Not receiving texts
Thos01
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've talked to multiple people over the past two days, and I haven't received any of their texts.  They checked their phones, and the message status is 'Sent'.  I restarted my phone (Google Pixel) and am able to receive texts again.  But, the previous messages never came through?  Is there any way to recover the messages I may have missed?  I frequently use texts to schedule appointments with clients.  Any idea why I might be experiencing this problem?  I'm in an area with excellent coverage (at least according to the bars on my phone.

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Not receiving texts
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thos01,

That's definitely odd and we want to ensure that you're receiving your messages. While you may not be able to recover the messages we can certainly look to determine what may be going on. Prior to your current device did you have an iPhone? What messaging application are you using? You mentioned that this has been only going on the past two days. Have there been any changes since this started such as new apps, app updates, software updates, or even damage?

AdamG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Thos01
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the reply. I did not receive text messages between the

afternoon of Wednesday, Jan 25th and the afternoon of Saturday, Jan 28th.

I was alerted to the problem by my wife who sent messages that I never

received. I verified that other people had sent me texts that I never

received. Further, I checked the message details on their phones, and it

showed that the message was successfully sent. Texts that I sent did go

through to these people, so it was only a problem with receiving texts.

My wife is also a Verizon customer (on the same account), and she

discovered the same problem (not receiving texts) for a period of days

during this same window in late January. Once I restarted my phone (a

brand new Google Pixel), I was able to receive texts again. My wife has a

different phone, a Droid Turbo.

This problem recurred this morning. I was getting texts last night, but my

wife's texts did not go through to me this morning. Once again, I

restarted my phone and was able to receive texts again. Another service

problem (that may or may not be related) is that I had a missed call from

my in-laws yesterday. I did not get an alert for a Voicemail until I

restarted my phone today.

I have never had an iPhone. My previous phone was a Droid Maxx. I did not

install any new apps that coincided with the time windows of missed texts.

It's possible that apps were updated (as this often happens in the

background whenever I'm connected to wi-fi). No software updates were

installed during these windows, nor is there any physical damage to my

phone. I'm using the default "Messenger" app that came pre-installed on my

phone (not the "Message+" app). The operating system is Android 7.1.1.

Thank you for looking into this problem. I was hoping that it was just a

one-time problem, but the fact that it happened again this morning is

troubling. I'm thinking that this is not a phone-specific issue as my wife

experienced the same problem on a different phone.

Regards,

Thomas

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 7:08 PM, vzw_customer_support <

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does your wife or the other people who didn't have their messages received by your phone use the Verizon Messages+ application? There has been an issue with that application in the last couple of days. While your issue might have occurred before that time period, it might be related. One of the ways around the Verizon Messages+ application issues is to uninstall the application to the factory version and disable it so that the phone defaults to the manufacturer's text messaging application that is also pre-installed. For the DROID Turbo, it was called Messaging and I think had a blue icon.

Is the Verizon Messages+ application installed on your phone? You could uninstall it to verify it wasn't interfering with the other Messenger application.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
missygirl921

I have had multiple issues with my texting as well. 2 days ago I was not recieving messages from people. This occurred right after the update. So then this morning, my phone reset itself to factory setting. Downloaded thousands of messages that were previously deleted. I was using the Samsung app to text. Now I have to have both apps up the Samsung and Verizon to get and send text messages. I have to keep switching back and forth. What is the fix for this issue? Its really frustrating.

0 Likes
krashintome

I am  having the  same ongoing issue. 

0 Likes
Thos01
Enthusiast - Level 2

Last night through this morning was the third occurrence of this problem in the past 3-4 weeks.  I just uninstalled Verizon's Message+ app (even though this is not the app that I had been using for texts).  I'll keep you updated on whether this seems to resolve the issue.

Can someone at Verizon confirm whether their Message+ app interfered with other messaging apps?  In particular the Google Messenger app in my case, or the Samsung messaging app in missygirl921​'s case?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are not interested in using the Verizon Messages application, I would suggest that you disable it and turn off notifications in the application info screen so it doesn't bug you to keep updating it.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Thos01
Enthusiast - Level 2

I disabled the Verizon Messages app a couple of weeks ago on both my own phone and my wife's phone.  This problem recurred for me today. Further, my wife stopped receiving texts a couple of days ago.  The problem is always resolved when we restart our phones. Neither of us had ever experienced this problem until I renewed my contract in early January.

Do you have any other ideas?  Text messaging is a fundamental service that needs to be reliable.  How do you suggest resolving it?

0 Likes
MSPIN2010

I have been having the same issue for the last week. I also have a google Pixel and I first noticed on 3.1.17 that I had not been receiving messages from one individual. She had tried to contact me the prior day and I didn't receive the message ever.  The next day she informed me in person of this message so I tried texting her first, she replied, and that seemed to resolve the issue permanently. I haven't have a problem with it again until today when my mom (who is on the same plan as me) asked me if I received her text this afternoon which I did not.  I called google and spoke to someone who looked at all my setting and told me everything looked good.  I can't seem to figure out what is wrong here but I'm worried that there are more messages I'm missing that I just haven't figured out yet.

0 Likes