Box has sound but no picture. I unplug hdmi and picture comes back
flyingslugs
Newbie

This problem just started yesterday. I have no picture on my tv but have sound. I can see the Fios channel guide and the picture display of suggestions when I turn it on though. I unplugged the hdmi to my tv and put it back in and the picture was fine. Once I turn off the tv and put it back on, I get the same issue. I even changed the hdmi ports and still the same issue. I have no issue with an Xbox connected to the tv. I even plugged it into a smaller tv to see if it was the plug and it worked fine there. I dont want to have to unplug and plug back in the wire to watch tv everytime.

Thank you for your help.

0 Likes
Reply
28 Replies
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@flyingslugs wrote:

This problem just started yesterday. I have no picture on my tv but have sound. I can see the Fios channel guide and the picture display of suggestions when I turn it on though. I unplugged the hdmi to my tv and put it back in and the picture was fine. Once I turn off the tv and put it back on, I get the same issue. I even changed the hdmi ports and still the same issue. I have no issue with an Xbox connected to the tv. I even plugged it into a smaller tv to see if it was the plug and it worked fine there. I dont want to have to unplug and plug back in the wire to watch tv everytime.

Thank you for your help.


Next time you have a picture, go into the video menu in the Fios box and set the output resolution to 1080i. That should solve the issue.

louieshowers
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am experiencing this with my Dynex television. Same exact issue.  It happened since the guide format was updated. It's the mini stb for me. I changed it to 1080i and it did not work for me. 

0 Likes
Reply
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@louieshowers wrote:

I am experiencing this with my Dynex television. Same exact issue.  It happened since the guide format was updated. It's the mini stb for me. I changed it to 1080i and it did not work for me. 


You mght need to go into the Service menu. Power off at the box, OK 2X on remote, you see an info page. Left arrow near circle, Scroll to user menu, go to HDMI, set resolution to 1080i, hit ok, power off box.

louieshowers
Enthusiast - Level 1

I did that as well.  It doesn't work.  As soon as I turn the TV off, I am forced to unplug and reconnect the Hdmi cable.  This has something to do with the new update for sure.   I believe the problem is referred to as a handshake issue.  I am going to call Verizon and report the issue. Thank you for trying to help. 

0 Likes
Reply
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried a different cable, or input on the TV? Also try: menu>customer support>top support tools>Fix Fios TV issues. Also make sure HDR is disabled in Video settings menu and resolution is set to 1080i not 1080P. Also beginning to wonder if the HDCP version on the TV is up to the standard required for the Fios box. A great article on HDCP is here:

https://www.hdfury.com/how-can-i-fix-the-hdcp-error/

louieshowers
Enthusiast - Level 1

yes, i tired all of this. the tv and box worked flawlessly for years until the update was pushed out.  I even went into the service menu of the stb and changed the format to 1080i etc.  I also used the troubleshooter in the settings of the stb and the picture comes on only after a full reset.  When i power down. I lose picture and only have audio.  If i unplug and plug in the hdmi cable, everything works fine until i shut off the tv.  THis ia very annoying,  Also, it is next to impossible to talk with fios tech support over the phone these days.  Frustrated, but i appreciate you trying to help.  It is a classic handshake issue that happened after fios changed their guide .

0 Likes
Reply
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@louieshowers wrote:

yes, i tired all of this. the tv and box worked flawlessly for years until the update was pushed out.  I even went into the service menu of the stb and changed the format to 1080i etc.  I also used the troubleshooter in the settings of the stb and the picture comes on only after a full reset.  When i power down. I lose picture and only have audio.  If i unplug and plug in the hdmi cable, everything works fine until i shut off the tv.  THis ia very annoying,  Also, it is next to impossible to talk with fios tech support over the phone these days.  Frustrated, but i appreciate you trying to help.  It is a classic handshake issue that happened after fios changed their guide .


Which APR and what model of TV are you using? I'll try to get to support with that info. Also try reaching out to VZ support on Twitter, or on DSL reports VZ direct forum.

louieshowers
Enthusiast - Level 1

I really appreciate your help!  I'm using the wireless capable mini stb (ethernet connected) 1gb connection, dynex tv. I'm pretty tech savvy. In the past, I've had the reverse issue, where I only had the picture, but no audio. That was solved by switching the hdmi audio format in the service menu of the stb.  I would really love a solution! Thank you again! 

0 Likes
Reply
Christinet1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I’ve started having the same issues this morning, this just started after whatever update was sent out 1/12/2021

0 Likes
Reply
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Christinet wrote:

I’ve started having the same issues this morning, this just started after whatever update was sent out 1/12/2021


Which APR are the Fios boxes on, what TV and Model are you using? These go directly from box to TV, not through a receiver or soundbar right? Need the info for tech support.

louieshowers
Enthusiast - Level 1

UPDATE:  I finally got through to a very pleasant tech support rep yesterday.  He was baffled and ruled out the HDMI cable as the issue, since once you unplug and reconnect everything works fine.  He agreed that it was related to the firmware update in my particular case.  Also, when I say that I do not have a picture,  I should include that I am still able to see the banner channel and program info, as well as the full guide.  There is just no image to the audio.  As a result, he assumed that my ARRIS mini STB in the fios 1gb connection did not handle the firmware upgrade and something malfunctioned in the box.  He shipped me out a new MINI STB.  I will try today and post back if that solved the issue.  I am not optimistic that it is a defective box.  I guess we have to out rule everything though..  This is a pain.

0 Likes
Reply
louieshowers
Enthusiast - Level 1

RECEIVED NEW BOX- SAME ISSUE PERSISTS.. This stinks.  Anyone have any other suggestions?

0 Likes
Reply
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@louieshowers wrote:

RECEIVED NEW BOX- SAME ISSUE PERSISTS.. This stinks.  Anyone have any other suggestions?


Need make and model of TV, did you try a new HDMI cable? Which input on TV are you using? Do you go through a soundbar or receiver? Do you have ANY other cables connected to the mini besides the HDMI cable?

louieshowers
Enthusiast - Level 1

It was told to me that I am at the mercy of Verizon software engineers to fix this issue.  It's 100%related to the update that fios pushed out and they are aware of the problem occurring with certain tvs.  Total inconvenience because I asked if I could roll back to the earlier version that worked for me and was told no. This is what happens when you don't beta test new rollouts.  What is Verizon's timeline for this fix?  I will be requesting a partial credit on Monday when customer service opens.  (Dynex Tv.  Arris Fios mini stb. Fios gb connection, connected with ethernet cable and hdmi) 

0 Likes
Reply
Netta63
Newbie

Any solution yet? I have had this happening for a month or so on one tv and last week it started on a second tv!! I can’t take it and am ready to switch back to optimum!

0 Likes
Reply
louieshowers
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well, I pretty much demanded a credit today very politely.  I suggest you do the same.  I will request the credit for the box rental each month until they offer a solution. It's only fair business in my opinion.  I have spent lots of time troubleshooting it! Good luck.  

0 Likes
Reply
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@louieshowers wrote:

Well, I pretty much demanded a credit today very politely.  I suggest you do the same.  I will request the credit for the box rental each month until they offer a solution. It's only fair business in my opinion.  I have spent lots of time troubleshooting it! Good luck.  


Have you tried setting the Fios box to 1080i in the video settings menu? This sounds like an HDCP issue. Have you checked for a firmware update from TV mfr? Unplugging and plugging the hdmi cable back in forces the TV and box to renegotiate the HDCP handshake. You COULD try putting an HDMI switch between the Fios box and TV which would then do it's own handshake with the TV. Can get one really cheap on Amaz.

louieshowers
Enthusiast - Level 1

@clem53 wrote:

@louieshowers wrote:

Well, I pretty much demanded a credit today very politely.  I suggest you do the same.  I will request the credit for the box rental each month until they offer a solution. It's only fair business in my opinion.  I have spent lots of time troubleshooting it! Good luck.  


Have you tried setting the Fios box to 1080i in the video settings menu? This sounds like an HDCP issue. Have you checked for a firmware update from TV mfr? Unplugging and plugging the hdmi cable back in forces the TV and box to renegotiate the HDCP handshake. You COULD try putting an HDMI switch between the Fios box and TV which would then do it's own handshake with the TV. Can get one really cheap on Amaz.


THanks for the reply.  Do you have a link to that device.. I may grab one if it is dirt cheap!! haha.   I have done everything on my end, including switching to 1080i.  As far as a firmware update to my tv, it is an older flat screen tv and I guess I could check.  It is not a smart tv which would require me to do it through the service menu and usb.  Never did that before.   Thanks!

0 Likes
Reply
Netta63
Newbie

How do you set it to 1080i??

0 Likes
Reply
louieshowers
Enthusiast - Level 1

@Netta63 wrote:

How do you set it to 1080i??


You can go into menu, settings, and choose video settings, under format you can scroll through the varies settings.  However, it did not work for me.  Let me know if that helps you!

0 Likes
Reply