Verizon Online Backup and Sharing usage information very confusing
Carneno
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I can't figure out why the usage counts for my Verizon Online Backup and Sharing is reporting inconsistent numbers for space used.

I have a desktop standalone pc and a laptop with these numbers for space used on the hard drives:

Tony-pc                       C:\Users\Tony\Documents      5.25GB (5,644,836,864 bytes)

C:\Users\Tony\Music              4.00 KB (4,096 bytes)

C:\UsersTony\Pictures            5.86 MB (6,152,192 bytes)

C:\Users\Tony\Videos             68.0 KB (69,632 bytes)

Verizon Online Backup and Sharing for PC shows 133.81GB/150.00GB

LakesideMobile           C:\Users\Tony\Documents      11.2 GB (12,097,146,880 bytes)

C:\Users\Tony\Music               0 bytes

C:\UsersTony\Pictures            388 MB (407,662,592 bytes

C:\Users\Tony\Videos             0 bytes

Verizon Online Backup and Sharing for PC shows 143.89GB/150.00GB

As you can see, even if you total up all the drive sizes for the folders being backed up, you won't even get 17GB

The Verizon Online Backup and Sharing Launch Web App shows 134GB/150GB

Can anybody explain why the Verizon bzckup information shows 134GB being used when I know it is not true?

Thanks,

Tony

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Online Backup and Sharing usage information very confusing
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Often these backup utilities are keeping multiple generations of files backed up.  And do a poor job purging old copies. 

Remember you are talking to peers here not Verizon.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Online Backup and Sharing usage information very confusing
Carneno
Enthusiast - Level 2

In case people are looking for an answer to this:

This happened because I changed my selection of folders and files to be backed up to the standard Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos folders.  I previously had it set for additional folders and files that were not in any of those standard folders and those previously selected folders were never deleted after I changed my selection.

So, the total space useage included those previously backed up files and folders because they were never deleted.

I hope this helps someone.

Tony

0 Likes