Low audio for one channel
Scott_r1
Enthusiast - Level 3

For most channels, I have the audio set in the upper 30s to mid-40s. But for the CW, I have to crank it up to 60 or so or dialog is inaudible. I can't say for certain that this is the only channel so effected since I don't watch all that many, but it's consistently so here. Is this simply a matter of "that's how that channel is" or is there a way to fix the audio of individual channels?

This happens with the STB connected via HDMI or component, and with and without a sound bar.

0 Likes
34 Replies
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@dexman wrote:

Hi Clem,

I think this is a content-provider issue as I can duplicate what the OP is experiencing. The audio level on Disney Channel is lower than what is found on other channels.

I'm curious to see if other carriers are experiencing the same situation.

True, but he could get far better quality audio switching to surround from mono.

King1996

Yes I switched to surround and changed audio pass through to enable and the audio is still low. It’s actually 4 channels now that’s having this problem. Disney Channel, FX, FXX, and Freeform. Aren’t they part of the same company 

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

True. They are all affiliated with Disney.

King1996

Yea then it’s definitely a content provider issue 

0 Likes
King1996

I just got a replacement Fios tv one box from Verizon and it’s still the same issue. Those 4 channels are still low audio 

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon would need to check the feed from the Disney and compare it to what it is receiving from other content providers to determine if the cause is within the network or outside of it.

King1996

Yea I’m still having this low audio problem with those 4 channels. FX, FXX, Disney Channel, and Freeform 

0 Likes
King1996

Anybody else having this problem ?

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@King1996 wrote:

Anybody else having this problem ?

I have the problem on AT&T U-Verse too. It is worse if I enable any compression on my AV receiver. It comes from the program provider, and in my case the channels that are low also are only being sent in STEREO, not surround.

King1996

Yea I don’t know what to do anymore. This has been going on for me since March 27th. I haven’t been seeing any other complaints from Fios customers am I the only one experiencing this for Fios 

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@King1996 wrote:

Yea I don’t know what to do anymore. This has been going on for me since March 27th. I haven’t been seeing any other complaints from Fios customers am I the only one experiencing this for Fios 

Actually there are a couple of threads with people complaining of the same issue, and again it comes down to the signal the content providers send down and how your equipment handles it. If I enable mid compression on my AV receiver, all but 1 or 2 channels sound the same. If I disable compression completely, they ALL sound different, but without quite as wide a change from the majority to the 1 or 2 that are lower.. Seems to be a 'lesser of two evils" issue.

King1996

So contacting Fios about the issue again will be no use I guess 

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@King1996 wrote:

So contacting Fios about the issue again will be no use I guess 

I doubt there is anything they can do about it, so I'd say no, Fios can't help.

Scott_r1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Changing the compression didn't help me at all. After a several years of a low volume issue with a particular channel (I watched only a small number of channels so that's all I verified) the STB started getting really glitchy, frequently spontaneously rebooting, or freezing up and requiring a manual restart. I traded it in, and the new STB did not have the low volume issue.

0 Likes