BBC America HD on FiOS?
ThetaSigma
Enthusiast - Level 1
I heard that BBC America HD is launching in mid-July. Does anyone know if FiOS is going to pick that channel up?
116 Replies
JDinNJ
Enthusiast - Level 1

Another vote for BBC America HD, PLEASE.

ABCMD
Enthusiast - Level 3

Another vote here for BBC America HD...

Some of the most interesting shows on TV are on BBCA, imo....

This saga has been going on for years on FIOS, other channels slowly being added, but not BBCA/HD....

What is the "qam" issue referenced earlier in this thread, and is it still relevant?

Can anyone from verizon tell us how close is this addition, and why it has been taking so long?

0 Likes
glugglug
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm thinking the QAM issue refers to the fact that even though the FIOS signal is delivered to your house through fiber, it gets converted to the same signal format that everyone else's Cable boxes/Tivos/PC tuners can understand by the ONT.

The QAM spec has 38.4 Mbps of bandwidth on each frequency (vs. OTA ATSC which has 19.2, so a minimum of 2 HD channels per QAM frequency is possible without recompression).

Since I'm using an InfiniTV 4 CableCARD tuner in my PC as my primary DVR, I can see the channel map that lists what QAM each channel is delivered on in the web interface for the card.   FIOS is currently using 122 of the 134 QAMs between 2 (57MHz) and 135 (861Mhz).   Normal cable providers have much larger blocks of channels unused by TV for all the cable modems to use.

They could go up to 158 instead of stopping at 135, but this would most likely interfere with the MoCA network between the Actiontec and the set top boxes, and is also the upper channels might be flaky with a lot of amplifiers and filters.

What other cable companies are doing is either going to very buggy SDV, or overcompressing the channels to stuff 3-4 HD channels per QAM, introducing extra compression artifacts and lots of stuttering in the feed from their buggy recompressors.

A better solution would be to send the video as H.264 instead of MPEG-2 for many times better compression ratios without sacrificing quality on a lot of the channels, as is allowed by the ATSC 2.0 spec (although not used anywhere in North America yet other than by satellite providers), and has been the standard for Europe and Satellite TV for some time  (I'd say 2x better for stuff with barely any motion, 11x for action videos).  This would break a lot of older set top boxes, but I'm not sure FIOS has any.  Maybe 1st gen CableCARD TiVos as well, but I doubt that.  It would break my Linksys extender so I'd have to replace that with an XBOX.  Many of the channels are already sent to the cable companies as H.264, and then converted to MPEG-2 for north american set top boxes.

glugglug
Enthusiast - Level 3

My CableCARD downloaded a new channel map today -- 40 new "channels", all named "Unknown".  They are in only 4 QAMs though (10 to a QAM), so can't possibly be HD.  I'm hoping this is a space now reserved to move SDs from other QAMs to to free up space for some more HDs.

Also, I think I pretty much verified the reason there is nothing above QAM 135 is because it would conflict with the MOCA networking.  I had a problem where a MoCA adapter was causing problems on FX HD, Travel HD and a few others.  It turns out the MoCA LAN between the Actiontec and the set top boxes (or in my case the adapter to get the network upstairs) is at the 3rd harmonic of the frequency for these channels so I need to add a low pass filter to get rid of the interference.  These low pass filters are built into the set top boxes for the same reason.  The MoCA connection between the Actiontec and the ONT is at only 1GHz instead of the 1150MHz used by default for the LAN, so the low pass filter they are using can't be too far above the in-use channels (Comedy Central HD is at 861MHz).  

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@glugglug wrote:

My CableCARD downloaded a new channel map today -- 40 new "channels", all named "Unknown".  They are in only 4 QAMs though (10 to a QAM), so can't possibly be HD.  I'm hoping this is a space now reserved to move SDs from other QAMs to to free up space for some more HDs.

Part of the screwup that caused many Verizon boxes to drop lots of channels off the favorite list, and recordings to be skipped.   Pretty sure no real channels were added or deleted.  Supposively corrected now.

Make sure your CableCARD downloaded another map with the right channels.  Check any series and other programs you have scheduled.

0 Likes
charliewatts
Contributor - Level 2

Part of the screwup that caused many Verizon boxes to drop lots of channels off the favorite list, and recordings to be skipped.   Pretty sure no real channels were added or deleted.  Supposively corrected now.

Thanks for posting that!!!!!

What a frustrating few days.  I had Showime HD shows that didn't record, local ABC shows, too.

Plus nearly 25% of my Favorites channels were wiped out, on all my boxes!

0 Likes
glugglug
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hah, using Windows Media Center with an InfiniTV 4, I had none of these issues...  Just the MoCA interfering with FX HD, Travel HD, Lifetime HD and a couple others.

0 Likes
glugglug
Enthusiast - Level 3

I see 5 new channels got added today:

I guess them getting rid of Funimation didn't last, heh.

Channel Name Modulation Frequency (kHz) Program EIA

ChannelNameModulationFrequency (kHz)ProgramEIA
134Bridges TVQAM256789000469123.469
260FunimationQAM256777000156121.156
634Smithsonian Channel HDQAM25611700065799.657
1470Game HDQAM25640500074454.744
1471Game HD 2QAM25640500061554.615

Somehow I have a hard time believing there could me more demand for Smithsonian HD than BBC America HD, DIY HD, or Cartoon HD.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@glugglug wrote:

I see 5 new channels got added today:

I guess them getting rid of Funimation didn't last, heh.

Channel Name Modulation Frequency (kHz) Program EIA

ChannelNameModulationFrequency (kHz)ProgramEIA
134Bridges TVQAM256789000469123.469
260FunimationQAM256777000156121.156
634Smithsonian Channel HDQAM25611700065799.657
1470Game HDQAM25640500074454.744
1471Game HD 2QAM25640500061554.615

Somehow I have a hard time believing there could me more demand for Smithsonian HD than BBC America HD, DIY HD, or Cartoon HD.

134 and 634 are the new locations of Smithsonian.  Not new just moved.

260 is now a VOD.

I don't see 1470 or 1471, but this is typically in the range of Sports events such as MLB and NHL.

Bridges and Funimation are still gone.

0 Likes
glugglug
Enthusiast - Level 3

The channel I can pick up with the CableCARD tuner on 260 is not an on-demand.

Looks like "Disney Junior" not funimation though:

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

When I checked earlier it was showing as VOD in the guide.  I hadn't actually tried tuning to it.  However its been announced that sometime on 3/22 they added Disney, jr at that slot.

0 Likes
rpfeirstein
Enthusiast - Level 3

But not one word from Verizon about the screw up to our boxes and how to fix the situation. Very Very poor customer relations. When my contract expires I just may switch back to TW (something I never thought I would say).

Richared

0 Likes
glugglug
Enthusiast - Level 3

5 more channels appeared in the map yesterday.  Matching them with the list on this site, they all appear to be part of the "La Conexion" Spanish package.  Still no BBC America HD.

0 Likes
Alex8701
Enthusiast - Level 1

Shock...Channel 689 - showing color bars today, but it's named in the guide: BBC America HD.  Can't wait for Top Gear etc.

0 Likes
jonahlee
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yea, works in LA. TIVO'ed Copper in HD. Finally! Wish they had done this years ago when it was first released in HD!

0 Likes
iguru42

BBCAHD is working for me in Massachusetts now.

0 Likes
philhu
Contributor - Level 2

Until Fios fixes their QAM problem, that keeps them from adding channels, which they PROMISED a fix in Sept last year, Fios cannot add more than a handful of new hd channels.  They are 3-4 months late fixing the QAM problem.

0 Likes
jonahlee
Enthusiast - Level 3

Anyone heard anything on the QAM problem? They sure aren't adding any new HD channels without cutting some out. It is really starting to make me angry! I want BBC America HD!

0 Likes
brit7317

Yet another vote for BBC Amercia HD please please please!. The year's dragging on amd still no sign.....

0 Likes
greg_m5
Enthusiast - Level 2

One more vote for BBC Amercia HD!

0 Likes
equal_Mark
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can someone explain to me who, exactly, is tallying these "votes?"

0 Likes