DVR and external hard drive
wmoran

My DVR is at 82% capacity so I decided to add a 1tb external hard drive.  I made the connections and rebooted both the new HD and the DVR.  On the DVR menu I now have two drives, one called the internal and one called the external.  The internal is still at 82% and all the new recordings seem to be going onto the external drive since it is indicating about 5%.

I have read where others who have added an external HD have seen their capacity go from the original capacity, say 82%, to 20% or so after adding the external HD.  They still see only one storage drive on their DVR menu.  How to I get my two drives to combine into one, and why are my new recording going onto the new drive, leaving the original drive stuck at 82%?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DVR and external hard drive
PJL
Master - Level 3

@wmoran wrote:

My DVR is at 82% capacity so I decided to add a 1tb external hard drive.  I made the connections and rebooted both the new HD and the DVR.  On the DVR menu I now have two drives, one called the internal and one called the external.  The internal is still at 82% and all the new recordings seem to be going onto the external drive since it is indicating about 5%.

I have read where others who have added an external HD have seen their capacity go from the original capacity, say 82%, to 20% or so after adding the external HD.  They still see only one storage drive on their DVR menu.  How to I get my two drives to combine into one, and why are my new recording going onto the new drive, leaving the original drive stuck at 82%?

I think what you are seeing is how it works -- it reports the capacity of both drives separately.  The software always places new recordings on the external drive until it is filled up -- that's the way it works. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@wmoran wrote:

I think what you are seeing is how it works -- it reports the capacity of both drives separately.  The software always places new recordings on the external drive until it is filled up -- that's the way it works. 

0 Likes
wmoran

So the DVR drive will start to fill only after the external is full?

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@wmoran wrote:

So the DVR drive will start to fill only after the external is full?

Yes, the external drive is filled before the internal is used for new recordings.

0 Likes
wmoran

Thanks.  I may not see that because I don't know I'll ever fill a 1tb drive.

0 Likes