Re: FIOS Channel Guide is virtually useless
ignatz713
Enthusiast - Level 1

Are you interested in switching from the overcharging of FIOS? Cablevision is sending people to the consumer's HOUSE to get customers, the crooks are THAT desperate. It is, of course, gratifying to see, since for 28 years, they were the only game in town.

Be aware, though, that at the end of the two year $125. BARGAIN they are offering for EVERYTHING, that their price skyrockets to the outrageous rip-off prices that FIOS charges for their garbage.

Your choice. Isn't it nice that you have one now?

0 Likes
MiMeQu21
Contributor - Level 3

Justin,

I agree with you that Verizon will do what it wants and won't change unless there is a reason for them to change.  What I find unbelievable is that Verizon would shut off the message light indicator because too many people called and complained about a light on.  Really?  That was enough to get them to move on this issue when there are tons of issues on these message boards that pop up on a daily basis yet Verizon does nothing about those?  I don't know what type of cable system these people had before, but I have never had a cable company or satellite company that didn't use message light indicators on their boxes.  Why can't Verizon give people the option to shut off the message light indicator if they don't want to use it?

As for why my new message indicator does not work, you got me.  I have called Verizon, but as per usual, their answer always is to pull out the plug so the box resets itself.  That is their answer for everything, kind of like their "control-alt-delete" solution to TV issues.

I think the problem most people have on these boards is that it seems Verizon could care less.  From puny storage capacity on the DVR boxes, to filtering out stations you don't get, to message issues, for most customers, these seem to be things that should have been taken care of by Verizon a while ago.  Fios has been out long enough.  But there always seems to be a problem with a STB, there always seems to be some issue they can't figure out (anyone else have volume issues on their TV?), and customer service and/or the repair department, through no fault of their own, don't know what to do at times. 

Take a look at another thread that should still be on page 1 concerning the MLS Direct Kick Package.  Just read through those posts and see how clueless Verizon was as to why they were accepting orders for the package but no games showed up the first week, and why Verizon for some reason can't have MLS games on while the NBA season is still on.  It seems the people at Verizon don't tell their front line people (customer service) what the problems are so that they can relay them to the customer.

I may be saving money with a bundle package, but I can say without any hesitation that for the problems I had with Directv, their service and content were not at issue.  They did not change around their TV packages or channels (can anyone explain why some channels are part of the Prime and Ultimate Package, but not the Extreme Package, for example, The Hallmark Movie Channel?  How does that make sense?). 

I am done venting now. 

Justin46
Legend

MiMeQu,

1) Re the message light: all I know is what was said in the response. As you could hopefully tell, I too want Verizon to use the message light.

2) Re the message indicator: as I said, I suggest you talk to other FiOS users in your area, it may just be a local issue. And if it is, the support people you call are not going to know anything about it. And if it is a local issue, you need to get a bunch of people to report it, that is the only way it will get fixed.

3) Re Verizon not caring: First, I hope you understand that I am NOT a Verizon employee, and if you have read many of my posts you have seen that I do criticize them when I think they deserve it. But I think you are generalizing their inaction in certain areas unfairly as not caring. For example, the DVR size of 160 GB. Many people have complained about that; I do not know the technical details, but someone who does seem to have a great deal of knowledge about Motorola DVRs has said in the past (here and at other forums) that the Motorola DVRs have hardware llimitations built into the box to limit the size of the hard drive. He has said that even if you put a larger hard drive in, the box itself will only use 160 GB. I don't know personally that that is true, but keep in mind that Verizon buys the DVRs from Motorola, they got what they could get (he has also said that Motorola doesn't offer anything bigger than 160 GB, I think that is about to change and go up to 320 GB). Now sure, Verizon could have chosen a different brand, but I don't think any of them had the MOCA support that Verizon wanted to use, at least at the time they started FiOS development, so they had no choice but Motorola.

Also, keep in mind that FiOS TV first became available in Sept. 2005, less than 5 years ago. The competition has been out there how many years to mature and develop? Lots and lots, for example I first got cable in 1981 I think. So Verizon is really very new in this game, they have made mistakes for sure, but I really do think they care, it just isn't easy to change things overnight when you are talking about a new distribution technology and a current install base of maybe 3 million or so custonmers.

I have had FiOS TV from I think the second week it became available. While I have some issues with the service, they generally do not rise to the same level that you seem to have. I am a mostly satisfied customer, the service works and works well for me, and I think for a large majority of their customers. If you look at customer satisfaction surveys by various organizations, FiOS generally comes out on top or in second place, way ahead of many of the cable companies. But of course if you are used to the specific features and functions of a particular service, and then change to a different one, you are likely to have frustrations with some parts of the new service.

One last comment: if you are basing your view that most people are dissatisfied with FiOS TV on what you see here and maybe at other forums, I think that is a mistake. Stop and think for a minute: if you are happy, do you go to a forum and post how wonderful some service or product is? Almost certainly the answer is no. But be dissatisfied, even if it is a minor item to most people, you jump on the nearest forum and rant (please, not picking on you, you are not ranting in my view). so naturally what you see here and at other furms are a very, very small minority of the users. And what I said is true of every provider in the country - calbe or satellite. Go to any of their forums and you would think they were the worst, most inept and uncaring company ever created.

I know I am not going to change your views, but I hope maybe this may give you a slightly better perspective on how and why another user views the service and the company differently than you do.

Keller, TX 76248

MiMeQu21
Contributor - Level 3

Justin,

I do know that you are not a Verizon employee, and I apologize if any of my posts seemed to suggest that.  I also agree with you in most respects.  For the most part, even if it does not seem like it, I am happy with the service.  But you are correct, I am used to some things from other companies that I assumed (I guess wrongly) were standard across the board.  I am surprised that with the might and clout of Verizon, that they could not get something better than a 160MB DVR or some of the other things they do.  In the grand scheme of things, they are not that big of a deal, but as a customer, as I am sure you feel at times, that when you are payin several hundred dollars each month, you come to expect certain things, and when you don't get them, you get frustrated.  You feel that no one is listening, so you resort to forums such as this to commiserate with others. 

The lack of getting new messages is not a big deal, but again, kind of annoying.  I have gone into my mail box at times and have seen messages that were there from several weeks ago.  And when you hear the same thing you always hear, "Pull the plug on your STB and reset," you get further annoyed.

As I said, this is not a rant against you or anyone else here.  It is just some frustration that I share with others on this forum about certain issues.  I had issues with Directv as well, as I am sure most of us have had problems with cable/satellite companies from time to time.  It really irritated me with the MLS Package when I ordered it an no one knew why it wasn't showing up.  The answer I got the most was to wait for it, that it would come on eventually.  To me, that is not an acceptable answer.

I will get off my soapbox now.  Thanks.

daisyhead

I am a newbie to FIOS - I upgraded about  2 weeks ago  Smiley Tongue  I am in disbelief that I can't filter down 1400 channels to a manageable set of  channels of interest.  Personally our household wants to remove channels with foreign lang -religion - sports -shopping- music.

I spent over 2 hours trying to manage my favorites thru the online app. To do this  I had to reference the channel lineup (the installer had given me) *and* the numerical online channel listing .  The channel guide printout is in small font, spans 3 pages, and uses color coded dots and it's rendered in  columns so you often end up searching 3 pages to find a channel.  My favorites are still not configured correctly because I am missing a bunch of local channels that weren't listed in those lineups.    

I  recommend a way to filter my channel guides by  subscription package (ultimate/extreme/etc) that would give the user a more manageable starting place.   

I also recommend Verizon establish metrics by timing  a new user in customizing his favorites channels (including finding and printing references)!

Frustrated!

0 Likes
JRTEMT
Contributor - Level 2

FYI,

If you spend time programming your FAVORITES and call tech support and they RESET YOUR STUB

you lose your FAV settings.  No way to back 'em up either. 

Our GUIDE has been a point of frustration in my household which usually results in the remote control being tossed around the room when we cannot SEARCH for the movie we want, kids are yelling at us to turn it on, newspaper listing has it scheduled  

but

the useless SEARCH engine in the GUIDE takes a nap!

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human
history -- with the possible exceptions of hand guns and tequila.
Mitch Ratliffe

0 Likes
gs42

I also agree with the original poster. Here I am online, scheduling a recording and I have no idea if I actually get that channel. I have better things to clutter my brain with. That's what computers are for!

Why isn't there an option to show me only the channels I get? I know if I want to pay more I can get more channels...

0 Likes
cxg331
Contributor - Level 1

Absolutely amazing {please keep your posts courteous} Sad commentary on what our country has turned into.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@gs42 wrote:

I also agree with the original poster. Here I am online, scheduling a recording and I have no idea if I actually get that channel. I have better things to clutter my brain with. That's what computers are for!

Why isn't there an option to show me only the channels I get? I know if I want to pay more I can get more channels...

I guess I don't understand your problem. All I do is click on the appropriate Favorite (FAVS1 or FAVS2) so it lists only the channels I have defined in my Favorites, and thus I see only the channels I want to see:

Do you not have at least one Favorites list defined in your DVR? If not, that is currently the only way to hide all of the channels you have no interest in. Here is a link to a thread on easily creating and using Favorites lists:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/Exploiting-FiOS-TV-Favorites/td-p/9935

Keller, TX 76248

Dasis
Enthusiast - Level 1

I don't normally have a major problem with the guide but now I just have to be flipping though and right above Sesame Street is the show "Another Gay Sequel: Gays Gone Wild!"  That's great for me and even better for the kids to see.  There should be a way to hide channels without having to go through Favs.