Re: FiOS Mobile Remote App (Apple and Android) DVR control doesn't work
PJL
Master - Level 3

@ddsp wrote:

I downloaded the new FIOS Mobile Remote to both iphone and ipad but all they do is get caught in a loop showing an error message.

For both I entered my Verizon username and password. 

Both then tried to sign in, put up a white screen "Fetching Data" and then failed with the message "WARNING There are no Set-Top boxes associated with your account.  You need at least 1 Set-Top box to use FIOS DVR Manager".   The error message lasted a few seconds and then went away without my pressing the OK button.

From then on the app gets ccaught in a loop:  it has the white screen sith "Fetching Data" and the spinning circle, then displays the error message for about a second, removes the error message for 2-4 seconds, and then displays it again.

When I close the app and restart it, it gets caught in the same loop.

I have three PDRs and three standard set top boxes.  

• From the TV controls. I can see the three DVRs and their recorded and scheduled shows
  • When I log into my VZ account,  I can see the three DVRs and their recorded and scheduled shows.  
  • When I access the modem controls, I can see all the IP Address for all of the Set Top units.  

I have deleted and reinstalled tha app.  I have rebooted my VZ router and the DVRs. 

The only non-standard aspect is that we needed to change the router's subnet:  the VZ router is 192.168.2.1 so the Set Top boxes (COAX connections) are all in the range 192.168.2.100 to 192.168.2.150. 

Is this a bug in the APP - assuming that the Set Top boxes are on 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150 (rather than starting with the gateway IP address from the router to get the proper subnet)? 

I think you answered your own question. You changed the router's subnet to 192.168.2.1 verus the default 192.168.1.1.  Your app is likely looking for something on the 192.168.1.1 subnet but the STBs are on the 192.168.2.1 subnet.  They need to be on the same subnet to work, and 192.168.1.X is a different subnet than 192.168.2.X.

ddsp
Enthusiast - Level 2

Are you sure?    It would be really DUMB to not use the subnet of the VZ router to determine the subnet of the STBs! 

I can think of lots of reasons to change the internal IP address of the router

1. in my case, leaving the router at 192.168.1.1 would have required reconfiguring a whole slew of devices that are inside my router with its DHCP using static IP addresses from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.99.  The internal and external subnets must be different so I needed to change something.   I therefore changed one unit (the VZ router) rather than reconfiguring my entire network.)

If it "assumes" that the router is at the factory defaults, it is at best sloppy coding but really should be considered a bug.  (We all know the explanation of "ASSUME".)

You changed the router's subnet to 192.168.2.1 verus the default 192.168.1.1.  Your app is likely looking for something on the 192.168.1.1 subnet but the STBs are on the 192.168.2.1 subnet.  They need to be on the same subnet to work, and 192.168.1.X is a different subnet than 192.168.2.X.
PJL
Master - Level 3

@ddsp wrote:

Are you sure?    It would be really DUMB to not use the subnet of the VZ router to determine the subnet of the STBs! 

I can think of lots of reasons to change the internal IP address of the router

1. in my case, leaving the router at 192.168.1.1 would have required reconfiguring a whole slew of devices that are inside my router with its DHCP using static IP addresses from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.99.  The internal and external subnets must be different so I needed to change something.   I therefore changed one unit (the VZ router) rather than reconfiguring my entire network.)

If it "assumes" that the router is at the factory defaults, it is at best sloppy coding but really should be considered a bug.  (We all know the explanation of "ASSUME".)

Just curious, but why you call it "sloppy coding" when the coding works with the default settings (that is, the settings that Verizon configures the router to and the settings they say are the only ones they support) rather than your non-standard setup?  Using the default factory settings is the supported configuration, not yours, so I'm not surprised the app won't work for your network. 

0 Likes
ddsp
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, then its a BUG,

PJL
Master - Level 3

@ddsp wrote:

OK, then its a BUG,

Why is software that works fine within the only Verizon-supported configuration but not in your personal configuration have a "BUG?"   It works the way Verizon designed it (i.e., to work within their supported configuration), which to me means it is not a bug. 

0 Likes
ddsp
Enthusiast - Level 2

I strongly disagree.

A:  The VZ defaults are only that - defaults.  

B:  In practice no one should be running with only default settings. 

1. The access password be changed
  2. The WiFi setup should be customized (meaningful SID broadcast, new seurity settings and passwords or pass phrases) 

C:  VZ also allows customization of other, more advanced, settings

1. port forwarding (needed for games, etc).
  2. DYNDNS settings when needed for external access
  3. and, yes, the internal network subnet that is used.

These and other settings within the VZ routers are all normal options that can be easily customized (and are expected options for modern routers).  

Since all of the above are standard practices and are all supported by VZ, then their programs that are designed to work with the routers should be able to work with any of the above - including changing the subnet. 

PJL
Master - Level 3

@ddsp wrote:

I strongly disagree.

A:  The VZ defaults are only that - defaults.  

B:  In practice no one should be running with only default settings. 

1. The access password be changed
  2. The WiFi setup should be customized (meaningful SID broadcast, new seurity settings and passwords or pass phrases) 

C:  VZ also allows customization of other, more advanced, settings

1. port forwarding (needed for games, etc).
  2. DYNDNS settings when needed for external access
  3. and, yes, the internal network subnet that is used.

These and other settings within the VZ routers are all normal options that can be easily customized (and are expected options for modern routers).  

Since all of the above are standard practices and are all supported by VZ, then their programs that are designed to work with the routers should be able to work with any of the above - including changing the subnet. 

I should not have have used the term "defaults."  I should have used the term standard, supported network topology, and limited my comments to that specific design aspect, which places the local subnet on the 192.168.1.1 network.  I respect your opinion, but will I have no further comments on it, except to suggest that there is a way to fix your problem -- go back to the standard network topology and move your devices to the 192.168.1.1. subnet. 

0 Likes
ddsp
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you MVP:

Anything within a 192.168.x.x is a pseudo-standard for internal networks, but not necessarily 192.169.1.x.    (Also, there is no "standard" for a default router IP.   Some routers, for example, default to 192.168.1.254.) 

Anything connected directly to the  VZ router is exposed externally - e,g, any VZ technician can see all of the static and dynamic devices within the subnet for which the VZ router is the gateway.

Therefore, it is very much wise to use a second router inside the VZ.    If you like 192.68.1.xxx for the internal network, then the second router should have that "standard", and the VZ router will need to have a different subnet.  

My preference will be to wait until the next release and hope that the new sofftware is more robust.  

Nice discussion though - thanks.

prisaz
Legend

@ddsp wrote:

Thank you MVP:

Anything within a 192.168.x.x is a pseudo-standard for internal networks, but not necessarily 192.169.1.x.    (Also, there is no "standard" for a default router IP.   Some routers, for example, default to 192.168.1.254.) 

Anything connected directly to the  VZ router is exposed externally - e,g, any VZ technician can see all of the static and dynamic devices within the subnet for which the VZ router is the gateway.

Therefore, it is very much wise to use a second router inside the VZ.    If you like 192.68.1.xxx for the internal network, then the second router should have that "standard", and the VZ router will need to have a different subnet.  

My preference will be to wait until the next release and hope that the new sofftware is more robust.  

Nice discussion though - thanks.

My second router is a Linux PC. No keyboard or mouse. IPcop 2.x. Updated version. It has a web interface, but does pull a bit more power than a standard router.. Logs every connection, and attempted connection for 30 days. I have a proxy server running on it, with Dan's Guardian K-12 filter. It keeps myself and others out of trouble. Mostly others. All Verizon sees are my STBs and the one Linux IP.

ws11

I'm getting page network timeout error 201 when I try to access dvr through app.  

0 Likes