Re: Loss of channels amounts to a price increase
prisaz
Legend

@Caps09 wrote:

As was mentioned above, no one ever complains when new channels are added, but any channel removed equals fraud and breach of contract. Let's face it- adjustments will be made based on wholesale costs of channels and individual carriage agreements. Bundles will also come and go. New bundles are made to outdate the old ones so people sign up for them. I had the same experience with Comcast, and I always ended up getting a new agreement about once a year. Verizon is no different from any other provider with their packages, and I'm not sure why they seem to be held to a higher standard here.

I think many people believe it is like phone service that stayed with the same pricing structure for years. But people this isn't your grandad's phone company. I like many do not like changes and increases in price, but everything changes at some point.

Greg26001
Contributor - Level 2

I think when you sign a contract, Verizon shouldn't go the CC or CV or TW route and modify that in the middle of things.  Where's their ETF????

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Greg2600 wrote:

I think when you sign a contract, Verizon shouldn't go the CC or CV or TW route and modify that in the middle of things.  Where's their ETF????

You agree to their terms of service when you agree to have their service. It says that the channel line up may be subject to change at any time without notice. They have always provided notice. I know we don't like it but that is the way it is. It would be interesting to know at exactly what point a reduction in service would constitute a breach of contract on their part. Probably no service at all. Hey we all agreed to the terms. Every provider has their pros and cons. For over 5 years of FiOS the pros have out weighed the cons for me.

Adamhenderja

We have Extreme HD in 90278, and we just lost the Hallmark regular and HD movie channels (and MGM HD).  What is curious is that the Hallmark movie channels are available in the Prime and Ultimate tiers.  So you can get them if you pay less or pay more, but you can’t get them in the Extreme HD tier.  The only other channels like this are the Gospel Music Channel, Retirement Living and RFD TV.  Hallmark HD is an excellent value since it shows many good movies without commercials.  I’ve never watched the other three, and I doubt that anyone reading this views these channels either.  You can check this at http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/FiOSTV/Channels/Channels.htm.

The basic idea of the tiers is that you get more channels if you pay more.  So taking away the Hallmark Movie Channel HD in this manner represents a kind of punishment that is designed to force Verizon customers into buying the next level.

It’s all very well to say that we signed an agreement to let Verizon do whatever they want to do to us.  But this is using the stick to beat up Extreme HD customers to get them to kick in $120 a year more to get what we already had instead of using the carrot to reward us for paying more and getting more.

We’re the customers paying for a sevice, not enemies to be manhandled in this way.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@Adamhenderja wrote:

We have Extreme HD in 90278, and we just lost the Hallmark regular and HD movie channels (and MGM HD).  What is curious is that the Hallmark movie channels are available in the Prime and Ultimate tiers.  So you can get them if you pay less or pay more, but you can’t get them in the Extreme HD tier.  The only other channels like this are the Gospel Music Channel, Retirement Living and RFD TV.  Hallmark HD is an excellent value since it shows many good movies without commercials.  I’ve never watched the other three, and I doubt that anyone reading this views these channels either.  You can check this at http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/FiOSTV/Channels/Channels.htm.

The basic idea of the tiers is that you get more channels if you pay more.  So taking away the Hallmark Movie Channel HD in this manner represents a kind of punishment that is designed to force Verizon customers into buying the next level.

It’s all very well to say that we signed an agreement to let Verizon do whatever they want to do to us.  But this is using the stick to beat up Extreme HD customers to get them to kick in $120 a year more to get what we already had instead of using the carrot to reward us for paying more and getting more.

We’re the customers paying for a sevice, not enemies to be manhandled in this way.

In all the areas I have seen the CURRENT packages are definitely tiers, with extreme having all the programs in prime and, ultimate having all those in extreme and prime.  I am surprised to see the odd tiers in your zipcode and presumably others.  Perhaps they intend to drop them from Prime in your area in the near future.  They do change over the years, ie. 2009 extreme might have programs that are not in 2010 exteme.  The have announced in several cases the date when some programs will be removed from a lower tier and be only be availabe in higher tiers.

0 Likes
MiMeQu21
Contributor - Level 3

Nope, the above poster is right.  Hallmark Movie Channel in my area is only offered in Prime or Ultimate, not Extreme.  It makes no sense that you could pay more for a tier (Extreme) and not get all the channels in the lower tier (Prime).

0 Likes