Re: Pixel 5a not receiving SMS messages.
taccat
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found this solution on Reddit and it worked for me. I hope this helps everyone else that has this problem:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/pd90g6/pixel_5a_not_receiving_any_text_messages

Top comment:

Here is the advice that worked for me and some others.

Log into your Verizon Wireless account, go to Account > Devices > Activate Or Switch Account. From there, Activate An Existing Line. You should see your new 5a already listed but still click to activate it anyway. Texts started coming through a few min after that.

Part of the process is receiving a text message from Verizon. Luckily, My son's phone was available for that part since both my wife and my phones were in the same situation. Hopefully other people with the same problem will be able to figure it out using these steps too.

Good luck all.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there, KurtFreeman76. It sounds like since you used your old SIM card, that your CDMA-less feature wasn't able to provision. There are 2 things that must occur with 5G devices and CDMA-less devices:  If the old device was not 5G, you'll want to make sure the SIM card being swapped is a 5G SIM or some phone features may not work. If the new device is CDMA-less and the old SIM is compatible, you'll need for us to update the provisioning manually since that only occurs automatically if a new SIM card was inserted at the time the new device was activated. 

-Ebony

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi, SackettsSlave! We are here to help. To confirm, is the SIM card presently in your phone from your previous device? -Lorenzo

0 Likes
andirobinson
Enthusiast - Level 3

The solution in the Reddit link worked for us too! Thank you!

SackettsSlave

Hi, Lorenzo.  The SIM card in my phone is not from the previous device.  After the first attempt at activating it with the old SIM card, I went to the Verizon store where they gave me a new 5g SIM and it still did not do the trick.  That is the short version.  The long version includes the multiple hours spent on the phone with both Verizon and Google tech support trying every angle such as setting CDMA-less, resetting network, tech support performing the activation, restarts, new SIM cards and even trying to activate the eSIM card.  Nothing.  The network may on occasion appear to be connected but calls will get dropped as soon as I attempt to test them and then the network signals bars change from full to empty with an "x" through them.  Just to clarify since many of these post talk about some features not work specifically texting, no network features are working on my new 5a.  Calls in or out?  No.  Texts in or out?  No.  Data?  No.  The phone and the website would register that I have successful activated the new device with either SIM card used but it just would not connect.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would like to check the coverage in your area to see if there are any known service issues that can be causing for this to happen. What is your full address? ~David

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good day, taccat. We are sorry that your wife is experiencing some messaging issues, and we want to help. We need some additional information to explore options to resolve this issue. Is this messaging issue happening in a specific place (home, office, school, other)?

The original message here indicated that the Pixel 5a cannot receive messages, is your wife able to send messages?

What messaging application is your wife using?

-Antonio

0 Likes
taccat
Enthusiast - Level 2

I posted a message (at the top of page 2) with the resolution that worked for both my wife's and my phones.

There were some additional activation steps necessary on the verizon website.

We no longer need assistance. Performing the activation steps have resolved our sms message receipt and visual voicemail issues.

BRESTO47
Enthusiast - Level 3

My 5A behaves like this:  it will text out, but no received texting, intermittent signal, calling drops, it will send text.  The Verizon folks tried to set it up for me when I went in to get a new 5g sim card.  I have spent 3 hours on the phone with Verizon support and 1 hour in the store.  I have tried taccat's link to a solution.  It didn't help.

The only thing I have not done is contact support and asked for my line to be converted to a CDMA-less line.   

I am kind of reluctant to do this I guess because the IMEI checker says my phone is not compatible with Verizon.  If I get someone who isn't aware of this issue, I will waste another 3 hours talking to support. 

I am not going to get away from Pixel phones -- they fit my needs and the A line is fantastic for the prices.  I can't go back to the phones  carried by Verizon so I should probably find a carrier that plays better with Google Pixel phones.  

Thank you.

0 Likes
kelster1101
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you!!! After hours of searching, this worked for me!