TV One mini wireless connection
Clevfan65
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ongoing issue with my TV screen locking or pixelating.  Verizon technical support has done standard reboots on the main One box and the One mini, etc. which does not solve the issue.  “Everything looks ok” from their end.

Here is my setup:

Main TV One box on first floor connected to coax.  Wireless router on 2nd floor with One Mini across the room (perhaps 20 feet away) connected wirelessly.  This setup was done by Verizon onsite.

There is no coax connection at the TV location or I would have connected the TV One mini to coax weeks ago...

Note I have had no issues with the 1st floor TV connected to the main TV One box and no issues with WiFi connections on laptops, phones or my wireless printer.  There is no extender installed.

After over 3 weeks of issues since installation, a Verizon tech person came to my house yesterday and replaced the TV One mini.  Everything was working great.  The TV screen was no longer freezing/pixelating and I was very happy.  

Today (afternoon) the problems started again.  Note to that the freezing/pixelating is sporadic - might not happen for hours and then will happen for hours thereafter.

I pointed out to the tech person that when issues begin, the “link quality” is poor as shown on the Menu/settings/system/FIOS tv one mini settings/WiFi status.  “Video source quality” remains good.

The tech person told me that there have been issues with the wireless TV one mini connections since it was introduced in 2018.

Has anyone had this issue and, if so, how did you fix it? 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Clevfan65
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is the current situation:

1.  After installing a new One mini via wireless, issue was not resolved

2.  Connected new One mini directly to the router via an Ethernet cable.  Issue was not resolved indicating that the router may be the issue.

3.  Installed new router (note my old router is identical to the new router but my old router is perhaps 2 years old).  The One mini auto connects to 5G channel.  This seems to have solved the problem!!

As a precaution, when I connected phones/smart TV’s/printer/laptop /tablet to this new router, I connected all of them to 2.4 GHz.  Only the One mini is connected to 5G (as far as I know).  Not sure if this has any impact but being non-tech guy it made sense to me.

While we do have some slight screen “pause” typically during the 10PM hour, the One mini has worked well for the past 2 days so keeping fingers crossed that the issue has been solved.

View solution in original post

68 Replies
ECOC

I had an extender and took it off. The mini that I have is connected to is on the same floor as the main box and less than 20 feet from the router. I tried to connect the mini without the coax cable because I ordered a third mini for my in-laws but I am definitely rethinking it. The mini when it is not attached to the coax and a few feet away from both the main and wifi router still has trouble connecting to the network! 

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

Have you tried going into the routers settings and changing the 5ghz channel to another? This has helped some people with interference issues. Also check for florescent lights near by, they can interfere with the signal too.

Clevfan65
Enthusiast - Level 3

I’m almost there too!  It is ridiculous to me that my One mini, which is situated on the same floor as the router and only 15-20 feet away, is having signal strength issues.  It seems there are inherent issues in the One mini that Verizon hasn’t fixed.

I think I’ll call Comcast in the morning to see what they have to offer

0 Likes
JoefromPhilly

+1 to having a -45 strength signal, and being only 14 feet from the extender box and having an absolutely TERRIBLE use "experience" on my mini. Worst device I have ever had. Freezes constantly on every router channel, with absolutely no solution from Verizon. If you have this problem,, don't waste your time trying to get an answer or a solution from them. I spent about 2 hours this evening with two techs trying to solve this. No fault on thier part; its just that this box is poorly designed, and no one can solve the problem.

0 Likes
MrKinNJ

Joe, I gave up with the wireless setup and ran coax to all my boxes. Everything works perfectly now. The wireless boxes didn't work with extenders 10 feet away from the boxes. Just not ready for prime time. 

0 Likes
Ech81

We have been having issues since we got these boxes. Which, by the way we were sold on because of the "wireless" aspect. Weve had technicians come out multiple times, waited on hold for help for hours, and made sure all our equipment works and even added extenders. Nothing has fixed the pixelating and pausing issues. Verizon I wish you could fix this or at least give us other options! 

0 Likes
Clevfan65
Enthusiast - Level 3

Definitely done with this FIOS TV One mini connected wirelessly.  It does not work as advertised!  It is absolutely horrible!

So I’ll run coax cable and hopefully it will work.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Clevfan65 wrote:

Definitely done with this FIOS TV One mini connected wirelessly.  It does not work as advertised!  It is absolutely horrible!

So I’ll run coax cable and hopefully it will work.

I’m sure it will be fine on coax. It sounds to me like the wifi issue is on Verizon end. Hopefully a future update will fix any wifi problems people are experiencing with the minis. Unfortunately when new products come out the consumer is the quality checker. There is no way every potential issue will be thought of in the lab. 

VZUser21

I have same wireless issues with mini pixelating and freezing.  Mini indicates WiFi signal strength is good.  Main box is connected to coaxial and sits 10 feet from mini in adjacent room and through a wall.  Very disappointed in product!  Especially since I had to retire my Orbi router and satellites as they too do not work with mini tv box.  So Verizon took full control and but out a poor product.

0 Likes
MrKinNJ

The only reason I went with this product was due to the wireless boxes. Running coax is going to be difficult given our setup. What really bothers me is that Netflix and Hulu and the VZ DVR all work fine wirelessly. It’s just live TV which is horrible. Unwatchable. Really surprising that VZ markets this product - does it work for anyone wirelessly?

0 Likes
stock323

gigabit router wifi to cell, ipad and laptops all good

a few short outages but rarely router needed reboot or RESET VIA reset button

BUT.... MINI FAILING TO CONNECT WITH ROUTER... ??? BUT LAPTOPS IPADS ETC ARE GETTING SIGNAL

a)  2-3 weeks it's ok, mini worked.. but had 1 or 2 '' wifi no connection '' problems. reboot router or mini temporarily solved the issue

b) reset of mini worked once or twice

c) after hours and many REBOOT AND/ OR RESET OF MINI AND ROUTER

SAME **bleep**

0 Likes
frustr8ted1

i only have wifi issues with my mini tv box  everything else works great on wifi

all my signals are good and 

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

Did you try going into the routers wireless settings and change the broadcast channels to manual, then use a different channel from the usual ch1 and ch5? Don't think you can change the hidden one for the mini, but this might clear some interference.

Clevfan65
Enthusiast - Level 3

Tech support supposedly changed it from channel 1 to channel 11 last week

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Clevfan65 wrote:

Channels 1 and 11 are on the 2.4 GHz band. The minis use 5 GHz, so changing those channels won’t help the minis. 

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Edg1 wrote:

@Clevfan65 wrote:

Channels 1 and 11 are on the 2.4 GHz band. The minis use 5 GHz, so changing those channels won’t help the minis. 

Would changing the channels on the 5ghz wireless settings possibly help?

Clevfan65
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is the current situation:

1.  After installing a new One mini via wireless, issue was not resolved

2.  Connected new One mini directly to the router via an Ethernet cable.  Issue was not resolved indicating that the router may be the issue.

3.  Installed new router (note my old router is identical to the new router but my old router is perhaps 2 years old).  The One mini auto connects to 5G channel.  This seems to have solved the problem!!

As a precaution, when I connected phones/smart TV’s/printer/laptop /tablet to this new router, I connected all of them to 2.4 GHz.  Only the One mini is connected to 5G (as far as I know).  Not sure if this has any impact but being non-tech guy it made sense to me.

While we do have some slight screen “pause” typically during the 10PM hour, the One mini has worked well for the past 2 days so keeping fingers crossed that the issue has been solved.

Shifty_O

What’s the range on this device? Would like to add one to my work shed?

0 Likes
Atahualpa1

Well , I'm kind of regretting switching my old boxes for these new versions,  even main one does not pick up my HD channel or right my mini one. Freezing all the time .  

0 Likes
binarymango

I know this is an old thread, but I figured I'd chime in with my experience in case it helps others. I, too, experienced lots of issues when using my TV One Mini over wifi. Pixellation, drops in video/audio, etc. Really bad experience despite it being right next to a Fire TV stick that works *flawlessly* over wifi, so if it's really a signal issue then those Fios TV One Mini boxes have terrible antenna designs. Anyway, my solution was to use a "wifi range extender" that you can buy on Amazon for ~$25. It comes with a single ethernet jack. Simply connect the TV One Mini box to the Wifi range extender via ethernet, and the video is now flawless.

0 Likes
frustr8ted1

what model did you buy?

0 Likes