DVR FF function
topcapt
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was watching a Law and Order episode I had not seen when I had to go out so I hit REC on the DVR. When I had time later this evening, I started the replay. After a while, during a commercial break, the screen went black, but the audio was still playing. I could hear it was a VZ commercial that was on, even if I couldn't see it. The screen being black, I hit FF. Nothing happened. I tried it a few times, but nothing. It occurred to me that VZ was not going to let me skip around their commercial, even though the commercial wasn't running properly.

Is this a preview of coming attractions where VZ will be suppressing the FF function during commercials on recorded programs?

0 Likes
Re: DVR FF function - Probable Faulty Recording Session
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@topcapt wrote:

... Is this a preview of coming attractions where VZ will be suppressing the FF function during commercials on recorded programs?

If this is a serious question, then the serious answer is "no."  You've encountered a defective recording session and without further technical details it's unlikely that a correct explanation will be forthcoming.

What you can do is record another show on a commercial channel, play it back, and then try fast-forwarding through commercials.  If this doesn't work it will be quite surprising, assuming the DVR is not defective in the first place.  Please give it a try and let us know the result.

0 Likes
Re: DVR FF function
topcapt
Enthusiast - Level 3

I assure you I am most serious. For the commercials immediately preceding and following the "black" screen VZ occurrance, the FF function in fact is fully operational. And I recognized immmediately, as you suggest, that the defective "execution" of said commercial was due to either a - hopefully "one of" type - transitory DVR issue or a transmission failure of some sort.

However, the fact that it was a VZ commercial for which I lost control appeared to me a little too coincidental. I am aware also that there has been some press lately in which the ability to skip commercials has been noted as a sore point among content providers and advertisers ... players crucial to the well-being of VZ's FIOS TV ambitions. Hence, I posed the question .... and when you think about it, what better place for VZ to begin playing "Big Brother" on their DVRs than in protecting their own self-interests first.

Your "no" was delivered in a very authoritative way. As I am not well-versed in the nuances of these forums, shall I interpret that to mean you indeed speak directly as a representative of VZ on this matter?

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@topcapt wrote:

... Your "no" was delivered in a very authoritative way. As I am not well-versed in the nuances of these forums, shall I interpret that to mean you indeed speak directly as a representative of VZ on this matter?

Yes, at times my direct approach can resemble some dreaded authority, and I apologize if that's the impression I gave.  To paraphrase Aristotle, even moderation can be carried to extremes.

These forums are designed to operate on a peer-to-peer basis, and "official" Verizon representatives have a badge or avatar that identifies them as such (Moderator, Administrator, Support, Employee, etc.).  I am a regular user and Verizon customer like you, as are most who post here.  I write here often so my numbers and symbols can be confusing to a new arrival (BTW, welcome!).  I want to re-emphasize that right or wrong, I speak only for myself and my views are not intended as anything beyond that.

Please consider trying my suggestion about re-recording an appropriate session and report back with the results.  All of us would be interested to learn that something as alarming as what you suggest is either possible or actually happening.

0 Likes
topcapt
Enthusiast - Level 3

LOL ... I am relieved to learn you are not from the Dark Side. As for your suggestion, I have tried FF on recordings new and old and as yet, the only point of failure I can find is during that specific VZ black-screen commercial. With that in mind, I feel most certain I have witnessed first-hand then the corollary of a FIOS UFO ... but one which fortunately has otherwise left me unharmed.

I would caution though that while it may seem fanciful to some that there could be such a thing as "Big Brother" lurking in our collective DVR future, I suspect it is in fact inevitable that some attempt(s) will be made to reel in DVRs. There is a lot of money at play and if certain stakeholders decide revenues are "threatened", the ease, comfort, convenience, and enjoyment of DVR practitioners - IMHO - will finish a distant last place.

Thanks for taking the time with this.

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@topcapt wrote:

... while it may seem fanciful to some that there could be such a thing as "Big Brother" lurking in our collective DVR future, I suspect it is in fact inevitable that some attempt(s) will be made to reel in DVRs. There is a lot of money at play and if certain stakeholders decide revenues are "threatened", the ease, comfort, convenience, and enjoyment of DVR practitioners - IMHO - will finish a distant last place ...

I agree that such a turn of events is possible (if not inevitable).  Only the uninitiated will suggest that the FCC isn't in bed with Big Media (al la the Agriculture Department and Big Food).  Sooner or later most folks will agree that even us paranoid folks have real enemies.

If you want to see the future now, follow the current legal battles concerning Aereo:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CEMQFjAC&url=http%...

0 Likes