Message About IE Version
Holly1
Contributor - Level 3
I'm now getting this message at the top of this Community Forum: We no longer support Internet Explorer v9 and older. Upgrade to a newer version or use a different browser. However, the version of IE on my computer is IE11, not IE 9. What 's up with this message. It doesn't appear on my other Windows 10 browser Microsoft Edge or on Google Chrome. Holly
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Message About IE Version
Holly1
Contributor - Level 3

Forget everything I just posted in my last message as I need to apologize to Verizon as the outdated browser message was a Microsoft problem. The easiest way to explain is to read what I posted on the Microsoft Forum:

Actually I've been blaming Verizon because I just started having this problem and Verizon has updated a page of theirs so I assumed it was a Verizon problem. However I just discovered from reading an old Microsoft message on this Microsoft forum that the problem is solved by unchecking Use Microsoft compatibility lists. The only reason I can think this just started happening is because last weekend I got the new Windows 10 Anniversary Update as I never made any changes in the Compatibility View Settings.

Holly

View solution in original post

Holly1
Contributor - Level 3

I just posted on the Microsoft Forum the question as to why they think Verizon does not recognize that I do have an IE 11 browser on Windows 10.

Holly

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Make sure you don't have compatibility turned on.  When IE11 first came out Verizon pages didn't complain but didn't work unless you turned on compatibility mode.  They did eventually fix this.

Holly1
Contributor - Level 3

No don't have compatibility turned on. 

Holly

0 Likes
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

What OS is on the machine that's acting up? Just to double check, if you hit F12 to open the developer tools, what Document Mode do you see? It should say 11. (See the image.)

Also, let's double check we both have the same version:

Holly1
Contributor - Level 3
I have Windows 10 and I don't have any F12 key on my keyboard .If I press fn plus esc to get the System Information screen it says ML next to OS, if that will help you. Also my computer is fairly new (bought this last April). It is Windows 10 Home 64 bit. I believe I did have F keys on my old computer keyboards. I don't believe it is my computer acting up as I now think I know what the problem may be and have notified by private message a Verizon Forum admins.so he or she can pass this on to the Verizon techs. I also am getting a blank email page on the IE 11 browser so I figure that the techs are not recognizing my IE 11 browser and think it is IE 9, which is now outdated and is not even a part of Windows 10. I googled this problem and got the response from several sites that some websites are not recognizing IE 11 as they have the wrong "strings", whatever that means. Nine of these problem occurred with this computer until they started working on the new My Verizon page. My Edge browser and Google Chrome browsers are fine. So IE 11 was recognized by the Verizon website until they started changing the My Verizon page. However, another problem I have notified them about is that the only one of my 3 browsers that stays signed in for 2 weeks is Google Chrome and again all 3 stayed signed in for 2 weeks before the work on the new My Verizon page. Also Gmail and AOL mail work fine. What led me to the above conclusion is I remember seeing the message about an outdated browser when using the IE 11 browser on Yahoo mail. However, I didn't pay much attention to that as I don't really go to that site much anymore. Actually I like and use the Google Chrome browser the best and did use it the most before these problems occurred but I think all my browsers should work on Verizon. If the problems keep on occurring I will probably switch all my email to GMail. I don't like doing that because all my contacts that use my Verizon email address would have to be notified. Holly PS: Others are now on the email forum are getting blank email pages, so I figure they probably are using the IE 11 browser.
0 Likes
Holly1
Contributor - Level 3

Forget everything I just posted in my last message as I need to apologize to Verizon as the outdated browser message was a Microsoft problem. The easiest way to explain is to read what I posted on the Microsoft Forum:

Actually I've been blaming Verizon because I just started having this problem and Verizon has updated a page of theirs so I assumed it was a Verizon problem. However I just discovered from reading an old Microsoft message on this Microsoft forum that the problem is solved by unchecking Use Microsoft compatibility lists. The only reason I can think this just started happening is because last weekend I got the new Windows 10 Anniversary Update as I never made any changes in the Compatibility View Settings.

Holly