Enable OEM Unlocking Pixel 3XL
flanhelsinki
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am an android developer and always load the developer preview of Android OS onto my older devices to participate in their bug reporting programs and also to test out new features myself that our company would have interest in. To flash the Android 11 to my Pixel 3XL, I need to enable OEM unlocking, which is unfortunately greyed out. Im guessing that verizon, for reasons that I cannot comprehend since I bought the phone, paid in full, and used it on the verizon network for 2 years, has locked it. Please refer me to the correct steps to unlock this option.

Labels (1)
Re: Enable OEM Unlocking Pixel 3XL
rowanham
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm running Android 10 on a Pixel 3 (as well as several Soyes XS phones). The Pixel 3 has this issue, not the Soyes phones. But I need this to work as I am doing consulting work developing system code for a startup that is using an Android platform for their product. This is blocking me from working.

0 Likes
_UNDER_

I have been on Android 11 developer preview since day 1 on my pixel 3xl Verizon locked phone I used the adb sideload option on Google's site you might have to side load the first preview and update to the newest .. My issue is I can't go back to official with any option until the beta release and it's now pushed back 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

_UNDER_, we want to make sure that we do everything we can to help. Were you having any issues with your current software? Was there a reason you wanted to return to the official software?

LauraF_VZW

0 Likes
LANADA50
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is a major issue for Pixel owners because Google says the carriers MUST unlock the bootloaders to allow proper use

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure that wet set the correct expectations. We do not unlock the bootloader on our devices. Are you having trouble with the service or using the device?

Rogelio_VZW

0 Likes
Nickoakz
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm frustrated that Verizon has yet offered us, the customers with their products, to decide what we want to do with our paid in full devices.

I moved from a Samsung s7 edge because the performance was getting worse and worse and Samsung and Verizon apparently worked together to ensure the bootloader was locked to only allow Verizon or Unlocked Original Firmware. That phone has been now stuck on security updates since April 12th 2020 and on Android 7 while custom firmware from an open source provider is able to help the phone update to Android 10 with security updates to Feburary 22nd 2021.

My phone has security updates on both old and new that I feel is urgent to keep my digital life safe and secure from the many hours, apps, and things I do on my phone. If it's not up to date on security updates, I fear that my device could slip into some unpatched security flaw to slip malware discreetly into my phone unknowingly.

I moved from Samsung to Google with the thought and the responses inside the Verizon store that the Google Pixel is UNLOCKED and fully able to do whatever I want.

This is NOT the case.

The device would work with other carriers and Google is soon to expect end of life for software updates in 2022-2024 for the Google Pixel 3-3a-3a xl line of devices. Verizon refuses to acknowledge or understand that it should be up to the users preference if they want to unlock the bootloader on their devices, to load open source software that can be more up to date on security updates and running on the latest Android version.

If Verizon refuses to acknowledge or put forth any effort into resolving this issue, my next device will have to be bought from Google Store themselves as Verizon has no intention to help keep devices out of the landfill and instead 'degrade device security' with 'intentional purpose of obsolescent' to users devices.

I don't care if I would have to open a Verizon website, type in my IMEI, and type some long code to verify a bootloader unlock through fastboot. Google did that with their XT1031, where I grab a long key from fastboot, put into a website, website gives a fastboot code, it's ACTUALLY unlocked and that phone to this day is still Android 9 with Security Updates since January 2021. Compared to being on Android 5 or 6 with who knows what for security updates.

If Verizon won't put effort, I'll no longer bother with buying a device from Verizon when every device in their store is just a developer nightmare anyway. I'll just stick with Verizon as a 'carrier only' and work forward pushing for the right to repair.

Nickoakz
Enthusiast - Level 3

To add on to this post. My mothers phone has been having sporadic issues with receiving calls on her Samsung S6 to the point that she just doesn't like her phone at all. Sometimes the Tile app won't ring her phone when she keeps clicking her tile. Sometimes a call just goes through voicemail. Sometimes a text message takes a day to send. etc etc, all awhile sitting in the Verizon store.

It's the second time I've had to 'factory reset' the phone for it to show any sign of life. A Verizon employee had to sit the entire way, checking call forwarding, checking the hiya call blocker, calling the number for one dial tone and right to voicemail, checking call logs to no call at all. I had to setup call forwarding when busy to a Google Voice Voicemail box because even trying to check Voicemails may take time.

Everything related to do with texting or calling on the Samsung S6 was just a bad experience.

But data works 100% fine. She'll get a Google Voice alert that she has a new voicemail.... But she won't see in her call logs that she was just called nor will her phone ring.

I had to spend two hours on bank support because the text message code for having her login online to her bank wasn't being received on her phone. I had to plug her SIM card into a different phone.

Oh. I would like to maybe ROOT the phone and find out what's wrong with it. I can't.

Could I maybe install open source software that's running Android 9 or 10 instead of the 'latest update being Android 7 and last security update long ago'? I can't.

If it's Verizon... get a new phone simply because I can't. 😞

If that doesn't say planned obsolescence, what does.

KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes