Pixel 3aXL locked to VZ network (I'm in VZ prison)
bwmcquillen
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had an unlocked VZ Pixel 3a XL.  I was using it with Project Fi.  Everything was fine till it got water damaged.  I sent it to Google for repair and they sold me a replacement refurbished Pixel 3a XL since it would be less costly than repairing the water damaged one.  Of course, the phone they sent me was locked to VZ, so when I put my Google Fi SIM in, it gave me an error message.  I called VZ and went to VZ store pleading for unlock, but they said I need to be on VZ network 60 days.  Expained that this was a replacement for an unlocked phone, but to no avail.  So, I got a prepaid SIM from VZ so I could at least use the phone.  Since then, I've chatted with VZ several times, several agents tell me the phone is eleigible to be unlocked, but when they try, they get error.  Anyway, I think this is a flaw in the VZ system that does not allow for someone needing a replacement when their old phone had already met the unlock requirements.  Therefore, I have 39 days left in my VZ jail sentence till I can use my Google Fi SIM with my number. 

If there is any other way, besides porting my number to VZ, please let me know!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Pixel 3aXL locked to VZ network (I'm in VZ prison)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would happy to assist with this issue. Click here to learn about the Carrier Lock Policy: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/device-unlocking-policy/. Please send us a Private Message by clicking this link: http://m.me/verizon.  CassieG_VZW

0 Likes
bwmcquillen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi CassieG, thanks for the reply.  I've already seen the carrier unlock policy.  The problem is, I had an unlocked Pixel 3a XL phone which had previously met the 60 day unlock rule and I was using it on Google Fi.  That device got damaged, and was replaced by Google with a refurbished phone, which, unfortunaltely is locked to VZ, which means that for 60 days I cannot use my Google Fi SIM and, thereofre cannot use my Google Fi number and am paying VZ $40/month for two months for a temporary number, on top of the $350 that I plaid for the refurbished replacement phone, just to unlock my phone.  My old phone and the refurbished phone (before I got it I'm sure) were on the network more than 60 days.  I am looking for help to get unlocked before I have to pay a second month of service on a temporary number.  Unfortunately, after many attempts contacting customer support, seems like it will not happen.  Because a phone is refurbished, VZ considers it "new"?

Sorry, could ne send a Private Message as I am not on Facebook and not going to sign up for Facebook just to send a Private Massage. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We do want to help however we can, bwmcquillen. We are unable to unlock a device before the 60 days. The phone will be automatically unlocked on the 61st day. Let us know if you have any questions.

KourtneyC_VZW

0 Likes
bwmcquillen
Enthusiast - Level 2

So does that mean I need to pay for 3 months of service to get my device unlocked?  If I just do 2 months, that's 60 days, since my plan goes inactive on say 60, what happens since the phone gets unlocked on day 61? 

I'm super frustrated that I'm stuck in this situation since I already had an unlocked phone and I was sold a refurbished phone which likely already had 60 days on it also in the past. 

Every day I think, maybe I should just port my number to Verizon, give up on waiting to have my Google Fi service and number back. Then I think about how mad I really am at Verizon on this and I remind myself that I should never ever think about switching to Verizon.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know how important it is to have a device that performs the way you need it to, bwmcquillen. Have you gotten in touch with Google regarding the exchanged device?

PeterP_VZW

0 Likes
bwmcquillen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I contacted Google. They said only Verizon can unlock it. 

0 Likes