No calls, texts or data in certain areas, even though I have full service.
easycheese77
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had a Pixel 2 and upgraded to a Pixel 6 pro in November. With both phones there's a specific area in my town where I can't make calls or texts and have no data connection, even though my phones shows full service. I go half mile away and my phone has no problems. I know multiple people with VZ who have no problems in that area. A few days ago, I was in a different city a few hours away and I had the same problem, full service, but I couldn't do anything until I drove to a different part of town. I'm not really sure where to start troubleshooting, because it's happened on two phones now.

Labels (1)
Re: No calls, texts or data in certain areas, even though I have full service.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely want to help make sure you have the service you need. You are right it is strange that it happened with both phones. Just to confirm you no longer have the Pixel 2, right?

We have sent a private message here on this platform to further assistant.

-Dolores

0 Likes
bmjone05
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been going back and forth with Verizon with this issue for months now. They told me to erase everything on my phone and even sent me a REFURBISHED phone even though I bought my phone brand new. None of that worked, and it just left me losing a lot of data to backups. It is frustrating because I think they are aware of the phone's incompatibility with certain antennas, but they aren't giving that as an answer. 

I, just like you, move around a lot and notice that my cell service dies totally when I am at certain busy locations like AIRPORT TERMINALS and CITY CENTERS (Chicago, Detroit, Sioux Falls, Nashville, St. Louis). Tech support keeps saying "oh, it's probably a dead spot" but keep kicking the can down the road when I tell them that it shows a full signal just before disconnecting!

Try this though: When you are in that area where it disconnects, go into your phone settings and search for "Preferred network type" and change the setting to LTE. Does that fix your problem? Does your service return?

If so, Verizon has some explaining to do. When I called Google about the issue, they said "It's a network issue - talk to Verizon." I told Verizon that I should not have to disable my 5G just to receive service when I'm downtown or at the airport because I am PAYING FOR THE UW PLAN.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We always strive to provide you with the service you need, everywhere you go. Please keep in mind, that there are factors outside of our control that can affect your service. This can include building materials, terrain, etc. Please see this link for more information on how your services can be impacted: https://www.verizon.com/support/troubleshooting-wireless-signal-coverage-video/ .

*Ellisandra

0 Likes
bmjone05
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well in this case, it was the phone. For whatever reason, my phone disconnected every time it was near a UW antenna. I tested a separate but same phone with the same SIM card - no issue at all. But let's back up: Verizon shipped me a REFURBISHED PHONE as a replacement for a phone I bought brand new with a defect in the hardware that you all dragged your feet on diagnosing for weeks! I purchased the phone believing it would work when UW went live as you promised, and it did NOT. LIES

BAD BAD BAD.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We always want you to have excellent service. We'd' like to see what's going on. Let's get to the bottom of this. Please send us a Private Note for assistance.*Melissa

0 Likes
jeh1984
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same issue in the town I live (Asheville NC) and it shows I have signal but it will pop-up an ! next to the signal strength.  It isn't just me having the issue.  I spoke to VZW rep here in the Community Form and was told there are having a technical issue in my area but this has been going on since almost January of this year. I use a Pixel 6 Pro on VZW and a Pixel 3 XL which is with TracFone that used VZW towers and my friend who has Straight Talk and the other 3 lines on my account have the same issues in the same areas.  It's been going on long enough and it's ridiculous and I've been with Verizon Wireless for 18 years and back then I could get really great signal everywhere I went and now it s*cks! The other carries are worse than Verizon in my area but I've been debating on switching providers...  

James
www.jpog.info
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 2 XL
Motorola moto g play
0 Likes
bmjone05
Enthusiast - Level 2

Watch your phone carefully before you get to that specific area. Do you notice the signal bar change to a 5G UW before it disconnects? And if you go into your phone's "Preferred network type" and switch it to 4G in that blackout area, do you get your service back?

If so, you will need to have the phone replaced (or repaired, if they'll do that - they will NOT replace with a new phone even if you bought it new. the nitwits). Something is wrong with the antenna.

And if Verizon gives you the runaround by telling you to reset network settings, factory reset, go through Google. Verizon reps have driven me up a smoke stack with this.

0 Likes