FiOS Mobile App -- no STB found
RobHunt
Contributor - Level 1

Recently installed FiOS Mobile App on a Nexus7 tablet, (w/WiFi-only access within home).

I can use the view live and DVR mgmt portions of app, but can't seem to get the remote to work.  When I tap the remote icon, it searches and then states "No Set-Top Box is available".  I've already searched the forums and found this "solved" issue, but I fear my situation is a bit more complicated.

Of note, the DVRs and other major wired devices (ether or coax) are on the Vzn (Actiontec) router's sub-net of 10.0.0… (the DVR's IP is 10.0.0.100).  The wireless is run from a personal wireless router** (the Vzn Actiontec's radio is turned OFF) whose subnet is 10.0.2…

So, the question is, can the FiOS Mobile App span subnets when searching for STBs?  And if not, why then can other portions of the app (e.g. Settings-->My Set-Top Boxes, and DVR menus) correctly list AND NAME ALL the set-top boxes in the residence?

**The wireless router is from a pre-FiOS configuration and has management capabilities not available on the ActionTec, if anyone is wondering why I'd prefer it over the Vzn-supplied router.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FiOS Mobile App -- no STB found
RobHunt
Contributor - Level 1

@PJL wrote:

The STB and the device must be on the same subnet because they communicate directly with each other.  The other functions you mention are server based, which is why they work out of the home.  The are device>>Verizon server>>STB and back.

Well then, if any Vzn tech developers are listening**, I'd suggest they'd enhance the app to rely on the metadata that the DVR mgmt and "my set-top boxes" uses to obtain the list of available devices to (remote) control, making the app more resilient to non-vanilla network topologies.  (Which, I'd bet will become more prevalent in residential subscribers' networks.)

Truly, it's poor programming to rely on such a construct as being on the same subnet.  If you've already spent the effort to provide/use metadata to make the other functions work seamlessly, why not apply the programming consistently throughout the entire app?

**Already submitted feedback via mobile app.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

The STB and the device must be on the same subnet because they communicate directly with each other.  The other functions you mention are server based, which is why they work out of the home.  The are device>>Verizon server>>STB and back.

0 Likes
RobHunt
Contributor - Level 1

@PJL wrote:

Well then, if any Vzn tech developers are listening**, I'd suggest they'd enhance the app to rely on the metadata that the DVR mgmt and "my set-top boxes" uses to obtain the list of available devices to (remote) control, making the app more resilient to non-vanilla network topologies.  (Which, I'd bet will become more prevalent in residential subscribers' networks.)

Truly, it's poor programming to rely on such a construct as being on the same subnet.  If you've already spent the effort to provide/use metadata to make the other functions work seamlessly, why not apply the programming consistently throughout the entire app?

**Already submitted feedback via mobile app.

0 Likes
RobHunt
Contributor - Level 1

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now...

(...considering this topic concerns a TV remote and by looking at the app store screenshots, the app appears to be no more than the real-world object.  Was hoping for an interface that was more like other portions of the FiOS Mobile app (e.g. channel guide) that rely on tablet-based gestures and keyboard.)

0 Likes
littleoldlady2
Enthusiast - Level 1

In a residential application, why would the STB's and device running the app be on different subnets? 

Do you really need to modify your network configuration to get this app to work when the remote app is connected to a FiOS router?

Verizon never ceases to dissapoint me...

LOL

Willl1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Problems having:

"There are no set-top boxes found"

Before I get into it this does not include all tech support, just someSmiley Mad

Well I have been trying to get some kind of work around from Verizon techs and what a disappointment! I have basic triple play with actiontec (M1424WR Rev. E) router & DVR service. I have a iPhone 5 with the fios appt. (It once worked)

I have reached out to tech support, latest as of yesterday and we went thru basic resetting routers and DVR with no luck. And then they reset it thru there end with no luck. So they put another person (tech) to help trouble shoot with no luck and the funny enough while I was on phone with them the call got disconnect! No call back nothing, no email either. Also to let everyone know if not familiar when they do full reset you dont lose recordings but you do lose favorites and you personal setting for DVR. As for router you will be reset to original setting's on router, so you will need to change your admin password and check other setting you might of done. Like wpa which in last months they sent out notices to update setting for more security.

So I guess what needs to be know is there no work around for these issues and the app is that flawed that its not worth having?

Are they coming up with some kind of upgrade to address issues like this?

I have seen in some of forums of similar issues with android phone apps also.

To finish off by time I was done with tech support there was no way to even attempt to use the app as even a remote, I don't know if I mentioned before I called tech support I could still use the remote but not the DVR and TV listings not being available.

somebody help us

h2omelon

I am having the same problem. What do I need to do in the router settings to resolve this issue?

0 Likes