QIP6416 recording error
getproblemfix

Recorded Presidents Cup from Golf Channel HD today.  Started viewing recording. About 1:30hr into recording, started getting GC program from another time - could not fast forward, skip, pause what was being shown.  Hit Info button and showed still in recorded program, but was not.   If I STOP playback, goes to live broadcast of GC.  Also, for first time, have started getting DU1 on front of DVR when switching between HD and SD channels.  Have never had this before 1.7.  Am using Sony Bravia tv with HDMI cable.

0 Likes
Re: QIP6416 recording error
getproblemfix

Forgot to include.  Same thing happened on wife's tv (also sony) at the same time in the recording.  Both went to part of a "Big Breaak" show-could not pause, skip, FF recording, no sound available.  If go to live tv, no problem.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@getproblemfix wrote:

Recorded Presidents Cup from Golf Channel HD today.  Started viewing recording. About 1:30hr into recording, started getting GC program from another time - could not fast forward, skip, pause what was being shown.  Hit Info button and showed still in recorded program, but was not.   If I STOP playback, goes to live broadcast of GC.  Also, for first time, have started getting DU1 on front of DVR when switching between HD and SD channels.  Have never had this before 1.7.  Am using Sony Bravia tv with HDMI cable.

Yours is the first report of a problem like this that I have seen. I doubt if anybody here is going to be able to give you any real help, I think you are going to need to call the FSC for help, maybe get a replacement DVR. I also have a Sony TV and am using HDMI. The only suggestion I can really make is to pull the power plug for 20-30 seconds, plug it back in and see if the problem happens again (I do suggest you delete the recording you currently have, if it is corrupted I suspect it is going to continue causing problems).

I have a 6416 DVR, have recorded several programs since getting 1.7 last week, have not had any problems like you describe viewing any recordings, either ones recorded before getting 1.7 or after.

I also do not see the DU1 when switching between HD and SD channels. Do you see a long delay when doing that switch? If so you can get rid of the delay by going into the Menu and setting the SD Override to OFF. I always use OFF but I did just go in and set it to 480i to see if I could reproduce your experience, but I still did not see the DU1.

Maybe someone else will have some better ideas, but if removing the power does not fix the problem I think you need to call the FSC.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
mjg

Justin, do you happen to know anything about "HDMI handshake" issues?  We have a Sharp tv & over the past 6 months, the screen goes black & a "du1" error flashes on the Set Top Box (another post I saw says its actually a DV1 error).  I've been trying to research the issue b/c we had a tv repair guy out who now wants to replace internal parts of the tv.  I've been reading through posts on here & someone suggested that the problem we are having is perhaps a handshake issue.  Any thoughts?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@mjg wrote:

Justin, do you happen to know anything about "HDMI handshake" issues?  We have a Sharp tv & over the past 6 months, the screen goes black & a "du1" error flashes on the Set Top Box (another post I saw says its actually a DV1 error).  I've been trying to research the issue b/c we had a tv repair guy out who now wants to replace internal parts of the tv.  I've been reading through posts on here & someone suggested that the problem we are having is perhaps a handshake issue.  Any thoughts?

Fortunately I have never had any HDMI handshake issues with my QIP6416 and Sony LCD (knocking on every piece of wood I can find Smiley Happy ) So I am far from being an expert on this issue. But it certainly is real for some folks, others apparently never see it. I have no idea what percentage of users see the problem, or what configurations (TV models and/or brands, STB model, presence or absence of a home theater system, ect) trigger the problem. 

Here is what little (I think) I know:

1) du1 (or whatever the code is) is not an error code, it is an indication of the HDMI handshake taking place, and is normal when the STB and the HDMI-connected device first begin communicating. I never turn off my DVR, when I turn on the TV I see the du1 code while the handshake occurs. I have the 1.7 level of the IMG, the handshake seems to take longer than with previous IMG levels, but it completes and I don't ever see it again until I turn off/on the TV.

2) From posts here and at other forums, it appears that the 1.7 level of the IMG has helped eliminate or at least reduce the occurance of handshake failures. Also, it seems that some TVs, especially certain brands and older models, are more prone to the problem, and sometimes can be fixed with an update from the TV manufacturer.

3) Switching to component connections will eliminate the HDMI handshake issue, because no handshake takes place. Some people object to making this switch, I don't understand the refusual to try something that might eliminate the problem they are experiencing. If I had the handshake issue, I would immediate try switching to component. Some people feel that component delivers inferior picture quality, others say it is actually better; I don't know, it may really depend on the specific TV, but why not try it?

Now, your description is you get this handshake occuring while actually watching the TV, not just at power on of one or both devices. To me, that indicates that for some reason the connection between the STB and the device (TV in your case) is being lost, and they are trying to re-negotiate the connection parameters, and since the code goes away and the picture re-appears, the negotiation is completed successfully. That seems to me to be a hardware problem on one end or the other, it is certainly not normal to have to re-negotiate the connection after the original negotiation was completed successfully. It certainly could be a hardware problem in the TV which could be fixed by the technician, but I guess I would only have that done if the cost was zero or very low.

Perhaps a silly question: are you sure that the TV is not occasionally losing power or actually turning off and then back on? If that were occuring, it would match your symptoms. When the screen is black, is there a power light on the TV that is still on? And maybe is it in the TV power supply area where the TV tech wants to replace parts?

I wish I had the answer for you, but unfortunately I obviously do not. Maybe someone else can come up with more info and suggestions.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes