Outage in Northern VA ?
tgolds
Enthusiast - Level 2

The storm last night must have done some damage. I am not getting many programs on FIOS as well as the phone line is down. My cell phone does not have any bars as well. Good thing the FIOS internet is working. Anyone else experiencing these problems?

0 Likes
192 Replies
jss9669
Contributor - Level 1

I must be in that "1%" as well.  Still absolutely nothing in La Plata, MD.  According to SMECO's website, power has been restored to all but 11 people in Charles County, and all but 20 people in SMECO's entire area.  Yet still no service from Verizon.

0 Likes
Marg99

My phone has also been out since yesterday, although the TV and Internet are working.  I haven't had any luck finding a solution.  If anyone else has, I would appreciate it the info. 

0 Likes
Wanaki

Central Fairfax.

Landline cannot receive. Message is all circuits busy when you call it. Can't call out, except to my wife's in-home office number. All other calls, including long distance, result in busy signal.  Occaisoonal total phone line outage, including FIOS internet. Mostly OK on internet and TV. No mobile in neighborhood (CREDO on Sprint network).  Was able to get signal in Fairfax City.

As usual, no transparency from Verizon.

Would be nice if Verizon monitored these boards and posted respone to posters.

0 Likes
RPVA

I am in Arlington.  No dial tone at phone, TV/Internet are fine.  I plugged a phone into test outlet in the outside FIOS box (ONT).  No dial tone at the box.  I have fixed storm related problems in the past with Internet/TV by powering down and rebooting the ONT but I am hesitant to do it a second time this time because TV and Internet are working.   I can live without the phone, but need the Internet/TV fix.

0 Likes
jss9669
Contributor - Level 1
7:00PM and still nothing in La Plata, MD. No TV, phone, or internet.
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Fuel Deliveries for electric power generators at the C.O.? My guess.

0 Likes
BSK2112
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sunday Night 7/1/12 no home or cell service. Was working yesterday. Today, all circuits are busy.. Cant call out on hone or VZW cell.

0 Likes
army164
In Suffolk Va and my Dsl down since Friday evening. Verizon tells me power outage. Anyone else in SE VA being told same thing?
0 Likes
Jata2
Herndon - cant dial into my landline since the storm. Get recorded message that call cannot be completed. After 3 days, this is ludicrous - no one works on the weekend?
0 Likes
mrn111

Was up until 1am trying to get the STB's to subscribe to 1 TV station to no avail. I should have checked this forum. Call the on-screen number only to get a "Can't complete this call". Hope they fix this soon.

0 Likes
Kroger1

Springfield VA, same problem with no channels being subscribed. No Internet either. 

Phone service is working and cell coverage is up/down, very spotty.

Considering there are still some people in the DC area that will not have any electricity until later this week, I'm grateful that we have power. But no TV and Internet makes two grumpy kids!

0 Likes
wizarddj1

I am in Fairfax, got 2 tv boxes, one working spotty, other is nothing come up, talked to support, saying 2 more days before they may able to resolve outage.

0 Likes
blizz3r

I'm in Springfield, and my FiOs Internet went down Saturday night around 10:30pm. They told me sunday morning, it was part of the outtage. No update. My TVs work fine, I think its cuz i have TiVo STBs.  No word when internet would be restored.

0 Likes
nitewulf69

I can make local (703) calls on my landline phone, but no long distance or 1-800 calls which result in a busy signal. Is anyone else having this same problem? I'm assuming it's storm-related as it started over the weekend.

0 Likes
yuriy1
Enthusiast - Level 1
My grandmother and I are both in Reston. We can call some numbers from the landline, but others get the busy signal, or "circuits are busy." Calling my mobile # from the landline was getting the busy signal until late Sunday. DSL does not connect to the internet at all. Would be really nice to get an update about restoring the service from somebody.....
0 Likes
rfred
Enthusiast - Level 1

Lack of network and phone status information on the Verizon home page makes many more people try to call the support lines which overwhelms the system.  This would be a simple way to increase customer satisfaction, reduce wait time and phone usage, as well as allow more time for Verizon employees to  help those they can. 

It would appear that today they are having trouble handling the call volume.  My land line (FIOS) works intermittently both incoming and outgoing.  Maybe diminished capacity + high volume = poor signal service.  A statement to the various news outlets in our area would help too.  I would hate to think that a 911 call can't get through because 500,000 people are trying to reach support because of lack of communication on Verizons part.  Their web page and facebook page should have their current status big and bold. The first thing you see in an emergency situation like this.  Or at least a prominent "Network Status" link.  If I know you are aware of my problem and are working on it I will not tie up your lines trying to figure that out!

Interestingly, my elderly mother who has the Cox bundle has electricity since last night but still no phone.  Internet chat with Cox reveals that they are aware of her problem and are fixing it as fast as they can.  This is all I needed to know in order to decide whether to travel to her home and start resetting phones, or call support.  This took maybe 2 minutes to figure out.  I was unable to call their phone support because my Verizon phone could not get a signal out... "all lines are busy" message this time.

This speedy response and availability of the Cox rep has convinced me that maybe Verizon is not worth the trouble.

Scoopmeup
Enthusiast - Level 2

Last month a server in my area (southeastern PA) went down.  FIOS TV was fine but could only get verizon's web site and the weather channel on the internet.  There was never any announcement on their website or the FIOS TV system.  I called and was on hold for 45 minutes before someone finally came on and said that the server was down.

I don't get why Verizon keeps everyone in the dark (no pun intended) about the outages.

0 Likes
fjg
Sterling VA - update - we got internet back Monday evening. Up and down it went a few times and then stayed up. This is a big plus since I work from home. Had to work elsewhere on Monday. I did finally get an utomated call Monday afternoon telling me there were issues and that I would get another call when restored but so far no other call. 3 full days for me. Could not even use work dial up number since the phones would not do toll numbers until Monday evening. Very happy that it is back up!
0 Likes
Sc0tt
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have FIOS Internet/TV/Voice in Fairfax Co. VA.  When the power when off on Friday night, the first thing I did was pick up the phone to report the power outage.  The phone worked then, but by Saturday morning I had no dial tone. 

On Saturday morning, I got my generator running and plugged in the FIOS battery backup and the Actiontec router.  I was able to access the internet (I didn't try the TV), but even though my battery back up was on generator power, I still had no dial tone.

This condition persisted through Saturday (6/30) and through most of Sunday (7/1), in fact, it didn't change after the power was restored on Sunday. 

Even after the dial tone returned on Sunday afternoon, I was unable to make calls (I received a "lines busy" signal) and some incoming calls weren't received (the callers switched to my cell phone).

Verizon needs to do an analysis of what backups are needed for FIOS digital voice service.  I would suggest that something need to be upgraded or changed, because it was apparent that a backup power supply on my end (the generator) was of no use to keep my landline phone service going.

Also, Verizon should use the existing customer email addresses on record to send out updates or notices regarding interruptions of service.  Of course, since Verizon wasn't providing much information to the media or to local government officials regarding the 911 outage, I guess I shouldn't expect too much as a customer.

MsgMac
Enthusiast - Level 1
All my services, phone, Internet, and cable have been dead since last Friday evening. Verizon phone calls have resulted in automated answers which transfer to hold for live person, and then hang up after several minutes. Thank God I have an I-pad and Barnes and noble has free Internet. I am 2 hours from filing a complain with the Maryland Public Utilities Commission.
nurseroxxy
Enthusiast - Level 2

i'm in baltimore and have been without any services since the storm last friday...i can talk to a person at verizon, but its always "your service should be back up by 11:13 pm or 3:13pm" every day i call its the same bull crap. I have seen verizon trucks out here but who knows what for and one guy was here when we didn't have power yet and it was 1 am...hmmm what was he doin? definitely not fixing the fios in the PITCH BLACK OF NIGHT!!!. i AM NOT going to sit at home all day every day since i'm on maternity with no tv or internet i will just switch to comcast if this goes on much longer....i'm sure they can get here quicker than verizon will fix this mess!!!