Getting voice mail and with receiving an incoming call.
crimewatcher
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have received several voice mail messages and no incoming calls. How can I stop callers from leaving voice mail without calling my phone? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Getting voice mail and with receiving an incoming call.
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@crimewatcher wrote:

Have received several voice mail messages and no incoming calls. How can I stop callers from leaving voice mail without calling my phone? 

Is it possible the calls are from numbers you have blocked on your phone? If so, this is the standard behavior. 

The only way to block the number and prevent them from leaving a voicemail is to utilize the Block options available in your MyVerizon account online for postpaid accounts. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

crimewatcher, we want to help as much as possible. This is odd to receive a voicemail from someone that you don't show a missed call from. About how long has this been happening? Do you notice that this happens when you're only in a certain location? Are the voicemails from unwanted calls or from your contact list? AliciaD_VZW

0 Likes
crimewatcher
Enthusiast - Level 2

The calls are most likely "spoofed" robocalls. I don't answer calls from unrecognized numbers. I am aware of the number blocking feature on Verizon's web site. This feature is almost useless because these scammers rarely call using the same caller ID number more than once. None of these calls are on my contact list. Very strange that my phone doesn't ring but they manage to leave voice mail.

I only have one or two numbers blocked using Verizon's online blocking tool. This works but Verizon needs to stop unidentified callers from being able to leave voice mail when the phone doesn't ring first. I've noticed when I decline a call, the caller may still leave voice mail. Apparently, decline doesn't mean hang up. I am aware that when my phone is off, the calls do go to voicemail.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Google Pixel also has a spam filter in the dialer application. It will keep the phone from ringing if the program suspects the call is spam. Unfortunately, it doesn't prevent that same caller from leaving a voicemail. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

crimewatcher
Enthusiast - Level 2

Everyone is fed up with all the robocalls and hopefully the new law will put a stop to most if not all of them. Finally the FTC has more authority to go after these scammers and with the STIR/SHAKEN protocol being tested, their days are numbered. Obviously the Do Not Call list is a joke and Nomorobo and other spam prevention tools need to be greatly improved. I use a "disposable" number can call some of these numbers and most of them are out of service numbers. This is a MAJOR problem!  Don't know if the carriers are working this problem but carriers should automatically reject caller ID's from numbers that aren't in service. Admittedly this would be a logistical nightmare to implement 😉

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Crimewatcher, being able to stop all of the spam calls and spoofed calls would be true perfection. We are always striving for this to happen. It is like Ann154 mentioned, currently, there isn't any application that can prevent that same caller from leaving a voicemail or to catch all of the recyclable numbers.

I hope this provides some clarity on an ongoing situation that we are working the best we can to get a handle on this matter.

VeronicaM_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am a smartphone user as well, and know exactly where you are coming from, crimewatcher. There are many important calls that must reach you, and we would never want to block one of these calls for it being potentially a spam call. We are always working on improviding your service experince, and we thank you for your understanding.  DavidR_VZW

0 Likes