Fios TV One mini box connection to non-Verizon router
mwsulliv

I have my Fios STB corrected to my NON-Verizon router directly using an ethernet cable. In this scenario, would the Moca adapter be unnecessary? Since I'm able to hard-wire the internet to the box?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I used to have my VMS1100 server connected the exact same way as you have your 4100 server. I did read somewhere that the ethernet ports were being disabled in an update. I do have a MoCA adapter now since my ethernet port doesn't work anymore. Not sure if that is from the update or the ethernet port is just bad. The 1100 is about 8 years old now. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mwsulliv wrote:

I have my Fios STB corrected to my NON-Verizon router directly using an ethernet cable. In this scenario, would the Moca adapter be unnecessary? Since I'm able to hard-wire the internet to the box?

You need the Fios router for updates and Authorization of the boxes.. Also you need the MOCA network for guide data. If that doesn't bother you, then everything is OK.

mwsulliv

My guide data seems to be coming in from the Ethernet connection (once I got the port forwarding settings in my router)

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mwsulliv wrote:

My guide data seems to be coming in from the Ethernet connection (once I got the port forwarding settings in my router)

Good point, didn't think many people were that advanced!

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@clem53 wrote:

@mwsulliv wrote:

Good point, didn't think many people were that advanced!

Also I overlooked the box was a mini. You only need MOCA to the VMS box, not the mini.

mwsulliv

Actually you were correct the first time!  It's not a mini (subject line was inherited from another thread).  It's the main VMS box.  Basically I have the VMS box w/ HDMI to my TV, and then it's also connected to my personal router using ethernet (which is then connected to the Fios ONT using ethernet).  And the VMS box is also connected via coax directly  to the ONT.  So hopefully by hard-wiring directly (or almost directly) to the ONT both the coax and the ethernet, I can avoid the need for a Verizon router.  

ALMOST everything is working just fine - with the exception of my ability to stream content from my iOS device using the "Fios TV Mobile" app.  I believe the VMS "sees" this app similarly to another Fios TV One Mini on the network (which I don't have).  My iOS device is able to detect the VMS, display a list of recorded content, but not actually stream anything.  

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I used to have my VMS1100 server connected the exact same way as you have your 4100 server. I did read somewhere that the ethernet ports were being disabled in an update. I do have a MoCA adapter now since my ethernet port doesn't work anymore. Not sure if that is from the update or the ethernet port is just bad. The 1100 is about 8 years old now.