Help Please: Guide and Info Bar Stretched Too Far Across The Screen
jaytee1019
Enthusiast - Level 2

Under the old version, the Guide and Info Bar filled across my screen perfectly so that I could see and read everything. Now with this new update, the Guide is stretched too much across the screen. I can barely see the picture in the top left corner of the guide (I can only see the right half of it; the left half of it is off the screen). And I can't read the channel and channel number on the left side of the screen for the channel that is scrolled over (for which a description is showing). On the Info bar, I can't see the channel icon on the left or the full time on the right. For example, where the info bar should say 8:00 PM-10:00 PM, I can only see 8:00 PM-. Also, the closed captioning is too far left on the screen so that I can't see the start of each sentence.

How can I fix this? My TV specs are 1080i, 16:9. I didn't change any of my TV settings, so I don't understand why the Guide isn't perfectly fitted to my screen as it was before the update.

0 Likes
Re: Help Please: Guide and Info Bar Stretched Too Far Across The Screen
prisaz
Legend

Check your TV settings and make sure it is not set for stretch, pan and scan or zoom. Make sure it is set to normal picture. This will cause the quide to fit perfectly on your screen, but your SD channels will have side bars because they are not HD. The only way to correct this is to have the box do SD overide to remove the side bars. This is under menu/settings/video/sd overide. I had to do the same on my TV upstairs when the new HD guide loaded. My wife hates to see the side bars and it worked before because the guide was SD and not HD.

jaytee1019
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. I changed my TV setting to Normal. Now the Guide and Info Bar aren't stretched enough. They don't fill the screen. In the Guide, there are blue bars of empty space on the left, top, and right of the screen. How do I fix that? My DVR model is in the 7XXX series, so shouldn't the Guide be full screen?

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@jaytee1019 wrote:

Thanks. I changed my TV setting to Normal. Now the Guide and Info Bar aren't stretched enough. They don't fill the screen. In the Guide, there are blue bars of empty space on the left, top, and right of the screen. How do I fix that? My DVR model is in the 7XXX series, so shouldn't the Guide be full screen?

Now that the TV is set properly, ensure that you STB is set to HD for the program guide.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Main Menu/Settings/Video Settings/Graphic Setting

Many items can be changed under the Video Settings Menu.

Good point PJL

Regards

Mark

0 Likes
jaytee1019
Enthusiast - Level 2

@PJL wrote:

@jaytee1019 wrote:

Now that the TV is set properly, ensure that you STB is set to HD for the program guide.

Now the Guide and Info Bar are fine, but the SD Override isn't taking. It's like it'll work when I first set the SD Override to Strech (the black bars will disappear on the SD channel I'm watching). But after a few minutes when I change the channel, the black bars are back for the SD channels. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have my TV set to Normal (the options were Normal, Wide, Zoom, or Stretch). And for the DVR Settings, I have Video Format set to 1080i 16:9, SD Override set to Stretch, TV Type set to 16:9, Graphic Settings set to HD, and Video Sharpness set to Default. I feel like I've tried every combination of settings yet nothing is working. What I want is for the Guide and Info bar to fill most if not all of the screen and for the SD channels to not have black bars.

Could you guys take a look at my settings and tell me where I'm messing up?

0 Likes
jaytee1019
Enthusiast - Level 2

If I called Verizon Support/Technical Assistance, would they be able to walk me through it? I'm just really frustrated. My picture was perfect for all channels before this upgrade (which my DVR received 2 days ago). And for the past 2 days, the picture has been off - whether it's the black bars on SD channels or the Guide not fitting the screen.

0 Likes
jonrubin23

Hi there -- I read your issues with the Guide & Info Bar stretched too far across the screen (from October) and I'm having the same exact problems.  It's fine on my HD Channels, but not on the SD channels.  And the Override setting in the Video Settings doesn't help.  Do you mind if I ask if/how you were able to resolve this issue you had?   I was on the phone with Verizon Fios support for an hour just now and they can't seem to solve it for me.  My email is {edited for privacy} and I'd be thrilled with any info you could provide!

Thanks,

Jon

0 Likes