OTA Channels without STB
HawkViewer
Enthusiast - Level 1

Up until about 2 months ago, I was able to connect a TV to coax and watch local OTA channels without a STB.  This suddenly stopped.  I have verified that I have a signal by connecting an STB to the location, however, the TV still cannot find the local channels.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I use this setup for a spare room that doesnt warrant having a dedicated box.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: OTA Channels without STB
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Most likely Verizon has disabled the "F" connector on the ONT.

Last month my church had Fios installed. A few weeks ago. I connected a television and tried scanning for channels.

(Note: the church only subscribes to Internet and telephone services. No television subscription).

Nothing was found.

At home. I subscribe all three services. There I am able to connect directly to the feed from the ONT and receive OTA channels.

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@HawkViewer wrote:

Up until about 2 months ago, I was able to connect a TV to coax and watch local OTA channels without a STB.  This suddenly stopped.  I have verified that I have a signal by connecting an STB to the location, however, the TV still cannot find the local channels.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I use this setup for a spare room that doesnt warrant having a dedicated box.

Not 100% sure, but they may be encrypted now. If it is a smart TV you could stream them, or get a Roku or Firestick and use it for that.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Most likely Verizon has disabled the "F" connector on the ONT.

Last month my church had Fios installed. A few weeks ago. I connected a television and tried scanning for channels.

(Note: the church only subscribes to Internet and telephone services. No television subscription).

Nothing was found.

At home. I subscribe all three services. There I am able to connect directly to the feed from the ONT and receive OTA channels.