Does a 5g sim exist
Rearnold864
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently ported over my Pixel 5 and my wife's older Samsung from AT&T. Originally I was going to do it online and saw that I was going to be shipped a 5g sim and a regular 4 in 1. I changed my mind and went to a corporate store instead to have the phones ported. The salesman put the same LTE sim In both phones and when I noticed this I asked him about the 5g sim. He told me there was no 5g sim and it didn't matter anyway because I wouldn't have 5g on prepaid until sometimes in 2021. He then called his manager over and confirmed this. So, do I need a 5g sim for the Pixel or not and does such a thing even exist. When I look on the wevb site they show 5g for prepaid so was I being lied to about 5g sims since they lied about 5g on prepaid. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does a 5g sim exist
JakeTate
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just went thru something similar. My understating is 5G is included with the prepaid plans but 5G UWB is not but will in the future. I can confirm with the LTE SIM in my iPhone Pro Max that it does work with 5G just not 5G UWB yet.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
JakeTate
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just went thru something similar. My understating is 5G is included with the prepaid plans but 5G UWB is not but will in the future. I can confirm with the LTE SIM in my iPhone Pro Max that it does work with 5G just not 5G UWB yet.

0 Likes
Rearnold864
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks, after I thought on it a bit, I figured that may be it. There's no uw really close to me and to be honest, it's not high on my list of must haves. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to have the right expectations, Rearnold864. Not all 5G devices require a 5G SIM. If a 5G SIM is required, the device manufacturer pre-installs it in the device. As for the network, 5G Ultra Wideband is not yet available on Prepaid. However, 5G Nationwide is already included and a 5G SIM is not required to receive the 5G network. Does this make sense? 

BrittanyC_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is definitely a good way to see it. I personally am waiting until the 5G Ultra Wideband has expanded a bit more, so I can get the full 5G experience. 

AlfredoR_VZW

0 Likes
JakeTate
Enthusiast - Level 1

So I dug into this a little more even tho I put a 4G LTE SIM in my iPhone 12 Pro Max and was able to connect to 5G. I found this at the SIM Card FAQ's on Verizon's site. According to this it will work with UWB which wasn't in my area just 5G. So I'm not sure what to believe. Can someone clear this up?

If SIM is activated asAnd inserted in this deviceThen
3G4G LTE or 5GThese devices are not compatible with a 3G SIM
4G LTE5GDevice connects to the 5G Ultra Wideband network, but may not connect to the future enhanced 5G network
0 Likes
Rearnold864
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes it's clear, but when you're told in a corporate store that NO 5g was available for prepaid phones until 2021 then you start to wonder. Thanks

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, the chart provided confirms whether you can move a SIM from one device to another. This means that if you have a 4G LTE SIM card and insert it into a 5G device, the 5G Nationwide service will work, however, 5G UWB will not (a 5G SIM is required). It appears to be a mistake on the FAQ chart. We will alert our team to update those details (Change the Ultra Wideband portion to Nationwide).

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Realnorld864, Sure thing! I am sorry for the confusion at the store, but glad that we could clarify. Did you have any other questions in the meantime? 

AkaneM_VZW

0 Likes