Verizon Removing Channels From My Plan
Mechy1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I’m curious how this works....since you keep removing channels from my plan, and you’re not replacing them with anything comparable, can I get out of my contract? Or, can I move to the lower plan that still has the discovery channels that you removed from my plan? Lower plan =lower cost. 

48 Replies
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

Pkfrustrated

There us no contract... be careful now they charge you for using customer service ( any kind or way of contact to reduce or increase your services. 10.00 plus. taxes... A multi- million $ Co. And charge customers to offer us, bad customer service.        Yeap.... is real.  they charge you 10.00 to get sure , they get an extra month of whatever you are removing. If you are adding also, they never tell you " are getting charge for the change "

0 Likes
Pkfrustrated

This happened to me, I live in West Islip, New York.

0 Likes
jccj816

Overnight I went from having hundreds of channels to 50 without any notice. Cool cool cool. These packaging plans are awful for the consumer. This is exactly why they lobby so hard to get the right to do the same thing with our internet plans. Gotta get that stock price up again and again. Crazy. 

0 Likes
pxt1

Multiple channels pulled from FIOS lineup.  

Need to get bill adjusted accordingly.

Note: the channels pulled are still available on 'upper' costlier FIOS packages.

Customer Support can only offer more costly packages.

Need to speak with Verizon Customer Advocate Manager, or Verizon Consumer Account Relatiohship Manager.

Please advise.

Thank you.

0 Likes
jrzygrl

i am having a similar issue - i just signed up for a new (reduced) service after reviewing the published list of channels.  They made the switch and i got home to see that some of the channels that i was supposed to get were not available.  I double checked the list and, indeed, they were supposed to be included.  i am so completely disgusted...

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you try support options in stb menus?

Or contacting support?

Might just be an activation error

Sammy14221
Contributor - Level 1

Ultimate subscribers do not get any new channels when a channel is removed like the Sony Movie Network. All other packages get added networks at their respective tier except the Ultimate tier.  Also networks such as TCM, El REY and American Heroes should be in HD and not SD.

0 Likes
WelcometoWendys
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am cancelling everything and just getting internet when my plan is up. They took away the only channel my kid watches. I have Prime and watch youtube so that is enough for us. 

Funny thing is they have what, 5-6 spanish channels nobody watches? Get rid of those.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@WelcometoWendys wrote:

I am cancelling everything and just getting internet when my plan is up. They took away the only channel my kid watches. I have Prime and watch youtube so that is enough for us. 

Funny thing is they have what, 5-6 spanish channels nobody watches? Get rid of those.

I suspect, but don't know, that such channels have more viewers than you think.  Some of the foreign language channels are also sold in separate packages.  If you are referring to Spanish LOCAL channels, other rules may require them to be carried.

Verizon boxes let Verizon know what channels are actually watched.  They do make their decision largely based on popularity vs cost.  Note that some channels are sold to them in packages from channel providers.  This forces them to include some less popular channels if they want one of the more popular channels.

This doesn't mean that they haven't made some bad decisions which angered some subscribers enough to leave, and others to complain loud enough to give them bad publicity.

Friendly
Contributor - Level 2

I apologize the multiple postings of LOU ZAMPERINI OF THE book UNBROKEN, I was trying to do it with my CELL PHONE, never a good idea. SORRY FOLKS,

0 Likes
Friendly
Contributor - Level 2

When we renewed our CONTRACT with VERIZON we agreed to pay so much for so many channels. NOW WE LEARNED THE AMERICAN HERO CHANNEL WE PAY FOR AND AGREED TO ON OUR CONTRACT FOR RENEWEL IS GONE AND WE ARE SUPPOSE TO PAY AN ADDITIONAL CHARGE TO GET WHAT WE HAVE BEEN PAYING FOR. Are we going to get charged LESS FOR NOW RECEIVING LESS THEN WE AGREED TO ON OUR NEWAL? We have been long time faithful subscribers to VERIZON. Now as RETIRED SENIORS ON A FIXED INCOME Verizon is breaking our agreed to contract and wants us to pay even more for what we have been paying for since our renewal. We have VERIZON WIRELESS, INTERNET, TV, CELLPHONES AND LANDLINE PHONES and now you pentalize us instead of keeping our agreed upon contact, sad very sad. THIS IS HOW YOU TREAT LIFE TIME SUBSCRIBERS, SENIORS AND I AM A US VETERAN WHO ENJOYED THE AMERICAN HERO CHANNEL.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your contract does not guarantee a certain set of channels.

If you read the tos, you will see that Verizon (like other cable providers) have the right to add or remove channels from your package.

Because content contracts get renewed at different times, cable providers have to manage costs of channels as well as income from customers. Not to mention content contracts that can have clauses about what packages must carry their channel(s).

Missyme1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I feel like it's very shady to take away channels from a persons plan lineup and no longer be able to view them unless you upgrade to a much more expensive plan!!  It's one thing if the channel is gone completely, but to find out it's still there.....only if you upgrade, is really messed up!!😡

kingb1119
Enthusiast - Level 1

the 2channels on in my home most of the time are destination America and discovery family, mine and my 5year olds favorite channels i call to find out what happened they moved them to a more expensive package,  so messed up so now i can pay extra for channels i was already enjoying or downgrad and lose 150 channels... Verizon are snakes with the package plan system iwill be going back to Comcast which i should of never left with the sneaky Verizon 

Missyme1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I absolutely agree!!  I'm so mad!!  It's really messed up!!

I want my destination America back!!  Not for thirty something more a month though!!  VERY SHADY!!!

Friendly
Contributor - Level 2

I appreciate your answer, I don't think it is fair to any subscribers, and I don't like the answer. MORE THEN ANYTHING I AM GREATLY DISAPPOINTED WITH VERIZON. For years I have been sharing with all my family, friends

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

All providers pay the content providers by the number of subscribers that can receive a channel. And the content providers can also specify which packages the channel is to be placed.

It appears that Verizon just resigned a contract with Discovery. I am guessing that Discovery raised rates. So to compensate, Verizon moved lesser channels to higher packages to save money. Verizon has stated they measure viewership. So its possible that having these channels in the lower tiers no longer made economic sense.

I have to assume that other cable providers make similar choices. They may do it by raising rates and/or removing channels.

mononucleosis
Enthusiast - Level 1

I lost all of my History channels yesterday for no reason. Even Verizon couldn't figure it out until after I had been on the phone for almost an hour. It turns out that they wanted to extract more money from me. They took away my American Heroes channel on D-Day, and I am a retired veteran. But of course, they would give it back if I would agree to a higher priced package, and that is the only way. It seems my so-called Grandfatered package was not grandfathered any more.

Between Fios and Verizon Wireless, I spend over $3000.00 per year on their service, but that doesn't matter. All that counts is that they saw an opportunity to nickel and dime me, even though I am on a fixed income. All this over one channel. Does the greed never end?

"Greed is good!" ...Gordon Gekko,  Wall Street".

I am disgcusted. But since I live in Pittsburgh, I have an alternative (excuse me while I gag) Comcast.

kingb1119
Enthusiast - Level 1

they really are sneaky i had issues with them when they first brought fios to my area they finally converted me from Comcast.. they had people knocking on my door every day driving me insane until they redid the package plans to a more affordable system only to take away my and my 5 year old daughters favorite 2 channels when they moved them to a more expensive package out of the blue and i can pay more or downgrade while loosing 150 stations... they really are scum