New Program Guide still takes too many button pushes (constructive Suggestions)
Hawkflyer1

While I applaud Verizon's effort in attempting to bring a better experiance to their customer base, it is fairly clear that some of the issues that SHOULD have been addressed were overlooked.

One of the most annoying examples is the requirement to press the INFO button, followed by two or three down arrow presses, followed by yet another press of the INFO button, to find out who is in the program you want INFO about and to obtain the full text description. 

There is no rational reason why the full info display should not be presented on the first press of the INFO button!!

As a programmer and layout designer, I find many poor uses of available screen real estate.  Many of the boxes displayed on the screen take far too much room, and this prevents better utilization of the space for actual information to be provided to the user.  The shrinking of the live display area to make room for a large box with the channel logo is a prime example.  The lower area of the screen is wasted on a display of help information that people already know or they would not be able to view it.

Finally, for those of us who are a little older, the fonts are both too small and are made up of lines that are too small to be clearly seen by older users.

In short, while the new design may be generally aesthetically pleasing to some, from a usefulness point of view Verizon has a long way to go to beat Direct TV and other competitors in practical design of the element of the user experience.

0 Likes
Re: New Program Guide still takes too many button pushes (constructive Suggestions)
Justin46
Legend

@Hawkflyer wrote:

While I applaud Verizon's effort in attempting to bring a better experiance to their customer base, it is fairly clear that some of the issues that SHOULD have been addressed were overlooked.

One of the most annoying examples is the requirement to press the INFO button, followed by two or three down arrow presses, followed by yet another press of the INFO button, to find out who is in the program you want INFO about and to obtain the full text description. 

There is no rational reason why the full info display should not be presented on the first press of the INFO button!!

As a programmer and layout designer, I find many poor uses of available screen real estate.  Many of the boxes displayed on the screen take far too much room, and this prevents better utilization of the space for actual information to be provided to the user.  The shrinking of the live display area to make room for a large box with the channel logo is a prime example.  The lower area of the screen is wasted on a display of help information that people already know or they would not be able to view it.

Finally, for those of us who are a little older, the fonts are both too small and are made up of lines that are too small to be clearly seen by older users.

In short, while the new design may be generally aesthetically pleasing to some, from a usefulness point of view Verizon has a long way to go to beat Direct TV and other competitors in practical design of the element of the user experience.

1) I'm sorry, I have no idea why you have to make so many button presses, because you don't.

Press the Info button, get a summary, Press the Info button again (your finger is already on it, right?) and you get the full info, including the cast and full description. Easy as pie..... (and I suspect the reason the developers did not include all of the info when you press the Info button the first time is that there are occasions when all won't fit, probably they felt it might be confusing to the viewer. I don't agree, but that is beside the point.....)

2) I am (or at least was before I retired) a programmer and designer, and I think for the most part that the screen design is just fine. The only screen I take issue with is the one displayed when I change channels or press the OK or FiOS TV buttons, it does take up too much of the screen and is displayed for too long, it needs to be smaller and there needs to be an option for the customer to set the display time. Can you be more specific about when screens you think are poorly designed? Perhaps that will help the developers understand your concerns better.

3) How old are you? I am 70, almost 71, I have very poor eyesight, very nearsighted and red/green colorblind, been wearing glasses since I was 12 or so and am diabetic so my eyesight has been affected by that too, and the fonts (and colors) are just fine for me, even without my glasses.

I guess my total reaction is you need to give it a chance, I think it will grow on you after a few days. It took me a few days to get used to it, I now am very happy with 1.9.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes