MMS has stopped working on my Pixel 2
instantregan

Coinciding with the most recent security update (Android version 9, security patch level September 5, 2018, Baseband version g8998-00253-1805232234, Build number PPR2.180905.005, my Pixel 2 has ceased sending MMS messages, irregardless of the app used to send them. Google Messages returns an error stating "Message not sent: invalid destination address".

The messages used to be able to send. I can still send regular SMS, and MMS messages are received (albeit delayed), but this error means that I can no longer send messages in group chats, or attach photos to texts.

What can I do?

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MMS has stopped working on my Pixel 2
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It would be difficult to be happy with MMS that’s not working, instantregan.
Working from Leonard_VZW’s steps, let’s take a deeper dive and reset a setting called APN.
Your detail that MMS is not working with any messaging app is why I’d like to try this first.

Here’s the route to take:

From your home screen, navigate to Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile networks > Advanced > Access point names > Touch the Menu icon in the upper right corner > Touch “Reset to default”

After updating that, reboot your Pixel 2 and let us know if you’re able to MMS again.

David_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

instantregan, that is certainly alarming to hear. I'm a frequent participant of group messages, myself, so I definitely understand the struggle. If you place the phone in Safe Mode, does this still happen? Have you tried to send an MMS to a number that you manually input? (Rather than from a pre-saved contact). 

Leonard_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It would be difficult to be happy with MMS that’s not working, instantregan.
Working from Leonard_VZW’s steps, let’s take a deeper dive and reset a setting called APN.
Your detail that MMS is not working with any messaging app is why I’d like to try this first.

Here’s the route to take:

From your home screen, navigate to Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile networks > Advanced > Access point names > Touch the Menu icon in the upper right corner > Touch “Reset to default”

After updating that, reboot your Pixel 2 and let us know if you’re able to MMS again.

David_VZW

0 Likes
instantregan

That worked - thank you both!

0 Likes
BrianRusch

Hello, I am having the same issue on my Pixel 2 and the solution above is not working. Any other solutions I could try?

"From your home screen, navigate to Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile networks > Advanced > Access point names > Touch the Menu icon in the upper right corner > Touch “Reset to default”

After updating that, reboot your Pixel 2 and let us know if you’re able to MMS again."

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BrianRusch, being able to send an MMS can be essential. Our goal is to make sure your phone is working properly at all times. Just clarify, what messaging app are you currently using? Are you having issues sending to all recipients? Are you able to receive MMS? 

Dia_VZW

0 Likes
chupacabra910

Hello, I'm experiencing this issue with my Pixel XL (first generation). Currently operating Android 9:

Security patch level: October 5, 2018

Baseband version: 8996-130181-1806061856

Kernel version 3.18.1-g2513d25 #1 Wed Aug 15 21:24:02 UTC 2018

Build Number: PPR2.181005.003

I've gone through the "Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth" option at least three times. Once without doing anything additional; once followed by a power off and power on; once after clearing/stopping all running applications and then followed by a restart.

I've been experiencing issues with MMS (primarily group chats) with only named contacts in the last several weeks, moreso in the last four days. Today, MMS is totally nonfunctional. I'm using the native "Messages" application within the phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I live on my phone using MMS, chupacabra910, so I understand the need for a repair. You mentioned having "Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth", and that’s always a good start. What happens when you follow the steps to reset the APN at the beginning of this thread?

David_VZW

0 Likes
Mcgivro

I have this problem right now. I have done your solution twice and the problem is still there.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We thank you for the troubleshooting steps you have completed so far, Mcgivro. Rest assured, we will make sure that you are able to send MMS Messages successfully in the end. How long has this been happening? Are you able to send and receive regular SMS messages okay? BrettA_VZW

0 Likes