Fios TV Install
chiro80
Enthusiast - Level 3
I have Fios internet and phone. The router is on the 2nd floor and the phone box is in the basement. I presently have rirect tv. How do I connect my TV's? I assume There is something on the floor behind the router that looks like a coax connection. Is there a fios connection (coax) in my basement for me to look for? Lastly if I have video on demand do I need a DVR? John
0 Likes
15 Replies
mfizzy
Specialist - Level 1

Direct tv isolated the coax line from the dish to the tv's from the coax to the router. You just need to use a splitter to reconnect the coax line from the verizon service box. 

mfizzy
Specialist - Level 1

You do not need a dvr for video on demand. I would recommend you get one. I can't live without mine.

walt178
Specialist - Level 3

@chiro80 wrote:
 Lastly if I have video on demand do I need a DVR? John

The DVR will allow you to:

  1. Watch a show and record a show at the same time.
  2. Record 2 shows at the same time.
  3. Watch a recorded show while recording 2 other shows.

If none of those capabilities appeal to you, you do not need a DVR.  The DVR will not improve your video on demand experience.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's not clear from your post if you are using DirectTV or FiOS for TV service.

If you are still using DirectTV, do NOT connect the FiOS coax from the ONT to the coax from the antenna.  The FiOS coax should go only to the FiOS router while the DirectTV antenna coax goes to your DirectTV STB.

If you are using FiOS for TV, then completely disconnect all the Direct TV equipment.  The coax from the antenna should not be connected to any FiOS equipment and should be neatly labeled and left unconnected.

Note that you do not get access to FiOS on-demand programs unless you have FiOS TV service.

Good Luck.

chiro80
Enthusiast - Level 3

To clear up matters, I presently have Direct TV for TV service and Fios for internet and phone.

If VOD gives me access to a few weeks of programs, why do I need a DVR?

The cabling still has me confused. My FIOS router is in my second floor BR. Do I go down to my basement and disconnect the Direct TV Coax connection? I have wall plates behind all my TV's to attach the STB's. But how do I attach FIOS TV cable to the wall plates, where does it run from and to? 

0 Likes
walt178
Specialist - Level 3

@chiro80 wrote:

To clear up matters, I presently have Direct TV for TV service and Fios for internet and phone.

If VOD gives me access to a few weeks of programs, why do I need a DVR?


From the Direct TV site:      "To start enjoying DIRECTV on DEMAND, all you need is an HD DVR connected to your home broadband Internet service with the DIRECTV CINEMA Connection Kit."

For information on Direct TV services, your best source of information would be their website and forum.

0 Likes
sangs1
Specialist - Level 2

@walt178 wrote:

@chiro80 wrote:

To clear up matters, I presently have Direct TV for TV service and Fios for internet and phone.

If VOD gives me access to a few weeks of programs, why do I need a DVR?


From the Direct TV site:      "To start enjoying DIRECTV on DEMAND, all you need is an HD DVR connected to your home broadband Internet service with the DIRECTV CINEMA Connection Kit."

For information on Direct TV services, your best source of information would be their website and forum.


^

This. You get no On Demand programming available from Directv without an HD DVR, that's why you need it. Directv downloads On Demand programming to the hard drive of a DVR. It's not available from a server like it is from FiOS.

0 Likes
chiro80
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wait,

I have Direct TV service presently as well as a Direct TV HD DVR. I do not need to contact Direct TV about its use. As I previously stated, my Direct TV plan does not have an equivalent feature to FIOS Video on demand. The only way I can save a program I want to see at a later time is to record it on my DVR. And I can only record 2 programs at one time or watch one program and record another.

A recent excursion to a friend's house who has FIOS and while watching some favorite programs, my friend showed me his Video on Demand feature, which automatically saved programs like The Blacklist or Elementary for the previous 4 weeks. 

0 Likes
sangs1
Specialist - Level 2

So then what exactly are you trying to figure out here?

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@sangs wrote:
So then what exactly are you trying to figure out here?

Perhaps this is an ESL issue.

0 Likes
lemieuxfan67
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you would like FIOS Video OnDemand service then you would need to suscribe to FIOS TV service.  Presently, you would not have access to FIOS Video OnDemand becuase you only have DirecTV as your TV provider.

0 Likes
chiro80
Enthusiast - Level 3

I will try one more time.

I would like to switch to FIOS for the Triple bundle discount.

If I switch to FIOS, is VOD Free? I understand it is separate from PPV, that I do have to pay for from any service I choose.

If VOD is not free, then I have to compare the Direct TV HD DVR monthly fee to the cost of FIOS VOD.

If VOD is free, then I can save considerable bucks, by not having a monthly DVR fee.

0 Likes
walt178
Specialist - Level 3

@chiro80 wrote:

I will try one more time.

I would like to switch to FIOS for the Triple bundle discount.

If I switch to FIOS, is VOD Free? I understand it is separate from PPV, that I do have to pay for from any service I choose.

If VOD is not free, then I have to compare the Direct TV HD DVR monthly fee to the cost of FIOS VOD.

If VOD is free, then I can save considerable bucks, by not having a monthly DVR fee.


Clarity at last!  Prior to your last post it was not evident that you were interested in switching your TV service.

VOD for a channel you subscribe to is free.

The drawback to relying on VOD over a DVR is that it doesn't seem to be as reliable.  Depending on the channel:  the time gap before an episode is available on VOD varies; how many episodes are available varies; and how long they stay varies.  So if you have favorite shows that you would watch on VOD rather than recording you may encounter undesired availability issues.

chiro80
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you Walt. At last an answer without any criticism.

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is my present set up.

image