Sept 2020 Fios DVR and Guide Update
Scott804
Enthusiast - Level 2

This week Fios pushed out interface updates for their TV services. After nearly 3 hours in chats, I was finally told that there is no way to roll back updates once loaded and they base new update options based on posts in the forum. Below are my complaints that they will only fix with enough support on here, if you have the same issues, please mark the post. 

1. They removed the chapter function for recorded programs on the dvr (the up arrow that would allow you to move to any 10 min marker in a program).

2. The new Now and Next function causes latency when switching channels. Even after setting it to 0 seconds. 

3. They removed the ability to view a single channel lineup in the tv guide. In the past I would just hit guide a second time to see the next 5-10 shows on a single channel. 

4. Finally, I just find the prettier guide view harder to actually read and process. Not sure if it is the number of channels,  dark screen, or just that it is too busy.  Turning off the background video helped a little, but not much. 

1 Solution
Nilsa_VZ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Please disregard that this topic has been marked as solved. This post was marked as the solution in order to float it to the beginning of this thread for increased visibility.

Dear Verizon Customers,

Thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention. We are listening to you and based on your feedback, we have made SOME additional changes to the new Fios TV Interface with the APR 7.8 update. Here are the interface updates:

• User Interface Improvements
    • Guide legibility improvements
    • Free To Me filter renamed to Subscribed
    • Episode font size updated to fit more characters
    • 2 ½ hour guide skipping with prev/next buttons
  • Video On Demand updates
  • Fixes/Improvements

You will see the above mentioned Fios TV interface changes roll out from 12/09 through 1/13.

Additional responses:

Coloring: Here is another way to navigate to channel groups that used to be colored:

The channel neighborhoods are still organized by the genres you're familiar with.  While in the main Guide, press the Guide button again to apply your filters and move over to the Jump To function.  Now you can jump your guide to specific channel neighborhoods.  If you have Fios TV One with a Voice Remote, while in the guide you can also say “Jump to <channel neighborhood>”.

Last Button: The button labeled "Last" on our remotes for 1100 and 4100's can be configured to operate in one of 2 ways. You can either jump back and forth between your last 2 watched programs, or you can have it bring up the "Last Watched Rail" which contains more of your most recently watched content, including VOD and DVR shows.

Access Menu>Settings>System>Television>Last Watched Rail to enable and disable the Last Watched Rail.

If the "Last Watch Rail" disappears, please use this workaround: Reboot the box or boxes on which the issue is seen to check if that fixes the problem. If it still appears bothersome or comes back, please disable the last watched rail.  Access Menu>Settings>System>Television>Last Watched Rail to enable and disable the Last Watched Rail.

We are aware of the Last Watched Rail issue reported in this Community and we will have a fix in place with the next release.

Guide Banner: You can disable the Guide Ad banner setting via the following:

Main Menu>>settings>>Notification>Guide Banners->Disable

Lagging / Slowness / Sluggishness:

If you are still experiencing lagging, slowness or sluggishness when interacting with the set top box after the latest update (APR 7.8), please elaborate on which specific functionality is exhibiting this behavior (ex. Navigating Menu/Guide/On Demand, channel surfing, DVR etc.)?

Please feel free to provide any additional details which will be useful and assist the development team as they further investigate.

As always, we greatly appreciate and value your feedback.

Thank you.

Community Manager
Community Manager II

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1,202 Replies
hk211
Enthusiast - Level 2

I complete agree with all the complaints about this "upgrade".  My largest complaint is the removal of the chapter feature of the DVR.  

I suggest we complain to the Verizon Executives and fill up their mailboxes. You can find their information here:

https://www.verizon.com/about/our-company/executive-bios 

JohnPOD
Enthusiast - Level 1

This new guide update is horrible!

BCW5451
Enthusiast - Level 1

Very disappointed with the recent changes.  Especially do not understand why they removed the 10 minute chapter skipping option.  Now it can take painfully long to fast forward or back (even at 8x) to a point much earlier or later in a recorded show/movie.

Also do not care for the overall guide look.  Screen looks too busy, channel numbers are readable to me but are on the annoyingly small side.  I used to like the guide view when pushing the up button instead of the "guide" button (less busy with a decent sized screen image still visible) however that no longer works either.

Overall, in my opinion, Verizon took a big step backwards with these new changes.

GDoan
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon,

It really is that bad.

I just read through 550 posts hoping there might be a tidbit on how to "fix" some of what's been broken or some assurance that "help" or fixes are on the way, but nothing.  Nada.  That's pretty bad.  At least give us a sense that an update to address some of these things is on the way and when we might expect it.  Hell, lie to us.

Fix it soon.  Please.

Fire_that_guy
Enthusiast - Level 1

My contract is up in a few months and I'm going to xfinity just because of this outrageous change to the guide. It's not unusual for the developers to change for the sake of change just to justify their jobs, regardless of how lousy the change is. Then they lie and say "We did it in response to customers requests".

BearVA
Enthusiast - Level 1

What happened to the channel logos in the online guide?   All that is there is a TV logo.  How do you get the individual logos back?  I can’t tell what the channels are.

TallGuyVA
Enthusiast - Level 2

After the most recent guide 'upgrade' the logos for each channel all default to "TV" (see attached image).   This omission makes the guide virtually useless for finding channels.  

i have rebooted both the router and the DVR boxes to no avail.   Is there another option?

AVInstallerLI
Enthusiast - Level 1

This post is marked as “Solved”. What does that mean. Every single complaint is completely true. I used to praise the Fios GUI over Cable to my customers. This update is terrible. Go back to the old or update this trash ASAP! It has truly become un-enjoyable! 

Nilsa_VZ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello All,

Please disregard that this topic has been marked as solved. This post was marked as the solution in order to float it to the beginning of this thread for increased visibility.

The respective teams are fully engaged and reviewing all of feedback received as it pertains to the new changes.

We apologize for this inconvenience and thank you for your patience while we work on analyzing  the feedback. 

Thank you. 

Community Manager
Community Manager II
Ed_F
Enthusiast - Level 2

See the post from Verizon above this one. Maybe the almost 600 negative posts to date have finally caught the attention of the QC team at Verizon. With that many subscribers taking the time to post, I think Verizon can extrapolate that the number of dissatisfied customers must be enormous. Hopefully they don't waste time "fixing" things in the new update, but instead just roll back to the previous version since it is superior to the new one in every way.

bristollucy
Contributor - Level 1

It will be interesting to see what comes of the statement from the FIOS Administrator. I'll be surprised if they roll it back although that would be my preference. I was able to speed up the remote response by unplugging and plugging back in the set top box.  I was also able to remove the transparency of the guide which helped to make it considerably easier to read. These are only minor corrections made necessary by the
"Upgrade".

Why in heavens name would they chose to have a column on the guide that says "TV" is beyond comprehension. Color coding was the best way to group types of programming.

Ah well, we'll see.

123Highlight
Enthusiast - Level 2

Fingers crossed. I actually took the time to set up this account, just to ask WHAT THEY WERE THINKING?!!!! Nothing was wrong with the previous version, and it worked! And we could read it. And easily change stations.  JUST BRING IT BACK!!!

TallGuyVA
Enthusiast - Level 2

Please roll back to the former version of the guide until this version is fully user tested.

dodzter1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Nilsa,

I have a novel idea. How about doing more testing with some of the folks on here? These folks and myself obviously care enough about VZ's product to take the time to comment about impact it has on their Fios experience. They care so much many are first time commenters that have created accounts for this very topic. 

Also keep in mind many on here including myself are no longer under contract. We have options. It is very easy to switch. Competitors just love taking away VZ's customers. Especially Comcast. Some offer incentives to switch. 

123Highlight
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's really awful. If something user-friendly and satisfactory isn't put in place soon - REALLY thinking of switching from Verizon. Maybe it's been too long. What customer market tested this before we were all confronted with this overly complex, non-readable, SLOW product?!

UGH!!!!

AVInstallerLI
Enthusiast - Level 1

FAVORITES! 

HOW DO YOU ADD FAV CHANNEL NOW?!! **bleep**!! 

GIVE ME MY OLD FIOS BACK! 

Bunny14
Enthusiast - Level 1

How do I record a show next weekend without scrolling through the guide in half hour increments?

Jcarpin1
Enthusiast - Level 1

The new guide is awful. I have spoken to family and friends with Rios and we are all considering changing service because of this. PLEASE CHANGE IT BACK!

wontootreee
Enthusiast - Level 1

I spent the weekend trying to resist throwing my remote through my TV.  Besides the horrible new guide, it took me 4 or 5 tries just to change the channel.  I called my local cable company first thing this morning to beat the rush from all the other disgruntled FIOS customers.  They'll be here in two days 😊

FIOStvwatcher
Enthusiast - Level 1

I don't believe for a minute that this new guide was tested seriously at all.

My main complaint is that when I change channels or press "Info" the banner on the bottom is taken over by the future shows (on the right) and it also covers half the screen.

The future shows should be removed and the banner should be much lower.

Also the text description has the name of the current show in such a tiny font that it's hard to see while the text for  SERIES 2 EPISODE 14  huge.  When I want to know what show I'm tuned to it's almost impossible to know. 

I also liked to know the original air date of the show. This is also hard to find and not at all there for some shows.  This new guide is a failure.  It seems like the software developers purchased a format and do not know how to make changes to it. 

Mmcghee701
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is an absolute horrible update..not user friendly, filtering doesn’t work correctly, using the guide while watching  Live tv is frustrating, color coding is needed, otherwise just get lost in a guide that is not useable, it is sluggish to respond to remote, I could go on and on..but jeez..my contract is up..time for Sling? Comcast?