FiOS Mobile Remote App (Apple and Android) DVR control doesn't work
fgcroswait
Newbie

I noticed that a significant number of people are having problems using DVR remote control. I followed the FAQ instructions by unplugging both the set-top box and the router and still cannot control the DVR with either the Apple or Android App. I do see the set-top box listed and I can view the disk contents. Unfortunately, the information is totally incorrect. I have recorded programs and the Apps show 0 disk space used.

When I tried to record a show from TV Listings, it shows "scheduling program..." and then the error message: Network Connection to FiOS services timed out. View the FAQ for possible solutions or try again later. I have done both with no success. Is this application not ready for prime time and should I wait for future updates. It seems a shame if that is the case, since this is one of the most important and useful features of this App.

0 Likes
Reply
28 Replies
pgc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have called many times.  Always told to reboot set-top box and then run self-diagnostics.  This works for about 1-2 weeks and then stops working until I do the reboot/diagnostics dance again.  This is not an efficient fix for this bad app.

0 Likes
Reply
NancyB3
Newbie
I am having the same problem - can't access dvr from My Fios app. The error message is "enter both of and password" (or something close to that).

I have had this problem for a year or so - ever since an app upgrade. Had given up but just had to factory reset my phone (Samsung Galaxy S 3) (work issues not the D3!) so I thought I would try again.

I know that the logon is correct because I can see billing info AND I signed in to this forum with it.

It was the BEST Verizon app & I wish I could get it to work!

Thanks
0 Likes
Reply
Scallywag1
Newbie
OK. So for the last month plus i haven't been able to connect to the DVR via the FiOS app. I have signed in. It allows me to pay bills, use the remote, and all other functions but when in try and access the manage DVR section it says that my username or password is incorrect. I've tried uninstall/reinstall, clearing cache, clearing data, rebooting DVR, and rebooting router and nothing so far has worked. Any advice would be appreciated. A month ago it worked.
I'm on a galaxy nexus running 4.2.1
0 Likes
Reply
ddsp
Enthusiast - Level 2

I downloaded the new FIOS Mobile Remote to both iphone and ipad but all they do is get caught in a loop showing an error message.

For both I entered my Verizon username and password. 

Both then tried to sign in, put up a white screen "Fetching Data" and then failed with the message "WARNING There are no Set-Top boxes associated with your account.  You need at least 1 Set-Top box to use FIOS DVR Manager".   The error message lasted a few seconds and then went away without my pressing the OK button.

From then on the app gets ccaught in a loop:  it has the white screen sith "Fetching Data" and the spinning circle, then displays the error message for about a second, removes the error message for 2-4 seconds, and then displays it again.

When I close the app and restart it, it gets caught in the same loop.

I have three PDRs and three standard set top boxes.  

  • From the TV controls. I can see the three DVRs and their recorded and scheduled shows
  • When I log into my VZ account,  I can see the three DVRs and their recorded and scheduled shows.  
  • When I access the modem controls, I can see all the IP Address for all of the Set Top units.  

I have deleted and reinstalled tha app.  I have rebooted my VZ router and the DVRs. 

The only non-standard aspect is that we needed to change the router's subnet:  the VZ router is 192.168.2.1 so the Set Top boxes (COAX connections) are all in the range 192.168.2.100 to 192.168.2.150. 

Is this a bug in the APP - assuming that the Set Top boxes are on 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150 (rather than starting with the gateway IP address from the router to get the proper subnet)? 

0 Likes
Reply
EileenN1
Enthusiast - Level 2
You have to go on the Verizon website and accept the terms and conditions there for this app. I went through this same problem and that fixed it ask tech support but you need a high level tech support person who knows what they are doing!
0 Likes
Reply
Bennero
Newbie

Where on the website do you accept the T&C?


@EileenN wrote:
You have to go on the Verizon website and accept the terms and conditions there for this app. I went through this same problem and that fixed it ask tech support but you need a high level tech support person who knows what they are doing!
0 Likes
Reply
PJL
Master - Level 3

@ddsp wrote:

I downloaded the new FIOS Mobile Remote to both iphone and ipad but all they do is get caught in a loop showing an error message.

For both I entered my Verizon username and password. 

Both then tried to sign in, put up a white screen "Fetching Data" and then failed with the message "WARNING There are no Set-Top boxes associated with your account.  You need at least 1 Set-Top box to use FIOS DVR Manager".   The error message lasted a few seconds and then went away without my pressing the OK button.

From then on the app gets ccaught in a loop:  it has the white screen sith "Fetching Data" and the spinning circle, then displays the error message for about a second, removes the error message for 2-4 seconds, and then displays it again.

When I close the app and restart it, it gets caught in the same loop.

I have three PDRs and three standard set top boxes.  

  • From the TV controls. I can see the three DVRs and their recorded and scheduled shows
  • When I log into my VZ account,  I can see the three DVRs and their recorded and scheduled shows.  
  • When I access the modem controls, I can see all the IP Address for all of the Set Top units.  

I have deleted and reinstalled tha app.  I have rebooted my VZ router and the DVRs. 

The only non-standard aspect is that we needed to change the router's subnet:  the VZ router is 192.168.2.1 so the Set Top boxes (COAX connections) are all in the range 192.168.2.100 to 192.168.2.150. 

Is this a bug in the APP - assuming that the Set Top boxes are on 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150 (rather than starting with the gateway IP address from the router to get the proper subnet)? 


I think you answered your own question. You changed the router's subnet to 192.168.2.1 verus the default 192.168.1.1.  Your app is likely looking for something on the 192.168.1.1 subnet but the STBs are on the 192.168.2.1 subnet.  They need to be on the same subnet to work, and 192.168.1.X is a different subnet than 192.168.2.X.

ddsp
Enthusiast - Level 2

Are you sure?    It would be really DUMB to not use the subnet of the VZ router to determine the subnet of the STBs! 

I can think of lots of reasons to change the internal IP address of the router

  1. in my case, leaving the router at 192.168.1.1 would have required reconfiguring a whole slew of devices that are inside my router with its DHCP using static IP addresses from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.99.  The internal and external subnets must be different so I needed to change something.   I therefore changed one unit (the VZ router) rather than reconfiguring my entire network.)

If it "assumes" that the router is at the factory defaults, it is at best sloppy coding but really should be considered a bug.  (We all know the explanation of "ASSUME".)

You changed the router's subnet to 192.168.2.1 verus the default 192.168.1.1.  Your app is likely looking for something on the 192.168.1.1 subnet but the STBs are on the 192.168.2.1 subnet.  They need to be on the same subnet to work, and 192.168.1.X is a different subnet than 192.168.2.X.
PJL
Master - Level 3

@ddsp wrote:

Are you sure?    It would be really DUMB to not use the subnet of the VZ router to determine the subnet of the STBs! 

I can think of lots of reasons to change the internal IP address of the router

  1. in my case, leaving the router at 192.168.1.1 would have required reconfiguring a whole slew of devices that are inside my router with its DHCP using static IP addresses from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.99.  The internal and external subnets must be different so I needed to change something.   I therefore changed one unit (the VZ router) rather than reconfiguring my entire network.)

If it "assumes" that the router is at the factory defaults, it is at best sloppy coding but really should be considered a bug.  (We all know the explanation of "ASSUME".)


Just curious, but why you call it "sloppy coding" when the coding works with the default settings (that is, the settings that Verizon configures the router to and the settings they say are the only ones they support) rather than your non-standard setup?  Using the default factory settings is the supported configuration, not yours, so I'm not surprised the app won't work for your network. 

0 Likes
Reply
ddsp
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, then its a BUG,

PJL
Master - Level 3

@ddsp wrote:

OK, then its a BUG,


Why is software that works fine within the only Verizon-supported configuration but not in your personal configuration have a "BUG?"   It works the way Verizon designed it (i.e., to work within their supported configuration), which to me means it is not a bug. 

0 Likes
Reply
ddsp
Enthusiast - Level 2

I strongly disagree.

A:  The VZ defaults are only that - defaults.  

B:  In practice no one should be running with only default settings. 

  1. The access password be changed
  2. The WiFi setup should be customized (meaningful SID broadcast, new seurity settings and passwords or pass phrases) 

C:  VZ also allows customization of other, more advanced, settings

  1. port forwarding (needed for games, etc).
  2. DYNDNS settings when needed for external access
  3. and, yes, the internal network subnet that is used.

These and other settings within the VZ routers are all normal options that can be easily customized (and are expected options for modern routers).  

Since all of the above are standard practices and are all supported by VZ, then their programs that are designed to work with the routers should be able to work with any of the above - including changing the subnet. 

PJL
Master - Level 3

@ddsp wrote:

I strongly disagree.

A:  The VZ defaults are only that - defaults.  

B:  In practice no one should be running with only default settings. 

  1. The access password be changed
  2. The WiFi setup should be customized (meaningful SID broadcast, new seurity settings and passwords or pass phrases) 

C:  VZ also allows customization of other, more advanced, settings

  1. port forwarding (needed for games, etc).
  2. DYNDNS settings when needed for external access
  3. and, yes, the internal network subnet that is used.

These and other settings within the VZ routers are all normal options that can be easily customized (and are expected options for modern routers).  

Since all of the above are standard practices and are all supported by VZ, then their programs that are designed to work with the routers should be able to work with any of the above - including changing the subnet. 


I should not have have used the term "defaults."  I should have used the term standard, supported network topology, and limited my comments to that specific design aspect, which places the local subnet on the 192.168.1.1 network.  I respect your opinion, but will I have no further comments on it, except to suggest that there is a way to fix your problem -- go back to the standard network topology and move your devices to the 192.168.1.1. subnet. 

0 Likes
Reply
ddsp
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you MVP:

Anything within a 192.168.x.x is a pseudo-standard for internal networks, but not necessarily 192.169.1.x.    (Also, there is no "standard" for a default router IP.   Some routers, for example, default to 192.168.1.254.) 

Anything connected directly to the  VZ router is exposed externally - e,g, any VZ technician can see all of the static and dynamic devices within the subnet for which the VZ router is the gateway.

Therefore, it is very much wise to use a second router inside the VZ.    If you like 192.68.1.xxx for the internal network, then the second router should have that "standard", and the VZ router will need to have a different subnet.  

My preference will be to wait until the next release and hope that the new sofftware is more robust.  

Nice discussion though - thanks.

prisaz
Legend

@ddsp wrote:

Thank you MVP:

Anything within a 192.168.x.x is a pseudo-standard for internal networks, but not necessarily 192.169.1.x.    (Also, there is no "standard" for a default router IP.   Some routers, for example, default to 192.168.1.254.) 

Anything connected directly to the  VZ router is exposed externally - e,g, any VZ technician can see all of the static and dynamic devices within the subnet for which the VZ router is the gateway.

Therefore, it is very much wise to use a second router inside the VZ.    If you like 192.68.1.xxx for the internal network, then the second router should have that "standard", and the VZ router will need to have a different subnet.  

My preference will be to wait until the next release and hope that the new sofftware is more robust.  

Nice discussion though - thanks.



My second router is a Linux PC. No keyboard or mouse. IPcop 2.x. Updated version. It has a web interface, but does pull a bit more power than a standard router.. Logs every connection, and attempted connection for 30 days. I have a proxy server running on it, with Dan's Guardian K-12 filter. It keeps myself and others out of trouble. Mostly others. All Verizon sees are my STBs and the one Linux IP.

prisaz
Legend

I have my phone registered under Menus\Settings\Remote DVR\Mobile Phone Settings. This is where I registered my phone nunber and it provided a confirmation code. My iPhone works great. Note there is an older App that was replace by a newer app. Make sure you have the latest application for your device.

I am not sure if a plain iPAD or other non phone devices work. I know there had been some complaints, and some requests for applications for non phone devices. Not sure on the status.

I requested one that did not require to go to the Verizon site and back. Why not a local App on the local Wifi? And Also a remote control application developed for your PC? All can be found on The ideas boards, along with many other ideas.

ddsp
Enthusiast - Level 2

According to the APP description, I have everything I need to connect with my iPhone:

  • A verizon FIOS-provided router
  • A My Verizon User ID and Password
  • At leasr one Set Top box or guide data...
  • A DVR for Remote DVR functionality ...
  • An HD set-top box for Remote Control functionality

But...   I can not set my iPhone int he settings/Raemote because it is not Verizon!

Does this APP really require a Verizon iPhone?   

0 Likes
Reply
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

This app is fully functioning. The bad gateway message which is the most common error that may come up is fixed by us reconnecting our servers with the router. Your predicament is very different. The app says it connects but 0% is shown. I believe it may be connecting to a wrong account or had an issue during setup. Please uninstall the app then reinstall it. Also check the login information you are using by logging into the Verizon.com website using the same credential you are putting into the app. Make sure you see your current account information. If you continue to have problems please send me a private message so we can look at the account on the back end.

0 Likes
Reply
BelmontFioSucks

I have tried many things like reinstalling app on my iphone 4s or disconnecting power to box but i cant get pass the "error "network connection to fios services timed out" everytime i would like to schedule recording on my dvr using iphone.  Yet I can use the app to change the channels and browse the guide using the iphone.  it has been like 4-5 months and i cant get that to work and verizon customer support wont help.  I have called like 8-9 times just to have one issue solved with autopay.   Please help anyone.  

0 Likes
Reply
ws11
Newbie

I'm getting page network timeout error 201 when I try to access dvr through app.  

0 Likes
Reply