Changing Channels - Tutorials Too Quick On The Draw - Pilot Error?
starrin
Contributor - Level 3

Wife and I are new to FiOS, having a Triple Play installed Monday.  With both the provided remotes and the Harmony remotes we use for our 2 HDTV, we are apparently having an operator problem.  Frequently we don't wind up on the selected channel, but wind up being sent to a tutorial.  If we go back to "LAST" and re-enter, we just reenter the crap shoot, and have no idea where we will wind up.  Best I can think of to describe it is that the dwell time is too short electronically between the remote and the box, while our "push" time is too long.  We're trying, but frustration only makes it worse.

We have the whole house set up with a 7232 in the family room and a 7100 in the MBR.

The problem exists for both.  We can go to the GUIDE, get the channel and jump, but come on.  We may be old, but we're not dumb.

HELP PLEASE!

0 Likes
Re: Changing Channels - Tutorials Too Quick On The Draw - Pilot Error?
Justin46
Legend

@starrin wrote:

Wife and I are new to FiOS, having a Triple Play installed Monday.  With both the provided remotes and the Harmony remotes we use for our 2 HDTV, we are apparently having an operator problem.  Frequently we don't wind up on the selected channel, but wind up being sent to a tutorial.  If we go back to "LAST" and re-enter, we just reenter the crap shoot, and have no idea where we will wind up.  Best I can think of to describe it is that the dwell time is too short electronically between the remote and the box, while our "push" time is too long.  We're trying, but frustration only makes it worse.

We have the whole house set up with a 7232 in the family room and a 7100 in the MBR.

The problem exists for both.  We can go to the GUIDE, get the channel and jump, but come on.  We may be old, but we're not dumb.

HELP PLEASE!

Now that is a mystery, at least to me!

Lets get the Harmony remotes out of the picture (I have no experience with them) and focus on using the Verizon-provided remotes. What are you trying to do when this happens, enter a specific channel number, like 504 or 570? If so, how many digits are you entering, 3 or 4, are you hitting ok afterward or just waiting for the switch to complete? Or is this when channel-surfing up or down the channels? Have you set up a Favorites list to avoid all of the channels you don't care about? If not, maybe this is part of the issue, Verizon sprinkles some pretty useless stuff throughout the channel lineup if you view the Guide with All Channels.

I'm sorry but I just don't understand at this point what you are doing to experience this, I think further explanation is needed.

Since you are new to FiOS TV, I hope you won't mind my suggesting you read the following document on setting up and using FiOS TV:

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/attachments/vrzn/IMG19/1989/2/FiOS%20TV%20IMG%20Getting%20Started_201...

I have not updated the info for the newest level of the Guide, 1.9.1 (which you may not have received yet), but probably 99% of the information is unchanged.

Hope this helps. And please tell us more of what you specifically are doing.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
starrin
Contributor - Level 3

Justin previously replied, and in part said:

Now that is a mystery, at least to me!

Lets get the Harmony remotes out of the picture (I have no experience with them) and focus on using the Verizon-provided remotes. What are you trying to do when this happens, enter a specific channel number, like 504 or 570?  If so, how many digits are you entering, 3 or 4, are you hitting ok afterward or just waiting for the switch to complete?

This is purely shifting from one 3-digit CH to another.  We only hit 3 digits, do not press OK, but the channel change is almost instantaneous.

Or is this when channel-surfing up or down the channels?

Don't CH surf but do surf the Guide.  As I said, if we go to the Guide and then jump to the next channel it works fine - but part of that is that if we get a wong CH there it is easy to fix

Have you set up a Favorites list to avoid all of the channels you don't care about? If not, maybe this is part of the issue, Verizon sprinkles some pretty useless stuff throughout the channel lineup if you view the Guide with All Channels.

Recognize the need to set up a favorites list.  Haven't gotten to that yet. Have spent most of my work-on-the-FiOS time squaring away the network. ( My PS3 doesn't play well with others.  It took 2 1/2 computer engineers (sons and grandson half way thru college) to set it up last time)

I'm sorry but I just don't understand at this point what you are doing to experience this, I think further explanation is needed.

I think it is how we press the buttons, having worked for years with the COX Box and appropriate remotes.  I think these boxes/remotes just respond faster, so that if one dawdles while pushing buttons, or pushes too hard (and thereby too long) that digits repeat.  Am retraining myself and the wife, and I finally see some headway being made.  And, now that we know where the digitis appear, we occasionally see a digit repeat when we screw up

Thanks for your help.  I really like FiOS.  The wife - perhaps not.

starrin

0 Likes
savant1
Enthusiast - Level 3

..And, now that we know where the digitis appear, we occasionally see a digit repeat when we screw up

Compared to previous generation STB's from the cable companies, these boxes do respond faster to the remote input, and they change channels faster. As you discovered, it will repeat the number if you press and hold a button too long.  I think you are on the right track and will eventually get used to it by watching the numbers appearing on the screen as you mentioned.

Also, if you enter a channel number that doesn't exist the STB will jump to the next lower channel. For example, entering any number from 722-730 (which are unassigned here) always changes to channel 721. The highest channel is the TVInfo Tutorial channel on 1952, so anything entered above that number will switch you to 1952 (the next lowest). Most likely your long push on the remote is causing a repeat number entry (as you mentioned) and you to enter something above that channel (e.g., 5022 instead of 502) and end up on 1952.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@starrin wrote:

I think it is how we press the buttons, having worked for years with the COX Box and appropriate remotes.  I think these boxes/remotes just respond faster, so that if one dawdles while pushing buttons, or pushes too hard (and thereby too long) that digits repeat.  Am retraining myself and the wife, and I finally see some headway being made.  And, now that we know where the digitis appear, we occasionally see a digit repeat when we screw up

Thanks for your help.  I really like FiOS.  The wife - perhaps not.

starrin

As savant said, I think you are on the right track. Most definitely if you press a button too long on a Verizon remote it registers two or more times (again, don't know about the Harmony remotes).

It is interesting to me that you say after pressing three buttons that the response is so quick. For me, on all of the STBs I have had for almost 7 years now, the delay after pressing only 1, 2, or 3 digits is about 2-3 seconds after pressing the last button. But if I enter all 4 digits (0570 for example) or after I enter 1, 2, or 3 digits if I press OK, the change really is instantaneous (I tend to be very impatient, maybe you and your wife aren't Smiley Happy ).

Again, since you are new to FiOS, I hope you will read the document I linked to, I think it may help you use FiOS more effectively. For example, I have charts in there documenting what I have figured out about various button presses on the remote when watching live TV, a recorded program, etc., Verizon has not documented most of them and sometimes they are not at all obvious.

Anyway, hope your wife starts to like FiOS better.  

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes