Pixel 3a purchased through Google now locked to Verizon?
alex2112

A few months ago, I bought a new Google Pixel 3a through the Google online store.  I chose Verizon as my carrier when I ordered it.  It arrived with a Verizon SIM preinstalled but since I was switching from my iPhone 7 which was already on my Verizon account, I simply put the SIM card from the iPhone into the Pixel and was good to go.  Last month, I got accepted to a one-year master's program in the UK.  I just moved and have my Pixel with me and I want to buy a prepaid SIM here the UK through a local carrier like EE or Vodafone so that I can use my phone while here. 

I bought a SIM card but when I insert it my Pixel shows a notification saying that this SIM card cannot be used and I need to ask Verizon to unlock my phone.  Tapping the notification brings me to the Verizon help site.  I called and spoke with three different Verizon tech support technicians and none of them were able to figure out why my phone is locked to Verizon.  I also talked to two different Google support technicians and they said that Google doesn't lock phones to carriers, even if you select a specific carrier when buying a phone through them.  They said the carrier selection only means that there will be a SIM card for that carrier pre-installed in the phone, but the phone isn't locked.  They said Verizon must have locked the phone and to talk to them.  I'm almost at the point where I'm going to dump this phone and Verizon altogether and just buy a truly unlocked international phone to use while I'm overseas.  Can anyone shed any light as to why my phone is saying it's locked and why Verizon tech support can't see the lock on my SIM or IMEI?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Pixel 3a purchased through Google now locked to Verizon?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

alex2112, 

Congratulations on being accepted to a one year master's program. That sounds really exciting and adventurous.

I am so sorry you have had to contact us several times to see how to unlock your device that was purchased through Google to use in the UK. 

I would be glad to share our Device Unlocking Policy with you for clarification

http://spr.ly/660618JdG. We will only lock Verizon branded devices that are purchased at Verizon for 60 days once you have had the phone activated on our network. All devices automatically unlock after 60 days. 

Unlocking a device:
•Refers only to disabling software that prevents an individual (customer or non-customer) from attempting to activate the device on another carrier's network (even if the networks are compatible).
•Does not make the device fully inter-carrier operable. Carriers use different frequencies or bands and air interface technologies to provide network wireless access.
•May not enable all device functionality.

Have you had the device more than 60 days (I know you mentioned a few month, but I want to make sure it has been at least 30 days). We just are not able to troubleshoot a device that is not active with Verizon. 

TamaraH_VZW

0 Likes
thera

I've had the pixel 3a for more than 60 days after I have paid off thedevice. It is still locked. Please help.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We can definitely assist you. Please send us a Private Message by visiting our Facebook page or sending a DM to @VZWSupport on Twitter. This way resolve this device issue quickly.

GinaU_VZW

0 Likes