Re: How do I force wifi preferred for wifi calling?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We truly value you as part of the Verizon family and would never want to see you go, rrstephens1988. It's important you're able to get the best possible signal where you need it most. If your home is the only area where you have trouble with service, this may be an issue due to indoor coverage. There are many factors that are out of our control that can cause signal interference. This can be caused by the foundation of the building, foliage, line of sight with the tower and congestion. We would recommend reaching out to our Prepaid Team directly to further troubleshoot your home area. They can be reached directly at 888-294-6804. I'm confident they will be able to further assist.  

DanielleR_VZW

0 Likes
achrmn
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the same issue. I have terrible reception in my apartment and can't have a conversation over the phone. The phone will not let me do wifi calling since it thinks I'm covered, but phone calls drop after 10 seconds. Nothing works, and verizon is trying to force us not to use wifi calling for some reason.

I'm thinking of changing providers. I can't have a cell service where I can't call from my own home.

jcoffey1313
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issue here up in New Hampshire where Verizon service is often spotty. The arrogance of Verizon is sickening. Just another example of this oligopoly in the USA. Cellular companies or airlines- who treats their customers the worst?

bbdraft
Enthusiast - Level 3

Google Hangouts was disabled by Google as of March 2019 so using that for wifi calling no longer is an option.
I have same issue as you all. I've been a VZW customer for almost 20 yrs but I'm ready to leave. After 2 one-hour chats with no resolution & VZW giving me (and they said the whole neighborhood) the same line that . . . there is a river nearby & trees around your house that that may be affecting your coverage so we won't send a team out to investigate. Coverage since 2000 to 2019 has been both wonderful & horrible intermittently for a month or months & now apparently permanently horrible. The river has always been there, I have fewer trees around my house now than before, my property is all open horse pastures & my elevation higher than most of the sea level SE Virginia. If I can't get reliable service for phone calls (dropped or don't even ring) or texts (now posting/receiving up to 12 hrs late) then why should I continue paying VZW for a service they cannot reliably provide??? I would love to stay with VZW but I will find another carrier or mode of making wifi calls & as soon as I do, I'm done with VZW. I have to admit that I am offended by their customer service insolence that is disguised by polite jargon. NO ONE likes to be manipulated. We are not ignorant, uneducated nor uninformed

boringusername
Master - Level 1

@bbdraft wrote:

Google Hangouts was disabled by Google as of March 2019 so using that for wifi calling no longer is an option.
I have same issue as you all. I've been a VZW customer for almost 20 yrs but I'm ready to leave. After 2 one-hour chats with no resolution & VZW giving me (and they said the whole neighborhood) the same line that . . . there is a river nearby & trees around your house that that may be affecting your coverage so we won't send a team out to investigate. Coverage since 2000 to 2019 has been both wonderful & horrible intermittently for a month or months & now apparently permanently horrible. The river has always been there, I have fewer trees around my house now than before, my property is all open horse pastures & my elevation higher than most of the sea level SE Virginia. If I can't get reliable service for phone calls (dropped or don't even ring) or texts (now posting/receiving up to 12 hrs late) then why should I continue paying VZW for a service they cannot reliably provide??? I would love to stay with VZW but I will find another carrier or mode of making wifi calls & as soon as I do, I'm done with VZW. I have to admit that I am offended by their customer service insolence that is disguised by polite jargon. NO ONE likes to be manipulated. We are not ignorant, uneducated nor uninformed

If you can't get a signal why stay with any carrier? Anyway wi-fi calling only kicks in if you have no signal at all. So turn off mobile data and the turn on wi-fi. I'm not sure what the issue is.

0 Likes
n8leav
Enthusiast - Level 1

Adding this reply, which I actually posted to another thread:

I am also frustrated by the fact that I can't enable Wifi preffered. I often have 1 signal bar in my house. I get so many dropped/missed calls throughout my days. It's beyond frustrating. I know for a fact, I can choose this option on other carriers with the same phone (Pixel 3XL). So it definitely is a setting that is disabled by Verizon.  The only way I can force it into Wifi calling to get stable service, is to put it in airplane mode and turn on wifi. However, to me, this is a bigger security concern because when I leave the house I sometimes forget to take it off airplane mode.  Just enable this option Verizon. It would be much appreciated by your customers with the pixel phones.

BearOnTheBeach
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the same issue now. I have an original pixel that worked fine with wifi calling until 2 weeks ago. I did a factory reset because the phone was slowing down and the reset fixed my problems. However, the only new problem is this. I can't send or receive calls or texts over WiFi and wifi calling also doesn't work. This issue will force me and my family off of Verizon within weeks if it's not fixed. We've been with Verizon for over 10 years but it's an essential function. I work in a hospital that blocks cell service so I need to be able to use Wi-Fi. My home has a metal roof that causes low signal too. If I can't use my Verizon wireless phone as intended at home or at work then we'll be finding a new carrier. My Wi-Fi calling is supposedly turned on but it didn't actually work. When I turn on airplane mode at work and then turn on WiFi it won't send or receive SMS because it says it needs a connection. Have you fixed this problem?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're sorry to hear you're having trouble with Wi-Fi Calling, BearOnTheBeach. Your loyalty is appreciated and we truly don't want to see you go. We'd like to take a closer look into this with you. A Wi-Fi connection will not send and receive regular text messages. This would require a cellular signal. Third party messaging apps will allow you to send and receive messages through Wi-Fi. What happens when making and receiving calls? What is the full make and model of your device?  

DanielleR_VZW

0 Likes
fgossieaux
Enthusiast - Level 1

Leaving Verizon soon. I had a pixel 2 that died on me after 2 months, and they made me pay for the replacement -- one of the issues was that the Wifi was not working. My new one worked with Wifi until recently (with wifi preferred). Now I cannot set Wifi preferred, and everytime I have 1 bar (I live in VT) they use celular, which inevitably crashes after a few seconds. Been with them for years with more than $200/mo...moving to Google Fi....

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would be saddened to see you go, fgossieaux. Why did we make you pay for a device if it stopped working after 2 months? Was there any physical damage to the device? Was this device purchased through Verizon? What exactly happens when you try to set up your Wi-Fi? Also, with the 1 bar of service, what does your phone display in terms if a signal(4G/LTE, 3G, 1X)?

JoeyM_VZW

0 Likes