Re: Watching DVR recordings on other devices
readingstarr23
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow. Thank you VERY MUCH. I think I'll def have to invest in one of those then 🙂

0 Likes
mjonis
Enthusiast - Level 2

@readingstarr23 wrote:

When will Verizon get whatever technology they need to allow its customers to be able to take their DVR recordings with then wherever they go and watch them on mobile devices??? As I understand it, DIRECTV, Xfinity, and DISH are the only ones currently offering this service. Is Verizon even making an effort to do this for us?!?!

Tivo has the ability as well.  I use my TivoHD Premier with Verizon FIOS.  But I have an Android device, so they don't support downloading just yet.  You can download to iOS and PC (PC uses Tivo Desktop).  You have to either buy the Tivo Stream device, or use a Roamio Tivo which has it built in.

But given that it took Verizon like 3 years to add BBC America HD, I don't see them doing this any time soon.

0 Likes
mjonis
Enthusiast - Level 2

@readingstarr23 wrote:

Wow. Thank you VERY MUCH. I think I'll def have to invest in one of those then 🙂

Unless Sling changed things, they do not allow downloading.  It's Live/streaming only.  I thought your one requirement was to download and watch later.  Streaming requires an active internet connection (ie, you will be not be using this on a train/plane).

And it requires a rather good internet (Possibly 4G LTE) for decent quality.  3G probably won't suffice.

I believe it also requires that you "take control" of the DVR you're hooking the Sling up to (ie, if you want to watch NBC, then the person sitting at home must also watch NBC).  But that may have changed.

Not bashing Sling, I believe Dish licensed the technology (or was it DirecTV), so the tech is good. 

--Kevin

ansky201
Contributor - Level 1

@mjonis wrote:

@readingstarr23 wrote:

Unless Sling changed things, they do not allow downloading.  It's Live/streaming only.  I thought your one requirement was to download and watch later.  Streaming requires an active internet connection (ie, you will be not be using this on a train/plane).

And it requires a rather good internet (Possibly 4G LTE) for decent quality.  3G probably won't suffice.

I believe it also requires that you "take control" of the DVR you're hooking the Sling up to (ie, if you want to watch NBC, then the person sitting at home must also watch NBC).  But that may have changed.

Not bashing Sling, I believe Dish licensed the technology (or was it DirecTV), so the tech is good. 

--Kevin

You are correct.  The Slingbox can only stream from your DVR, there is no way to download content to your mobile device.  And yes, it does require you to take control of the DVR, so you can't have someone else at home watching different programming from the same DVR.  I have my Sling connected to a second cable box in my basement so it's not really an issue for me.  The picture quality is excellent over 4G (I can get HD quality).  I never tried it on a 3G connection, but you can change between HD, SD, and audio-only depending on the quality of the connection.  But I will say, it eats through data pretty quickly, so you'll want to be connected via Wifi whenever possible.