Sequence of events in chronological order:
1. From 08/2011 - 07/2014 I had Verizon FIOS at my previous residential address, all bills were paid on time and there was no outstanding balance against my account
2. Due to change of residential address from 08/01/2014 I had to switch from Verizon FIOS to Verizon High-Speed Internet (since Fios was not available at the apartment complex to where I was shifting) . I closed out the FIOS account, shipped the Modem+Router+cables in the box they had sent and received a confirmation email that indeed my account had been terminated. Thereafter I have been making timely payments to the Verizon HSI account via auto-payment. There's no outstanding balance in this account.
3. For the period between 08/01/2015 till current date I have received NO EMAIL or PAPER MAIL from VERIZON claiming any outstanding charge.
4. On March 2015 I received a paper-mail from a collection agency(!!) that I have an outstanding balance of $84 against my name where the creditor is VERIZON. There is NO ADDITIONAL INFORMATION GIVEN REGARDING WHAT THIS CHARGE IS ABOUT.
5. I quickly checked my Verizon HSI online account expecting that particular charge to show up but there was nothing! since I was only transferring from one type of internet service to another (FIOS to HSI) I expected any charges to be posted on the same account but there was nothing.
Long story short I checked my FICO score yesterday and was extremely surprised to see that it had tanked >100 points !! just due to this one outstanding account. My request to Verizon is:
- Please help me find out what that charge is against if at all its genuine
- If Verizon is indeed the original creditor why wasnt I informed via email when I have received emails for a million different things all this while (be it a bill posted for my internet/wireless account, successful payment of a bill, and other sundry events)
I really want resolution of this issue at the earliest possible, it has made a significant dent on my credit report due to no fault of mine. Ideally I would like this event to be removed from my credit report since I have a very clean credit history otherwise.
Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.
Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.
Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions.
To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".
Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.