Google Pixel 2 XL (not so)water-resistant
HMM2102

Hi, I purchased the Pixel 2 XL through Verizon less than a month ago, because of its great reviews about its picture quality and its water-resistant feature complying with the IP-67 standard.  During my kids' winter recess, I decided to test out the feature, by taking some pictures, just as my husband successfully did when he first got his Samsung S8 Plus. I placed the phone less than a foot under the water (which is about 2 feet less than 1 meter specified for the IP-67 ratings) and snapped a few pictures.  Pictures came out great. And then a few minutes later, my screen started blinking, and I couldn't operate the phone anymore.

I read through the warranty and I understand the warranty does not cover "water damage", but it also states the phone "will be free from defects in materials and workmanship". My case has more to do with the defects and the manufacturer claim of "Pixel 2 XL has a water protection rating of IP67 under IEC standard 60529.". When I went to a Verizon retail store to resolve this issue, the representatives asked me to just directly file a claim since I have the insurance/protection plan for the phone.  Although I agree that may be the easiest way out of this issue, I think it shouldn't cost me more money, let alone the time and effort it took to try to find an answer to this, just to get a new phone that should perform as its specification claims.  All I got from the representatives was that it is a "water damage" and therefore not covered by the warranty.  But they failed to address the fact that the device didn't perform as its claim states, and that if the device were not defective, there shouldn't have been any water damage, given I tested out the device, well within the IP-67 guidelines.

I hope Verizon will resolve this issue very soon, and avoid creating a hassle for a customer just to get a phone that works as it claims. 

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Google Pixel 2 XL (not so)water-resistant
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

HMM2102 The Google Pixel 2 XL is an amazing phone with great features. I’m sorry to hear about the problems you’re experiencing. The Google Pixel 2 it’s not a waterproof device. The Google Pixel 2 is water resistant which means that can resist water but not entirely.
I would highly recommend contacting the manufacturer directly to explore your options. The warranty replacement does not cover water damaged device. Please visit Google Help Center page http://bit.ly/2AkbaWo for additional information.
EvelynR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport if my response answered your question please click the “Correct Answer” button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this.

0 Likes