Occasional cable issue with no sound
bstpeg1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sometimes, when I turn on my TV, there will be no sound from the FiOS box, and the audio bar will be stuck on the screen and say "fixed". The only way to fix it and get the sound back is to unplug and reboot the box.

I've gotten a new box and continue to have the same issue. This is with the main FiOS tv one box (not a mini).

It seems like a software issue with the box. It only happens when I turn the TV on, and the remote turns on/off both the box and TV, so I wonder if it's some issue to do with them both turning on at the same time.

Here's a video of the issue. I also checked the diagnostic menu and it shows the cable box stuck on mute even though it shows fixed on max volume.

Anyone else have an issue like this?

Video: https://youtu.be/Clk44rmcgSc

54 Replies
StevenV1

Is there no solution to this yet then?

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@StevenV wrote:

Is there no solution to this yet then?

Again, call Samsung and demand they fix their firmware with regards to handshake issues. If you read this thread, EVERYONE having issues owns a Samsung TV. Also look to see if there is a firmware update you can apply to your TV. Temporarily you could try unhooking the HDMI cable from the Fios Box to the TV for 10 seconds or so, then plug it back in. IT should temporarily resolve the handshake issue. Doesn't matter which end you disconnect.

bstpeg1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Do you have details about the exact issue with the handshake that's happening? Given that earlier in the thread you said that the FiOS engineers have identified an issue and are working on a fix, it sounds like they should have a pretty good idea of exactly what's wrong. I would think that we would get farther by having FiOS work with Samsung to fix the issue rather than telling consumers to call some random 1-800 number and say something like "the HDMI handshake is broken, please fix it."

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@bstpeg1 wrote:

Do you have details about the exact issue with the handshake that's happening? Given that earlier in the thread you said that the FiOS engineers have identified an issue and are working on a fix, it sounds like they should have a pretty good idea of exactly what's wrong. I would think that we would get farther by having FiOS work with Samsung to fix the issue rather than telling consumers to call some random 1-800 number and say something like "the HDMI handshake is broken, please fix it."

A firmware update is coming soon, hopefully it will fix the issue. I don't have an exact date but apparently it has been looked into. I don't have the details of the issue, but it isn't the first time Samsung has had issues with other manufacturers equipment. All I am allowed to say is it SHOULD be fixed SOON.

JamesBrown1

For clarification, who is providing the forthcoming firmware fix?  Samsung/Verizon?

Thanks

JB

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@JamesBrown wrote:

For clarification, who is providing the forthcoming firmware fix?  Samsung/Verizon?

Thanks

JB

I believe Samsung and Verizon cooperated on the fix. It will be coming to a Fios box near you as an APR update.

NoSound4U
Enthusiast - Level 1

Any idea when this fix/APR update is expected to land? This thread has been open and active for 6 months. What’s the hold up Verizon? 

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@NoSound4U wrote:

Any idea when this fix/APR update is expected to land? This thread has been open and active for 6 months. What’s the hold up Verizon? 

Look for APR 7.12.

WolfWolf

I am also experiencing the same issue with Fios and new Samsung OLED TV.

0 Likes
StevenV1

Nine times out of ten Fios has no sound when I switch from Netflix or Xbox or any other input device back to Fios. A little volume box appears in top right corner on Fios that says "Fixed 30" but there is no sound. The only solution I have is to unplug the Fios box to restart it and then the sound returns. I have to do this multiple times a day; is there another solution?

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi StevenV,

Is this a Samsung TV?

0 Likes
StevenV1

Yes it is

0 Likes
JamesBrown1

i have the same issue with the fios tv one connected to a samsung q7 connected a samsung hw90 soundbar.  it is something to do with the hdmi handshake.  i can work around the issue without reboot by either 1) toggle stb video mode from 1080p back to 4k or 2) on the samsung toggle the hdmi-cec.  i tried new cerified cables on the chain to no avail.  this is very annoying.  i have technically challenged parents who watch soundless tv in long stretches until i get around to fixing this.

0 Likes
gerdia
Enthusiast - Level 1

Mine seems to work 100% if I turn it all on with the fios remote.  The Samsung remote fails all the time. 

I must have something to do with the sequence. 

0 Likes
NoSound4U
Enthusiast - Level 1

Any update on this? 

0 Likes
gerdia
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm afraid I don't understand why,  but if I turn on the the TV with the Verizon remote, the sound is fine 100% of the time. 

If I use the Samsung remote it's off and I have to reboot. 

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Gerdia wrote:

I'm afraid I don't understand why,  but if I turn on the the TV with the Verizon remote, the sound is fine 100% of the time. 

If I use the Samsung remote it's off and I have to reboot. 

Does the order the devices turn on differ from one remote to the other? Could be the Fios box has to come on first, then the TV to avoid the sound missing glitch.

gerdia
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hard to tell,  they both act the same. But this has only become an issue this year. This setup has been in place for about 5 years without issue. 

Not sure what make out of it. 

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Gerdia wrote:

Hard to tell,  they both act the same. But this has only become an issue this year. This setup has been in place for about 5 years without issue. 

Not sure what make out of it. 

Sounds like a handshake issue between the Fios box and the TV. Could have been the result of a firmware update to either device not being 100% compatible with the other. The power up order of devices in the HDMI chain sometimes makes a big difference in performance, even a tiny delay one way or the other could cause issues, which is what this looks like.

gerdia
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue, samsung connected to sound bar via optical cable, STB connected to TV via hdmi. 

When audio is missing, it's also missing via TV internal speakers.  Reboot is the only way to bring it back. Looks like this has been an issue for a while,  time to call Comcast. 

0 Likes