Sept 2020 Fios DVR and Guide Update
Scott804
Enthusiast - Level 2

This week Fios pushed out interface updates for their TV services. After nearly 3 hours in chats, I was finally told that there is no way to roll back updates once loaded and they base new update options based on posts in the forum. Below are my complaints that they will only fix with enough support on here, if you have the same issues, please mark the post. 

1. They removed the chapter function for recorded programs on the dvr (the up arrow that would allow you to move to any 10 min marker in a program).

2. The new Now and Next function causes latency when switching channels. Even after setting it to 0 seconds. 

3. They removed the ability to view a single channel lineup in the tv guide. In the past I would just hit guide a second time to see the next 5-10 shows on a single channel. 

4. Finally, I just find the prettier guide view harder to actually read and process. Not sure if it is the number of channels,  dark screen, or just that it is too busy.  Turning off the background video helped a little, but not much. 

1 Solution
Nilsa_VZ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Please disregard that this topic has been marked as solved. This post was marked as the solution in order to float it to the beginning of this thread for increased visibility.

Dear Verizon Customers,

Thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention. We are listening to you and based on your feedback, we have made SOME additional changes to the new Fios TV Interface with the APR 7.8 update. Here are the interface updates:

• User Interface Improvements
    • Guide legibility improvements
    • Free To Me filter renamed to Subscribed
    • Episode font size updated to fit more characters
    • 2 ½ hour guide skipping with prev/next buttons
  • Video On Demand updates
  • Fixes/Improvements

You will see the above mentioned Fios TV interface changes roll out from 12/09 through 1/13.

Additional responses:

Coloring: Here is another way to navigate to channel groups that used to be colored:

The channel neighborhoods are still organized by the genres you're familiar with.  While in the main Guide, press the Guide button again to apply your filters and move over to the Jump To function.  Now you can jump your guide to specific channel neighborhoods.  If you have Fios TV One with a Voice Remote, while in the guide you can also say “Jump to <channel neighborhood>”.

Last Button: The button labeled "Last" on our remotes for 1100 and 4100's can be configured to operate in one of 2 ways. You can either jump back and forth between your last 2 watched programs, or you can have it bring up the "Last Watched Rail" which contains more of your most recently watched content, including VOD and DVR shows.

Access Menu>Settings>System>Television>Last Watched Rail to enable and disable the Last Watched Rail.

If the "Last Watch Rail" disappears, please use this workaround: Reboot the box or boxes on which the issue is seen to check if that fixes the problem. If it still appears bothersome or comes back, please disable the last watched rail.  Access Menu>Settings>System>Television>Last Watched Rail to enable and disable the Last Watched Rail.

We are aware of the Last Watched Rail issue reported in this Community and we will have a fix in place with the next release.

Guide Banner: You can disable the Guide Ad banner setting via the following:

Main Menu>>settings>>Notification>Guide Banners->Disable

Lagging / Slowness / Sluggishness:

If you are still experiencing lagging, slowness or sluggishness when interacting with the set top box after the latest update (APR 7.8), please elaborate on which specific functionality is exhibiting this behavior (ex. Navigating Menu/Guide/On Demand, channel surfing, DVR etc.)?

Please feel free to provide any additional details which will be useful and assist the development team as they further investigate.

As always, we greatly appreciate and value your feedback.

Thank you.

Verizon Logo
Nilsa
Community Manager

Community Manager
Community Manager II

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1,202 Replies
dman41
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ridiculous that when a company like Verizon undertakes a project like this, they don’t review existing features and make sure they’re not eliminating them and that they’re actually making improvements.  I miss the color coded guide, where I could quickly see which channels were showing sports and which were showing movies, etc.

southsgt
Enthusiast - Level 1

Fios ruined a perfectly fine , easy to read and navigate TV guide. Why in the hell did they do that and not even give us the option to keep version we loved. I miss and needed the colors for easier navigation. This present system, plain and simple...bad. They also took away our OK wheel functions that allowed for easy CC access and deleting recordings and jump to live feature. And u cant even view present channel video while in this annoying new guide version. 

FWEhr
Contributor - Level 1

Sigh. Where to begin? I know where!! The dread that swept over me when I got the feckless email about this forced rollout. "New stuff" from Verizon is almost never a good thing. But to be more specific:

1. With playback paused, green OK button used to show (a) current position within recording and (b) current clock time. Now instead it is interpreted as Play. I do know where the Play button is and don't need a second one. And current time has been eliminated.

2. When recording is paused, the bottom third of the screen is taken over by crap that was always available via the Info button. And "suggestions" for what else to watch. Verizon, even if we shared a house you would know not at all what I am interested in, so don't insult me by pretending.

3. How much did you pay your crack team of developers to show "--> 30secs" in the middle of the screen? Did your exhaustive research reveal that your customers are so addled they cannot remember the skip forward interval they chose 5 years ago?

4. On both items 1 and 2, I want the dwell time to be 3 seconds or less. Do you know better?

I suspect there will be more mistakes revealed. And yes I get it, we like to complain. But VERIZON, the STB UI was NOT broken and you have certainly not fixed it.

Bitty11
Enthusiast - Level 1

Fios did not take into consideration older viewers.  The new TV guide is much too small of a print.  Unless some of us are actually sitting up close to the tv, it’s impossible for us to see what the channels are.

msb01904
Enthusiast - Level 1

i dont like cuz tooo small see channel and color to dark  very very dispoist about not happy please fix it need big size font and channel like kind blind 

MEBONJ
Enthusiast - Level 1

Can't imagine what the benefit of eliminating the program chaptering was that is worth the inconvenience to the end user! Please put it back ASAP!!

LJT11
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree, just woke up to the update this morning and it sucks.  If the internet wasn't so much better than Comcast, I would go back to Comcast.  Verizon is so arrogant....they think that whatever they think is the best, is the best and don't give customers the option to choose what they prefer.  Just like when you try to shut your TV off and it doesn't really shut off.  

LaylaG
Enthusiast - Level 1

Agree it is far too busy and latency an issue all around. I have yet to dive in but what I see so far is not an improvement. 

mfs564
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is the worst UI update I have ever seen in my entire life. I used to love FiOS. The new UI is profoundly broken and entirely unusable. I will be canceling if this update is not completely and totally reversed to the previous version. 

Murphs56
Enthusiast - Level 1

What in the world happened? I used to be able to cycle through at least a week of programming quickly by using my remote so I can record a show in the future but now the new guide only lets you cycle through a few hours. 

Customerin11552
Enthusiast - Level 2

Keep spreading how bad it is and maybe they will change back.  First time since I switched to Verizon 7 years ago I am considering switching back to Optimum.

Kmill2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Does anyone know how to get the channel logos to load? All I see is a tv symbol for every channel. Please help. I’ve rebooted the stb several times.

0 Likes
Dan781
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a Guide problem probably associated with the update. I have my Guide set to display subscribed channels only. The HD version of the local Fox station (513) does not appear in the Guide even though it is clearly part of my subscriber package.

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Dan78 wrote:

I have a Guide problem probably associated with the update. I have my Guide set to display subscribed channels only. The HD version of the local Fox station (513) does not appear in the Guide even though it is clearly part of my subscriber package.

You may need to call customer service and have them reset your account. That usually clears up that kind of problem.

0 Likes
JLS31
Enthusiast - Level 1

You started exactly our frustration with the new Fios changes.  Removing the chapter guide (up arrow that allowed the 10 min DVR scroll) is enough to make us want to switch carrier services.  I am a teacher and don't have time to forward 30 seconds at a time.  Didn’t Verizon do any testing with these changes?  The new guide is much too difficult to read.  The Now and Next is such a waste.  I am so frustrated and have wasted so much time trying to figure out how to go back to the previous version that was so much better.  

Theoldemann
Enthusiast - Level 1

Here's a trick I found works pretty well for long rewinding or fast-forwarding.  On the DVR menu in Configure and Upgrade hit the skip and/or replay, set it to 5 minutes, hit Exit on the remote and then just click the Next or Prev button six times and you got a half hour.

Viewer54
Enthusiast - Level 1

I hate that you removed the chapter function! It takes forever to fast forward through a recording and find what I want to see. Sports, talent shows, etc., NEED this feature. Also, if we fall asleep on a show we want to quickly get back to where we left off. This and the visual clutter disrupts sports when you skip forward have ruined the watching experience.  We WERE happy with Fios, but now not so much. Please correct soon or we may just be content with streaming services through our computer. 

plaut
Enthusiast - Level 2

Absolutely terrible - please at least give us the option of reverting to the old guide.

My biggest gripe, in addition to no chaptering, no live PiP, and the useless pop-up when skipping, is that the detailed program information is at the top of the screen whereas the selection of the channel is in the middle.  That means you have to keep looking back and forth to see what is actually on on a given channel.  The old guide would expand the currently selected channel in place which was so much better....

ak1760
Enthusiast - Level 1
 My husband and I are not fans of the new browser guide look and functionality.  Issues we have:
 - white font is really hard to read.  eyes blend into screen and is irritating. Miss having sports/movies/kids stations etc in different colors to call them out.
- Really dislike that when you browse other channels that the small box of what you are currently watching is no longer shown.
- "last" function is so slow. hate having to go to another screen before seeing the last channel
- Absolutley HATE that we have to "dismiss" ads for other shows when we are browsing
- seems to cut off the end of the show when I DVR them.
 - Video and audio go out of sync quite frequently
- can't scroll "fast" anymore with the page up/down button
Not happy at all with this new guide.  
BigR1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree with everything posted. This new guide is AWFUL. I’d like to see Verizon explain to ALL their current customers how this upgrade is beneficial and why it is so some better than the old guide. Up until now I have not regretted my switch from COX two years ago. Now this new upgrade is starting to make me wonder if I should look around. In my opinion this so called “upgrade” is a major “downgrade”. Come on Verizon, give the customers what they want and reinstall the old guide.

JoPie1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I hate the new FIOs guide. It is sluggish.  You cannot see what you were watching when searching through the guide.  The go back (last) feature is not working.   Someone at Verizon fix this mess.