Fios one remote; exit after selecting input
rbpeirce
Enthusiast - Level 3

My Fios One remote has an input button on the upper left that actually works as it should with my LG TV.  However, once the input is selected I can't exit input mode.  I have to turn the TV off and back on.  I've tried pressing every button.  None of them work.

RBP
Labels (1)
0 Likes
Reply
1 Solution
rbpeirce
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've found a workaround for those with voice activated firesticks.  You can say "switch to HDMI one",  point the remote at the TV and it will switch.  You can switch back the same way and it turns out you don't have to be on the firestick input.  You can switch from Fios to Firestick and back.

RBP

View solution in original post

12 Replies
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@rbpeirce wrote:

My Fios One remote has an input button on the upper left that actually works as it should with my LG TV.  However, once the input is selected I can't exit input mode.  I have to turn the TV off and back on.  I've tried pressing every button.  None of them work.


I'd start by un-programming the remote and re-programming it manually for your TV.

Main Menu > Settings > Voice Control > Fios TV Voice Remote > Program Fios TV Voice Remote>Reset Remote Setup.

Main Menu > Settings > Voice Control > Fios TV Voice Remote > Program Fios TV Voice Remote>Manual Setup.

rbpeirce
Enthusiast - Level 3

Didn't help.  Manual setup does not provide an option to exit the input button.

RBP
0 Likes
Reply
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@rbpeirce wrote:

Didn't help.  Manual setup does not provide an option to exit the input button.


How do you exit it when you use the remote that came with the TV?

rbpeirce
Enthusiast - Level 3

The remote that came with the TV is a 'Magic" remote that only has a raised ball.  The standard remote has OK and under that is a circle with a dot in it.  The fios remote just has OK.  All are surrounded by a four position bezel, up, right, down and left.

If I change inputs with the standard or "Magic" remote I just need to press the button to exit.  That doesn't work with the fios remote. 

RBP
0 Likes
Reply
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@rbpeirce wrote:

The remote that came with the TV is a 'Magic" remote that only has a raised ball.  The standard remote has OK and under that is a circle with a dot in it.  The fios remote just has OK.  All are surrounded by a four position bezel, up, right, down and left.

If I change inputs with the standard or "Magic" remote I just need to press the button to exit.  That doesn't work with the fios remote. 


So on the magic remote you simply hit the same button to call up the inputs as you do to exit the input menu or are they two different buttons?

rbpeirce
Enthusiast - Level 3

You got me there.  I never use that remote.  I don't like it.  However, I checked and this is what happens.

If I click the center button a visual menu pops up.  Inputs is to the lower left.  If I point the remote on-screen arrow at that and click I  get a list of channels.  I point and click the one I want and it is selected.

The TV remote I actually use has an input button.  I use the scroll buttons to select the input I want and then click OK.  

The fios remote also has an input button.  I click it to open the visual  input list.  Then each click moves across the list until I reach the one I want.  At that point my only option is to turn the TV off and back on to get the new channel.  Pressing OK should do that but it doesn't.

RBP
0 Likes
Reply
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@rbpeirce wrote:

You got me there.  I never use that remote.  I don't like it.  However, I checked and this is what happens.

If I click the center button a visual menu pops up.  Inputs is to the lower left.  If I point the remote on-screen arrow at that and click I  get a list of channels.  I point and click the one I want and it is selected.

The TV remote I actually use has an input button.  I use the scroll buttons to select the input I want and then click OK.  

The fios remote also has an input button.  I click it to open the visual  input list.  Then each click moves across the list until I reach the one I want.  At that point my only option is to turn the TV off and back on to get the new channel.  Pressing OK should do that but it doesn't.


Just to narrow it down, if you use the Fios remote to open the input menu, will the TV remote close it if you press OK?

rbpeirce
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, but that defeats the purpose of using the fios remote.  I may as well just use the LG remote.

RBP
0 Likes
Reply
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@rbpeirce wrote:

Yes, but that defeats the purpose of using the fios remote.  I may as well just use the LG remote.


Did you try re-programming the Fios remote for a different LG TV model using the manual setup method?

 

rbpeirce
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes.  Didn't help.

I also talked to Verizon and they had no idea how to do it either.   Maybe it can't be done.

RBP
0 Likes
Reply
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@rbpeirce wrote:

Yes.  Didn't help.

I also talked to Verizon and they had no idea how to do it either.   Maybe it can't be done.


Somehow the programming has to change the OK button on the Verizon remote to emulate the OK on your LG remote. It can't do that and still control the Fios box, so I think you are right, this may not be possible with the Fios remote. It would only work if the input button cycled through the options on the TV then went to a close option.

rbpeirce
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've found a workaround for those with voice activated firesticks.  You can say "switch to HDMI one",  point the remote at the TV and it will switch.  You can switch back the same way and it turns out you don't have to be on the firestick input.  You can switch from Fios to Firestick and back.

RBP