OTA updates for pixel 2 xl
tatsudn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello. Couple of weeks ago I bought pixel phone 2 in Verizon store. But I never used Verizon sim card since I'm in other country currently. So question is, should I activate somehow my phone with Verizon sim card to get OTA updates for my phone? And second question is: will I receive OTA updates in general if I use sim card from other providers and not Verizon one?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: OTA updates for pixel 2 xl
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can definitely clarify, tatsudn. Since you are out of the country, you will not be able to use an inactive Verizon SIM for over the air updates. This would require being on the Verizon network, and would only impact your ability to receive updates from Verizon. You would need to use Google's over the air update process to ensure you have the latest software installed. http://spr.ly/6588DEpTo

AndreaS_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Bigboss3rm
Contributor - Level 1

They release the November which contains October on the 6th but I still haven't received the update

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The OTA updates should be available over Wi-Fi and not tied to your carrier for the Pixel phones.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

cyndie1030
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just chatted with Google support because I have not yet received the November security update and he said that they release it but Verizon has to push it.  This is not what my understanding was when buying an unlocked phone directly from Google. 

Very disappointing as I have never gotten updated quickly from Verizon.

Tidbits
Legend

cyndie1030 wrote:

I just chatted with Google support because I have not yet received the November security update and he said that they release it but Verizon has to push it. This is not what my understanding was when buying an unlocked phone directly from Google.

Very disappointing as I have never gotten updated quickly from Verizon.

There's been multiple answers.  Google is dropping the ball on customer support.

The reason why a lot of people have not gotten the update is because it's being updated in a staggered manner.  My Pixel 2 straight from Google got the update, and my Pixel 2 XL straight from Google is still waiting for the update.  Over the course of the next couple weeks updates will come to everyone, but it goes out based on random IMEI selection. 

Tidbits
Legend
KEVSCH17
Enthusiast - Level 2

November 20th...

still no update...

Tidbits
Legend

KEVSCH17 wrote:

November 20th...

still no update...

Some people on the Google sold ones the same no update.  It has little to do with Verizon and more to do with the staggered release Google does.

tatsudn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same for me. Still waiting (

KEVSCH17
Enthusiast - Level 2

Google says that it is Verizon that is holding up things.  All phones would have been updated 2 weeks after the release of the security patch; we are past the 2 week mark.

Just passing the information, it would seem Google and Verizon need work on communication