Dead trees on Verizon Lines
mgs2

Hello:

Is there a number I can call to report dead trees that are hanging over lines that Verizon owns?   They've been dead for a while and are falling apart.  I'm not sure they'll make it through the Spring without falling and crushing the lines.  

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Dead trees on Verizon Lines
Hubrisnxs
Legend

http://www.ehow.com/list_7581422_dead-trees-property-lines.html

to the best of my awareness Verizon doesn't remove dead tree's or tree trimming even when it is near their lines.   they will repair and address the lines with good access to them.  If there is good access to them, then open a chat below by clickon verizon's contact us link, or call them at 1-800 VERIZON and head towards repair.   The above link gives some ideas on how that is addressed normally.

0 Likes
Re: Dead trees on Verizon Lines
ed765
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just tried to report a situation where a large branch was pressing against the telephone lines serving a large number of homes in a neighborhood (Greenacres)at the corner of River and Ventnor. Tree motion in a storm could gradually wear the insulation away. After the usual problems reaching anyone in Verizon, I did get a statement of Verizon policy from someone named Victor, which is to do nothing with trees. If they come down and interrupt service it will be fixed, but not till then.

This does seem to conflict with them having a notice about hazardous conditions, but the policy may be that they deal with life threatening problems, but not merely with ones that affect the reliability of service.

Knowing this policy does mean that one should not expect highly reliable service. Trees tend to come down in storms in large numbers, and in such times it will clearly be a while before a crew can come to fix problems.

Victor did point out there ere private3 tree companies who did trimming so one who was concerned about the reliability of their phone service (say being able to call for help in an emergency), can have the problems corrected at their own expense.

Verizon could improve the reliability of service by working jointly with the local electric company to maintain wires. Yesterday, Pepco had a contract crew working in the area and actually did some trimming on the tree in question. I talked to the foreman about the obvious problem and he said the line in question was a telephone line and dealing with the problem was up to the telephone company.

It was obvious that one cut with a power saw by a worker already in a cherry picker working on that tree could have protected the telephone (and often internet and TV also) service to several hundred customers, and the cost would have been low.

0 Likes