Does the Pixel have GPS issues?
Shadowmare
Enthusiast - Level 1

I frequently use my phone for directions while driving.  Most of the time I use Waze, but will use Google Maps at times also.  I have noticed that the Pixel does not locate well using the GPS (not sure I am saying that correctly), using either program.

Here's an example to try and elaborate. 

Driving on the freeway, as I passed exit ramps the Pixel would frequently think I was on the ramp instead of continuing straight on the freeway.  It would then recalculate for that, only 10 - 15 seconds later it would recal again because I was still on the freeway.

This also happened driving on streets where there was a subtle turn and split instead of a normal left or right turn at an intersection.

I have restarted the phone, tried using Device only and High accuracy for the location mode, I have not tried battery saving mode.  I normally leave it on high accuracy.

Anyone else seeing these problems?  What am I missing?  I did not have this issue on my Droid that I upgraded from.

This is on the 32 GB Pixel, not the XL.

Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does the Pixel have GPS issues?
Shadowmare
Enthusiast - Level 1

Waze rolled out an update which seems to have resolved this issue.

Since the update I have not seen this problem anymore.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

I've used maps 3 times and had no issues.  I have the xl and set to high accuracy.

underoath218
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same here.  I've used it a few times since I got it last Thursday, October 20th and no issues at all.  It has actually worked very smoothly and accurately, even on roads that have a lot of odd turns and confusing intersections.  I used Google Maps only, so I can't speak to Waze's abilities on the Pixel XL.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Didn't have any issues while testing out my Pixel (I only used it for a week before switching back to my iPhone 6s Plus. Nothing was wrong with it...I just knew I had no real plans to keep using the Pixel). I also had it set to High Accuracy so perhaps that helped.

0 Likes
mcarroll41

I have noticed the exact same thing with my xl.  I have used waze on a few different occasions and had to eventually turn it off after getting annoyed with the constant recalculating.

0 Likes
Shadowmare
Enthusiast - Level 1

Waze rolled out an update which seems to have resolved this issue.

Since the update I have not seen this problem anymore.

0 Likes