Some recorded shows won't play back on 6416
RW5207

I have a 6416 receiver and recently have had a couple of programs that show to be recorded (59 minutes) but when I attempt to play them back they won't play.  The tuner simply reverts back to live TV as if I've canceled the playback.

Has anyone else had this problem?  I have "reset" the box by unplugging/plugging, but no-go.

0 Likes
83 Replies
elmontfios

I am having the same problem and it seems to have started recently. I've had FIOS for two years and never had this problem with this DVR before.

We are located in Elmont, NY. That is on Long Island.

We have seen this problem twice now. 

The other day we attempted to watch and episode of The Fringe, which is on Fox on Wed or Thursday. It was an episode from late January I think and it would not play. Other episodes that we taped were fine and other shows that we taped were fine.

This morning, my son attempted to watch and episode of Kick Butowski, which is on Disney XD on Saturday mornings and it would not play. Other episodes of that show that were recorded work fine.

After reading the other posts it seems to me that something was done on the firmware side that has caused this issue. This is a huge problem and Verizon had better fix it. There is nothing worse than recording a show and expecting to watch it and not being able to. After all that's why we pay for DVR.

0 Likes
Suzanne7777
Contributor - Level 1

I've had FIOs for two years with no technical issues up to now. 

I have a 7216 and did not have this problem until yesterday.  Only 60% of the hard drive is used.  Other shows taped last night, but the program after the Olympics didn't.  When you hit play, it just goes back to live tv even though it says it is 30 minutes long.  This really sucks because you never know if something might not tape.  It seems like things have been deteriorating since we "upgraded" to HD DVR and the 1.7.1 software was downloaded.  The series manager does not communicate with the Guide, either.

Another really annoying thing I've noticed is when you use the remote number buttons to change the channel, every second time, the channel automatically changes to 1952 - the Verizon channel.  It does not matter what buttons you push, it just automatically goes to that channel. 

The bigger Verizon gets, the further the service deteriorates--and now these cheesy technical issues.  Seems pretty embarrassing for such a large company.

0 Likes
sunny4jj

I am also having issues. I have Motorola 7216. I am new to fios and thought I might have done something wrong. Not new to DVR though so couldn't figure out what it was. Extremely annoying. I have had to call Verizon several times with other issues and don't want to call again! Do I have to? It seems they don't know what's going on anyway. What should we do? Does anyone know?

0 Likes
Kent
Enthusiast - Level 3
The one playback problem I've had (on a 7216 STB) was an episode of "The Office" on channel 507 (NBC affiliate) -- recorded Feb. 4 at 9 p.m. I'm in Boston. Hope that helps.
0 Likes
Suzanne7777
Contributor - Level 1

HD STB 7216 -- version 1.7.1 -- Build Number  09.97

Date of show that would not play:  February 27

Time of show: 10:30  Marriage Ref on NBC

On March 2, Lost - set to record in Series Manager. I checked every few days for two weeks to make sure it was set to record, as the "check" on the shows to record in the guide disappear consistently  (I have to go through all the shows to make sure they are set, due to this issue).  At 9:10 I noticed Lost was not recording, and when I pushed the record button, A message box popped up, saying there was a conflict with a show set to record at 10pm!  I cancelled that show (which was lower in priority in the Series Manager, so should not have bumped Lost and there was not a time conflict).  Then it let me start to record Lost.  This was the first time that has happened, but it is really annoying that it would skip the recording for no reason.

It is also annoying to be paying more for this box, and having all of these problems with it.  I do not want to exchange the STB, as I doubt it will make a difference, as this thread shows.

0 Likes
Suzanne7777
Contributor - Level 1

Sorry--forgot to mention-- Florida--Tampa Bay area.

@Suzanne7777 wrote:

HD STB 7216 -- version 1.7.1 -- Build Number  09.97

Date of show that would not play:  February 27

Time of show: 10:30  Marriage Ref on NBC

On March 2, Lost - set to record in Series Manager. I checked every few days for two weeks to make sure it was set to record, as the "check" on the shows to record in the guide disappear consistently  (I have to go through all the shows to make sure they are set, due to this issue).  At 9:10 I noticed Lost was not recording, and when I pushed the record button, A message box popped up, saying there was a conflict with a show set to record at 10pm!  I cancelled that show (which was lower in priority in the Series Manager, so should not have bumped Lost and there was not a time conflict).  Then it let me start to record Lost.  This was the first time that has happened, but it is really annoying that it would skip the recording for no reason.

It is also annoying to be paying more for this box, and having all of these problems with it.  I do not want to exchange the STB, as I doubt it will make a difference, as this thread shows.

0 Likes
drakefantastic

HD STB 7216

Release: 1.7

Build Number  09.83

Problem: recorded show won't play, DVR reverts to live TV.

Shows that would not play:

March 2, The Biggest Loser, NBC, 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm.

notes: Recording was not extended past scheduled end. TV was being watched during the recording on the other tuner.

March 6, NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, Speed HD, 10:59 am to 3:30 pm.

notes: Recording was extended 60 minutes after scheduled ending.  TV was being watched whild recording took place.

Seriously Verizon?  The reason I pay you money is so that I can watch my TV shows. With this DVR (the only option that works with your service), I can only watch 20 hours of shows, and there is about a 1 in 10 chance that the DVR wont let me watch them.  So let's analyze this.  I work and do not have time to watch TV at scheduled times, but fortunatly, you provide a DVR.  The ONLY function of a DVR is to watch programs that I do not have time to watch.  So, if the DVR you provide does not work, I cannot watch TV.  This renders FIOS TV useless, and I will not pay for a service that I do not use.  And then there is anger I feel toward you when a show I am excited about fails to play.  I get some food set up, something to drink, i exhale and forget the worries of the day, and i press "play" on my DVR...and nothing happens.  Fortunatly I have not lost an important show.  If the DVR ever eats LOST or a Sprint Cup race, I will call everyone i know and tell them not to get FIOS.  I will then post on Facebook that FIOS TV eats shows.  I will then go to my job as a school teacher, and I will tell every student in every class to go home and tell their parents how FIOS TV eats your TV shows.  I will then offer extra credit for anyone who switches from FIOS TV to another provider...(ok, maybe the last threat was unethical...no extra credit).

To avoid the above threats, please give me the only two things i want in a DVR: the ability to record a buzillion HD shows and the ability to actually watch the shows I record. And I am willing to give up widgets to achieve these demands.

{edited for privacy}

Update: I have rebooted it, called tech support and they did something called re-niche (sp?)...I'm not really sure what that means, but the support guy said is was like a "super reboot"

0 Likes
jeff52

I just spoke with a FIOS Tech (Melanie) at 888-553-1555.  She couldn't offer much in terms of retrieving a recorded program that wouldn't play but did make what might be a helpful preventive suggestion.  She said you could "flush the system" on the box by entering "4883" on the remote three times (i.e., "4883 OK", "4883 OK", 4883 OK").  Then reset the box.  She said this will clear out any corrupt data which could be present and a possible cause of this issue and (in theory, at least) elilminate or drastically reduce the chance of a recurrence of the "no playback" issue.  She assured me that doing this would have no ill effect on any recordings already present on the DVR.  Hope this might help, perhaps at least in a preventive sort of way.

0 Likes
GunnMstr

Same problem here with a Motorola 7216 - Boondock Saints, 6:30P on IFC (Ch. 894), 3/7.  Like other folks this has happened occasionally with other shows.   The freezing of the DVR and ON Demand screens is another annoying features.  Apparently, the FIOS software was written by engineers fired from Microsoft Vista.

0 Likes
goke313g

terrible coding going on in Verizon...tsk tsk

0 Likes
BadDVR

Release: 1.7.1
Build Number: 09.97
Data Object Version Number: 09.97
Platform ID: QIP-7216 P1

DVR is 70% full

The following program recorded but won't play:

Caprica: The Imperfections of Memory, Channel 680 | Syfy HD

Recorded 1 Hr on on Fri 3/12, 08:59 PM

Attempting to play the recorded program returns immediately to the current live program.

The DVR was set to record the series which it has been doing fine for a weeks.  I noticed in the recorded programs that the DVR recorded a bunch of episodes today that I had previously recorded, watched, and deleted - why is it recording old shows?  Other shows it recorded today that all play fine:

Caprica: There is Another Sky, Chanel 680 | Syfy HD

Recorded 1 Hr on Fri 3/12, 07:00 PM

Caprica: Gravedancing, Chanel 680 | Syfy HD

Recorded 59 Mins, 59 Secs on Fri 3/12, 06:00 PM

Caprica: Reins of a Waterfall, Chanel 680 | Syfy HD

Recorded 59 Mins, 59 Secs on Fri 3/12, 05:00 PM

Caprica: Rebirth, Chanel 680 | Syfy HD

Recorded 59 Mins, 59 Secs on Fri 3/12, 04:00 PM

There were no other programs scheduled for today.  Other series set to record (in priority order): Lost, Caprica, Flash Forward, Heroes, and V.  Looking in the series manager for next week it looks like the DVR is planning to record lots of episodes that had previously been recorded, watched, and deleted.

Personal expression of frustration: Thanks Verizon for recording shows I've already seen and not letting me watch the 1 show I really wanted.

0 Likes
t211flyer

Add me to the list.  I'm new to FIOS (installed 3/9), not new to DVR's.  This is upsetting, never had a problem with the DVR''s from the satellite company I just left.

Release: 1.7
Build Number: 09.83
Data Object Version Number: 09.83
Platform ID: QIP-7216 P1

DVR is 23% full

The following program recorded but won't play:

Caprica: The Imperfections of Memory, Channel 680 | Syfy HD

Recorded 1 Hr on on Fri 3/12, 08:59 PM

0 Likes
newtocable
Enthusiast - Level 2

Anyone viewing or posting on this blog about this problem call Verzion FIOS tech support. After 3 calls myself, they claim the problem does not exist. That they have never heard of it.

CALL!!!!! CALL !!!!!!!!!  CALL !!!!!!!!!

0 Likes
Kent
Enthusiast - Level 3
It just happened to me again -- this time with a movie I recorded via my computer through the website interface. It seemed to tape, but each time I tried to play it, there was a black screen for a few seconds and then I was returned to live TV. Impossible to acccess the movie. Surely Verizon has got to be aware of this, no? Yet another software update has come and gone without a fix.
0 Likes
Suzanne7777
Contributor - Level 1

Wow--I thought it this problem had been fixed.  Then:

Location -- Tampa

Dateline

Channel 508

April 5, 2010

2:30 am

59 minutes

It definitely is the HD STB. It  hasn't happened at all on the old 2716 I still have in the bedroom.

Someone had a theory that it only happens with shows recording after another show.  In this case, that is not true.  It said the recording was 59 minutes, and when I deleted it, the hard drive went from 78% to 73%.  So the "recording" is taking up space, and reporting stats like it recorded, but would not play--just reverted to live programming.

This sucks.

Could someone please let the developers know?  They seem to always be the last to find out according to Verizon tech support.

0 Likes
bimmerfios

I am having the same problem...verizon tech please help!

0 Likes
SnoopDC123
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had my old 6416 swapped out roughly 2 months ago in hopes of curing this problem and the new box seemed to be immune to the issue until last night. One of my wife's recorded shows will not play. Each time you hit "Play" the screen goes blank and the box goes back to live tv.

Location -- Newton, MA

The Martha Stewart Show

Channel 508

April 6, 2010

10:00 am

59 minutes

0 Likes
SnoopDC123
Enthusiast - Level 2

It happened once again. I've tried a new box. I"ve called Verizon and had them reboot my box. Nothing seems to work. It is interesting to note that it happened again to the same show at the same time.

Location -- Newton, MA

The Martha Stewart Show

Channel 508

May 13, 2010

10:00 am

59 minutes

0 Likes
SnoopDC123
Enthusiast - Level 2

FYI - Here the response I got from Verizon Direct:

"That issue happens for two reasons, one of which has always been there which is if the DVR records on a channel that is unavailable at the time when the recording takes place, or if the channel goes unavailable while the recording is in progress.
The other cause is related to LOD files that are converted to recorded files, and there is a fix for that coming in IMG 1.8.

The current work around to fix this is
1. On the stb: Bring up OSD (power off + select + select)
2. on remote hit: Replay, DVR, DVR, DVR, FiOS TV within 5 secs
3. LED will say CLr: hit OK and box will reboot

If you do this you will lose all the recordings and all the schedules, but it allows you to start fresh."

0 Likes
djcasemore

This has happened to me twice. Same show both times (The Big Bang Theory).

Shows up in My Recordings as being there.

Hit "Play" and it returns to live TV.

NO other shows were set to record during that time.

NOBODY was watching TV during that time.

NO other shows were set to record BEFORE or AFTER The Big Bang Theory.

The DVR just plain-out hates The Big Bang Theory.

But I LOVE it and I'm vexed that I've missed two episodes. Yes, it vexes me! I'm VERY VEXED!

So VERIZON, I just love that you ran fiber optic cabling to my house. The phone and Internet service is unreal. The HDTV picture quality is second-to-none. I've even managed to straighten out my long national nightmare of billing problems. But the DVR is a **bleep**. Please, new hardware/software/firmware/underwear, whatever it takes.

Oh, and a bigger hard drive. Compared to the satellite and coax competition, your DVRs capacity is laughable. I pay you over $260 EACH MONTH (phone/Internet/FiOS TV/cellular package). Must I shell out even more and change my DVR to a TiVo?

I bet those boys on The Big Bang Theory could hack your worthless DVR and make it really awesome. But they live in Imagination Land and I'm stuck in Malwareville.

0 Likes
drakefantastic

So after complaining about this issue with my 7216, Verizon finally sent me a replacement (a 6416...now I am in harmony with the OP!).  Two days after setting up the new box, it happened again.  The issue is clearly software/hardware (hoping software and that the 1.8 fixes things). But I pay good money for a service that doesn't work as advertised.  I cannot watch my shows whenever and in any room.  That makes me a sucker, and I don't like being a sucker.  I will now commence advertising all of the true negatives about this DVR to my students and friends.  In addition, I will be calling billing to demand a price reduction.  I would drop Verizon at this point, but no one else gives me fast internet in my area, and dropping the package drives up my price.

Info

HD STB 6416

Release: 1.7.1

Build Number  09.97

Problem: recorded show won't play, DVR reverts to live TV.

Shows that will not play:

Family Guy

May 23, FOX (ch. 511), 9:00 pm to 10:00 pm.

0 Likes