Pixel 2 xl fingerprint scanner stopped working already
Scotbott
Enthusiast - Level 1

Anyone having issues with the pixel 2 or XL fingerprint scanner?  Mine completely stopped working and even responding just 2 days in to owning this thing...

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Pixel 2 xl fingerprint scanner stopped working already
stef7
Master - Level 2

If you boot to SAFEMODE does it work? If so, maybe some downloaded program is interfering.

Download the app "Phone Tester". When you run it, are you able to get the sensor to respond. If so, maybe it's the unlock program that is having an issue?

Since it's so new, I'd try doing a Factory Data Reset on the device, and see if it starts working again. Backup anything critical before you do so to a PC.

I think the 2XL is made by LG. Maybe you could contact the manufacturer. The phone may be defective.

mama23dogs
Legend

Yeah, I wouldn’t touch anything made by LG these days.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Well, I've heard of "boot loop" issues, but I've personally had an LG Spectrum, Spectrum2, LG G2 and LG G4 that have all been flawless. I have an LG Urbane 2nd Ed Smartwatch that is two years old and technically is more advanced that anything else out there... Unfortunately Verizon is holding back the Android Wear 2.0 update. ATT users of the smartwatch have had it for some time.

Have you personally have had an issue with an LG device?

Look at the forums here, and neither the widely promoted Samsung nor Apple phones are immune from issues.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

I haven’t used an LG phone since 2013, Which is when they started having problems.  The G4 and newer have had both boot loop, battery usage and shut down problems.  The problems have recurred in subsequent phones and have been chalked up to simple soldering failures, according to LG. 

Knowing why, and 4 years not fixing it, gives me pause.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

I think when you are manufacturing items this complex, and this tiny, there are bound to be QC issues. I personally do not think production issues plague one manufacturer more than others.

You have to assume, if someone reports a problem here, it's probably being experienced elsewhere, true. However, inferring what the ultimate population is that are affected would be problematic.

Do you believe they have not fixed soldering issues with the G6? How about the V10, V20, and now V30?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We hope you're enjoying your phone so far, Scotbott. It's important all features of the device work properly. Let's take a closer look at this. What happens when using the fingerprint scanner? Have you tried removing the scanner and setting it up again, http://spr.ly/65848CB8i? It may help to add more than one fingerprint as well. 

DanielleR_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

stef7 wrote:

I think when you are manufacturing items this complex, and this tiny, there are bound to be QC issues. I personally do not think production issues plague one manufacturer more than others.

You have to assume, if someone reports a problem here, it's probably being experienced elsewhere, true. However, inferring what the ultimate population is that are affected would be problematic.

Do you believe they have not fixed soldering issues with the G6? How about the V10, V20, and now V30?

Since the G2 there has been bootloop problems that includes everything up to the G6.  Even cases of V20(mine has refunded as soon as I saw it happen).  With their 2 year warranty they said they fixed the problem.  Even with that the amount of devices I go through I have seen more problems since the G2 to the G6(didn't get any device after the V20 from LG).  For me if they want me to trust their products right now they'd have to reimburse me for 5 devices they gave me the cold shoulder on.  Nexus 5X, G2, G3, G4, and V10.  If not I will watch them a few years before I try again.

https://goo.gl/7Sk4xZ

stef7
Master - Level 2

Very interesting reading. Thank you.

mama23dogs
Legend

Aside from the hardware and software issues, there is concern about lack of updates.  Android updates are usually a monthly ritual.  LG has had somewhere like 4 updates in 12 months.