Re: Not receiving texts
ImBen
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm not currently using the preinstalled messaging app, I'm using Textra. This issue doesn't appear to be isolated to a particular messaging app as it also effects incoming phone calls. During these times I am able to successfully use data, or at least it appears that way but I may also be connected to wifi. I am able to make calls, I find that making a call is one of the things that will trigger a fix for the issue besides sending a a text after toggling airplane mode. However I am not able to receive a call during this time period though. The only time I realize that this issue is occuring is when I go to send a text and it won't send or if I haven't received any texts for an extended period of time.

0 Likes
Tzonarin
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know for a fact this problem is with either VZW or Google.  Turns out, I did a full Factory wipe on my phone and have installed only handful of apps from Google Play.  Problem still remains, so it's not an errant app, unless the Moto, VZW, or Google apps are to blame.

Notes so far...

1) SMS Texts do not come in timely. Usually, if I know texts are coming in, I have to reboot my phone just to get them. I'm using Android Messages. Tried Messenger as well. Doesn't matter which app.

2) Notifications are often delayed for all of my apps.  They don't come in timely.

3) Installing apps from Google Play, it freezes up at the download, requiring me to do a Force Stop of the Google Play app. Then, it does the download. Force Stop again on Google Play and the app will install.

4) Turned off HD Voice and Video. Waiting to see if this sorts things. Read this on a different board - it might be what fixes it. (Settings -> Advanced Calling).  Might be that HD is requiring more bandwidth and gumming up the works.  Will continue to test on my side.

I so wish I could root my phone...grr.  After all, it's *my* phone.

Tzo

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your support is here! we want to make sure that your device works properly. A master reset can be an effective step. We want to help. It would be best to test the device without third party applications after the reset. I would recommend performing a reset without loading applications or even signing in to Google. There is an option for applications to auto install. This removes the effectiveness of the reset by adding applications back. If the issue occurs after the reset and without applications, it's a device issue.

BobbyN_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ImBen
Enthusiast - Level 1

This answer is not in any way shape or form helpful and is extremely generic, which only makes it even more frustrating. I would rather switch carriers over doing a factory reset on my phone. Which I have tried already in the past. In any case doing a factory reset would not be helpful in addressing this issue due to the fact that it happens sporadically and while using the phone normally. I wouldn't be able to make texts and calls normally (which is when this problem occurs) while having my phone factory reset with nothing on it. Clearly I am not the only person having this problem either.

0 Likes
Tzonarin
Enthusiast - Level 2

Agree. The VZW response was not just overly with weird placating comments that border on insincere, but it did offer precisely no help since my previous post indicated that I had done these things in my initial troubleshooting, as well as present incorrect information.  It doesn't allow me to remove Amazon, Kindle, Audible, NFL Mobile, or the other, non-essential apps that are bundled in so Verizon can make extra money on the ad revenue.  This is why I would prefer to root the device, so I can remove all that [Removed] too.

But I do think I traced the problem back to HD Video and Voice, which is enabled by default.  It would seem that when HD V&V is enabled, it saturates the phone's comm - both on 4G and Wi-Fi.  Turning it off has made worlds difference in me getting notifications and texts.  I've not had a problem with that stuff after turning it off.

Now I never had any problems placing or receiving calls in all of this, so I'm not sure if my fix helps, or if you already tried that, but that's what worked for me.

Tzo

inappropriate content  removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There was an update to the Carrier Services application that I think controls how your phone connects to the network for text messaging and other carrier services. Have you installed that app to see the situation improves?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
ImBen
Enthusiast - Level 1

I couldn't agree more Tzo and I genuinely appreciate your response as it is the first helpful suggestion I've read on this thread. It would make a lot of sense that the Advanced Calling causes this problem, I've just turned it off myself after literally just having the issue happen to me again less than an hour ago. I saw it happen too, I was in a restaurant and lost service for a second and when it came back I wasn't able to send or receive texts, as soon as I toggled airplane mode everything worked again but to have to do this and to not always notice this makes it extremely irritating. Do you think turning off wifi calling would be beneficial as well? I'll report back if disabling Advanced Calling makes any difference. Thanks again!

0 Likes
ImBen
Enthusiast - Level 1

I installed that update yesterday Ann and just had it happen to me again a little while ago, I was hoping this would help or fix it as well

0 Likes
Tzonarin
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Ben: I've had very limited success with Wi-Fi calling on Verizon on my Droid Turbo and Sprint networks through associated devices.  I think a lot of it has to do with how handover works between WiFi and 4G or if internet services are sketchy.  I usually just turn off WiFi Calling completely. 

I know the cell telcoms try to get people on WiFi calling because it's less demand on the towers.

One thing I've used to conduct some of my surveys of tower strength is a tool called OpenSignal. It's a free app that basically will pinpoint where the towers are and the relative strength to the phone.  I need to go out and actually see if OS is pinpointing the towers where they would be.

But overall, I really think those bandwidth saving functions are a little more trouble than they're worth for the average user.  They may work well if you're in a densely covered area, but if coverage is sparse, well, time to turn those things off.

Tzo

0 Likes
mkrause01

I have a Google Pixel on my Verizon plan.  I use the standard, basic "Messages" app.

I can send but haven't received any texts for more than a week.

After multiple calls and hours of diagnostics with tech support I rebooted numerous times and had a new SIM installed up to the point of "time to restore to factory default".  I personally feel that resetting won't change anything and others on this forum and on others have corroborated this.

Additionally, I've cleared cache / data and force stopped/disabled/enabled the Messages app. I then sent multiple text messages from the same app from another working phone and watched the app data and cache on my phone but there was no change from the initial 504kB/32.77kB.  In fact, those sizes persisted for ~18 hours until I stopped and disabled the app in hopes that enabling after a prolonged "disabled" state would wake up the VZW system (wishing & hoping here).

WhatsApp, Hangouts and Voice work fine bidirectionally but of course, they're using proprietary protocol so all bets off.

I feel strongly that this is a Verizon system problem (of course, not my problem 😉 )

Does anyone have any other ideas short of resetting the phone?

0 Likes