Samsung TV not always picking up Fios box through hdmi
Siggy6
Enthusiast - Level 2

Strange situation where I have my tv, cable box and sound bar come on together and almost every morning it works but in the evening the tv won’t pick up cable box and I have to go through hdmi connection guide and it always then works. Here is setup with Samsung QN 75, Fios set top box, Samsung sound bar and yamaha TSR 5830 receiver.  

setup - tv 

optical to soundbar

hdmi 2 to firestick 

hdmi 3 / arc to receiver out

set up - receiver 

DVD to hdmi 1

cable box to hdmi 2

tv / hdmi 3/ arc to hdmi out 

why would i have no problems almost every morning and problems almost every evening ? Everything else works fine when I turn receiver on for surround sound or using apps.   On the Fios box, I have enabled the tv input control and have none under auto power off.   Could there be an issue with the time between on and off that I’m missing ? Once I go through connection guide everything works fine. 

any suggestions anyone has would be great

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung TV not always picking up Fios box through hdmi
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Siggy6 wrote:

Thanks for your help but something happened on my other tv that is giving me thoughts - could it be going into standby mode or sleep at times when turning it off ? On my other tv I also have the auto power off mode in never but sometimes when I turn on the tv the fios splash screen comes on and makes you hit exit to watch.  Is there another setting somewhere that is causing this and could it be doing o to this to too causing my issues ? 


The Fios splash screen comes on when the box is turned off. It never totally powers down. That's normal behavior. If you see the splash screen, then the TV is turning on but the box is NOT, so I'd try re-programming the remote to make sure when you hit the power button the box turns on too. That should eliminate the splash screen.

View solution in original post

Re: Samsung TV not always picking up Fios box through hdmi
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Siggy6 wrote:

Strange situation where I have my tv, cable box and sound bar come on together and almost every morning it works but in the evening the tv won’t pick up cable box and I have to go through hdmi connection guide and it always then works. Here is setup with Samsung QN 75, Fios set top box, Samsung sound bar and yamaha TSR 5830 receiver.  

setup - tv 

optical to soundbar

hdmi 2 to firestick 

hdmi 3 / arc to receiver out

set up - receiver 

DVD to hdmi 1

cable box to hdmi 2

tv / hdmi 3/ arc to hdmi out 

why would i have no problems almost every morning and problems almost every evening ? Everything else works fine when I turn receiver on for surround sound or using apps.   On the Fios box, I have enabled the tv input control and have none under auto power off.   Could there be an issue with the time between on and off that I’m missing ? Once I go through connection guide everything works fine. 

any suggestions anyone has would be great


The time of day thing is strange, but I'd try swapping HDMI cables for the Fios box with one of the others to see if that's the problem. If that is no help, try disabling TV input control in the Fios box menu. Also make sure the Fios box is set to a fixed resolution like 2160 or 1080I in the video output settings.

Re: Samsung TV not always picking up Fios box through hdmi
Siggy6
Enthusiast - Level 2

I disabled the input and the other things were all fine. 

it’s definitely not the time of day, but rather how many hours has passed as I didn’t use tv last night but had the same problem this am. 

while I’m narrowing it down, unfortunately still no solution 

0 Likes
Re: Samsung TV not always picking up Fios box through hdmi
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Siggy6 wrote:

I disabled the input and the other things were all fine. 

it’s definitely not the time of day, but rather how many hours has passed as I didn’t use tv last night but had the same problem this am. 

while I’m narrowing it down, unfortunately still no solution 


Also look at: menu>settings>system>Fios TV one settings>auto power off and set it to never, or 4 hours. It may be that when the box powers off, it looses its connection to the receiver. If you can, try powering the Fios box on first, then the receiver, then the TV. Sometimes the power-up order can affect the status of devices in the HDMI chain.

Re: Samsung TV not always picking up Fios box through hdmi
Siggy6
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks and I had it set for never.

i use my Fios remote to turn on tv, sound bar and box together - is there a way to set it up for the box to come on first ?

and while I can’t be sure it’s the time passed between using, it does seem the logical explanation. Or not. 

0 Likes
Re: Samsung TV not always picking up Fios box through hdmi
Siggy6
Enthusiast - Level 2

And to clarify, I’m not using the receiver at initial turn on - it’s tv, cable box and and sound bar 

0 Likes
Re: Samsung TV not always picking up Fios box through hdmi
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Siggy6 wrote:

And to clarify, I’m not using the receiver at initial turn on - it’s tv, cable box and and sound bar 


So the only HDMI connection from the Fios box to the TV is through the receiver? I assume it has a passthrough feature when off, right? Does the passthrough allow 4K HDR to passthrough?

Re: Samsung TV not always picking up Fios box through hdmi
Siggy6
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes it does and it’s on. Wouldn’t that prevent it all the time even if it didn’t though ?

Sorry for the delay. 

0 Likes
Re: Samsung TV not always picking up Fios box through hdmi
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Siggy6 wrote:

Yes it does and it’s on. Wouldn’t that prevent it all the time even if it didn’t though ?

Sorry for the delay. 


I'd also check the passthrough settings in the receiver and make sure the resolution is set to a fixed 1080i or 2160. Could be the receiver trying to change resolution based on input messing things up. You could also try going from Fios box direct to TV for a test for a day and see if it still reboots. Also check the passthrough settings in the receiver for any other automatic options that could affect the output.

Re: Samsung TV not always picking up Fios box through hdmi
Siggy6
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your help but something happened on my other tv that is giving me thoughts - could it be going into standby mode or sleep at times when turning it off ? On my other tv I also have the auto power off mode in never but sometimes when I turn on the tv the fios splash screen comes on and makes you hit exit to watch.  Is there another setting somewhere that is causing this and could it be doing o to this to too causing my issues ? 

0 Likes