Mysterious freezing issue - can you solve it?
ode1085

Hello! I'm trying to diagnose an issue with my parents' Fios service. It is a pretty unusual problem that I have not seen before.

The setup is as follows - they have a Motorola STB (not Fios ONE) on the main TV in the living room. Works great.

They have another Motorola STB for the old TV in their bedroom. Works great, with one exception: it will freeze up UNLESS the downstairs box is turned on.

In other words, people watching both televisions = fine. Downstairs TV  = always fine. Upstairs TV = only works when the downstairs is on. Otherwise it freezes and skips.

This is weird to me, because I would assume if the upstairs box was using something from the downstairs box, the downstairs box would be in a low-power mode that would not compromise functionality in this way. What in the world is going on?

Thank you 🙂

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@ode1085 wrote:

Hello! I'm trying to diagnose an issue with my parents' Fios service. It is a pretty unusual problem that I have not seen before.

The setup is as follows - they have a Motorola STB (not Fios ONE) on the main TV in the living room. Works great.

They have another Motorola STB for the old TV in their bedroom. Works great, with one exception: it will freeze up UNLESS the downstairs box is turned on.

In other words, people watching both televisions = fine. Downstairs TV  = always fine. Upstairs TV = only works when the downstairs is on. Otherwise it freezes and skips.

This is weird to me, because I would assume if the upstairs box was using something from the downstairs box, the downstairs box would be in a low-power mode that would not compromise functionality in this way. What in the world is going on?

Thank you 🙂

Look for a bad coax connection to the boxes and the splitter. Could be a bad cable, or a bad splitter too. If the boxes are the old Motorolla boxes, chances are the splitter and all the outdoor coax is just as old and may be defective by now.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@ode1085 wrote:

Thank you 🙂

Look for a bad coax connection to the boxes and the splitter. Could be a bad cable, or a bad splitter too. If the boxes are the old Motorolla boxes, chances are the splitter and all the outdoor coax is just as old and may be defective by now.

psuball13
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same issue any been able to fix this?  It is really annoying I have restarted all my boxes and internet, nothing seems to work.  Seems like I might not be the only one.

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@psuball13 wrote:

I am having the same issue any been able to fix this?  It is really annoying I have restarted all my boxes and internet, nothing seems to work.  Seems like I might not be the only one.

Did you check all the coax connections and replace  the splitter with a MoCa 2.0 certified splitter?