and their SD channels do not come in without pixelation.   Every day it gets worse.  More channels are dropping and the pixelation is affecting more channels including the MLBN channels.  It is playoff time!

We have tried all of the troubleshooting guidance provided by the website and Verizon Tech, Kristy, but the problem remains. Kristy said this was due to a "channel frequency update that would be fixed in 24 hours.  She followed up the next day and told me to "be patient and that four states were affected by this issue".  I reached out on Next Door social media and this does not seem to be a problem with all Fios Verizon customers.  We have been a Verizon subscriber for almost 20 years.  This is not an issue with the TVs themselves, as we have replaced the TVs in al three locations in the last 5 years and coaxial has been upgraded.  I have run the self diagnostic test on almost every channel good or bad and it says the SNR level is "poor" and the OOB is "good".

We are concerned about this issue because we pay additional costs for the "currently unavailable" channels.  

Thank you to anyone in advance for any guidance and assistance! This is so frustrating!

Do any of your neighbors have the same problem? If not, can you ask Verizon for a new splitter and replace the old one? Have you rebooted the ONT, router and the boxes? Could be a regional issue, but usually the SNR would still be good, that's why I suggest checking with neighbors and if there signal is good, replacing the splitter first.

DMD301
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your response.  I have asked my neighbors and they seem to have no problems.  We have rebooted everything except the ONT box.  My husband will be replacing the splitter from the ONT box to see if that remedys ALL of the problems.  FYI we have an approximately 20 year old ONT box if that matters and all of the lights on the box are green. 

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

An old ONT could be the problem. Hoping that Verizon replaces it with a current model [Alcatel-Lucent (Nokia) 211].

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@DMD301 wrote:

As Dexman said, the 20yr old ONT is probably the issue. Call Verizon support, explain the age of the ONT and the issue and they should replace it for free. While they are there make sure they replace ANY splitters in the system as they are probably the older type.

DMD301
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for all of your advise which was accurate.

Let me share my experience. Our appointment time was from 2-4. My husband left work early and tech never showed. Several frustrating calls, texts to Verizon about the no show tech who wasn't supposed to "log out for the day until all his jobs were complete" another experienced tech arrived at 6:40 p.m. Because he wasn't my assigned tech he did not have all of the required equipment so he had to rely on yet another tech in the area to supply him with my new "server" box....that was 9:00 p.m. We are "supposed to be receiving another piece of equipment in the mail". That tech stayed and helped until it was finished. Because of faulty boxes, they did not finish my job until 12:40 AM. This job was only an updated equipment swap! Unbelievable and unacceptable! Thankfully we are up and running with no pixelation and we have all of our channels back! What I learned from this tech was this.....if no one arrives by 2:45 call! If you are having a problem with service, demand a tech to come to your home. Don't believe their bogus excuses. Bottom line for the problem.....the ONT box was outdated and not able to receive and send a strong signal to the router that then runs to the boxes.  They did change the ONT box, splitters and exchanged all of the boxes. Therefore, no more pixelation, freezing or channel problems.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry to hear about the extended service, but at least they stuck with it until it was done. Good to hear it was resolved with no further issues though. At least you have that to be glad about.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed. Please feel free to open a new thread for further discussion. Thank you.

0 Likes