Does hd voice have to be activated to use Wi-Fi calling on pixel?
Anonymous2022

Hi!  Does hd voice have to be activated to use Wi-Fi calling on google pixel 5?

According to this article: https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-235206/

that seems to be the case…it says..

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Does hd voice have to be activated to use Wi-Fi calling on pixel?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, Anonymous2022 and yes HD Voice needs to be activated to use Wi-Fi Calling. Is your Google Pixel 5 from Verizon or unlocked?

- Alan

0 Likes
Anonymous2022

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your reply!

I originally got my google pixel 5 from google fi and I was a google fi user…I switched to Verizon a few days ago but using the same google pixel 5…

what should I do?  I can’t activate hd voice…the thing is I think I have been using Wi-Fi calling successfully…I put my phone in airplane mode and I turn on Wi-Fi and I successfully made a call…it even said Wi-Fi calling when I looked at the call details…

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Anonymous2022, thanks for the clarification and only Verizon branded phones will support Wi-Fi Calling or certain unlocked models. If your device doesn't support HD Voice or the same technology this is why Wi-Fi Calling can't be activated. Thank you.

- Alan

0 Likes
Anonymous2022

Hi Alan,

thanks again for the reply!  I can turn on Wi-Fi calling but I can’t turn on hd voice…the thing is I think I have been using Wi-Fi calling successfully…i put my phone to airplane mode and turn on Wi-Fi and I make a call and it even says Wi-Fi calling on the call details…does this mean Wi-Fi calling is working for me?  So no need to turn on hd voice?

thanks again for your help!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Anonymous2022, yes that is correct. Based on the details you provided Wi-Fi Calling is working for you. 

-Tionna

0 Likes
Anonymous2022

ok I'm just going to restate my situation to make sure my questions are covered. I recently joined verizon with my dad. we both are coming from google fi. where we live we don't get good verizon cell reception so I have to turn on wifi calling. both my dad and I have the google pixel 5. I read on one of the verizon support articles that hd voice has to be activated in order to activate wi fi calling. I tried activating hd voice on my google pixel 5 but was not able to find the option to do so. However I also activated wi fi calling and wifi calling seems to be working but I'm not sure.

my question is do I have to activate hd voice in order to use wifi calling? does verizon have to give my dad and my verizon accounts access to hd voice first by doing something on verizon support's end? if wifi calling seems to be working am I in the clear? how can I tell if wifi calling is working? thanks for your help!!!

p.s. my mom has an iphone 12 pro max. she has been with verizon for awhile and she was with my sister's verizon account. recently we switched her over to my dad and my verizon account. we turned on wifi calling in the past awhile ago for my mom's iphone when she was with my sister's verizon. do we have to do it again because my mom switched to my dad and my verizon account? also do we have to turn on hd voice for my mom's iphone in order for wifi calling to work?

thanks for your quick replies and help!! I really appreciate your time and effort. thanks!! have a great day!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the information! Our newer smartphone models already come provisioned with HD Calling and are defaulted to use this feature. If you were able to test the phone when on airplane mode, while connected to Wi-Fi, then we know that Wi-Fi Calling is working for you.  In the event that the HD Calling feature is off in settings for Pixel phones, then you would just want to navigate to Settings > Network & internet > SIMs, and tap the Advanced Calling switch, to make sure it is turned on.  The same goes for the new iPhone 12 series, HD Calling or VoLTE would already be set from factory default settings.  You would just want to navigate to Settings > Phone > Wi-Fi Calling to enable it.  Thank you.

~Louis

0 Likes
Anonymous2022

I tried going to settings to see if I can turn off or turn on hd voice on my google pixel 5 but there is no option for me to do so…does Verizon have to do something on there end so my dad and I can see the option to turn off or turn on hd voice on our google pixel 5?

thanks again for your help! Much appreciated!

also my dad and I bought our google pixel 5 devices last year through google fi…we didn’t buy it through Verizon…

have a great day!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

As a valued customer, your concerns are our concerns too. The Google Pixel 5 is an extraordinary Smartphone. 

Ensuring that the HD Voice and free Wi-Fi Calling features have been enabled to your device is very important and will help with your calling experience. We'd be more than glad to assist you. 

Verizon takes protecting our customer’s personal and account information very seriously. Since we will need account-specific details from you, we’ve sent you  a Private Message on this topic:

https://community.http://spr.ly/6607M1u1B

-Robert C.

0 Likes